Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Roll Call - Older Kooks & Seasoned Age Kiteboarders

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:55 am

markchatwin wrote:For me it isn't all feather landings when I jump with a Twin Tip. I'm getting better at it and recommend a kite that lands the jump smoothly.
Make sure you're lines are in tune so you're not stalling the kite when you're in the air... then it's just a matter of redirecting at the right time - which is probably later than you think. Use the kite to lift and catch you, and when you balls up anything, getting the kite above you saves gnarly splash-downs. If you are going to splash down hard, let your feet skip out from under you and ass-first the landing.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:07 am

Good advice, use your ass not your ankles and knees to absorb potential bad landings. Even after all these years my ass is my saviour...even land on the side if you have to, just avoid using your ankles and kness as levers against the pull of a kites power...if ya gonna go down, then relax and take it in the ass...(that's what she said...lol).

However only four months ago I forget this advice after so many years and tried to take the landing from a double back roll with back loop and did my miniscus in the right knee.

Only 40 but already having to significantly curtail what I attempt. But that's cool I'm still out there having fun hey!

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:56 am

pj sofine wrote:Wow, I'm in my mid fifties and I kite like a 20yr old! ...
What? You never actually get out riding? You walk around on the beach all day and bitch about being strapless and unhooked and riding C kites and boots and being steezy and legit board sports? :jump:

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works
Been thanked: 0

Postby tony montana » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:10 am

Nyad swims from cuba to florida 65 years young very inspiring,go for it as she said nothing is impossible,TONY

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:18 pm

OzBungy wrote:
pj sofine wrote:Wow, I'm in my mid fifties and I kite like a 20yr old! ...
What? You never actually get out riding? You walk around on the beach all day and bitch about being strapless and unhooked and riding C kites and boots and being steezy and legit board sports? :jump:
You got me! You forgot about spending more time chattin' up the ladies! Although it's pretty pathetic at my age! :duh:

bobber
Rare Poster
Local Beach: I kite at Wildcat in Portland, TX
Style: intermediate
Gear: Core, Ozone, Crazyfly, Airfush
Been thanked: 0

Postby bobber » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:20 pm

The good thing about kiteboarding is that you can push hard or you can throttle back and take it easy. When my body feels good, I go for it. If something is hurting, I throttle back and take it easy. Seems to work for me. I'm in my 60's and have been kiting for a little over two years. I expect to be kiting in my 70's.

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:49 pm

I'm almost in my mid fifties and genuinely believe it's a mental thing also.

I had a minor setback last December with a broken ankle and leg (kiteloops) but was immediately back on the water once the cast was removed, by the way I found the cast fitted perfectly in my snowboard boots with the liner removed and managed to score the best snowkiting we've ever had here in the UK

This is a vid from this summer, oh by the way it also helps to have a beautiful wife considerably younger too! :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyGz9adI ... QMcmflueTw

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:05 am

bobber wrote:The good thing about kiteboarding is that you can push hard or you can throttle back and take it easy. When my body feels good, I go for it. If something is hurting, I throttle back and take it easy. Seems to work for me. I'm in my 60's and have been kiting for a little over two years. I expect to be kiting in my 70's.
I do this all the time. I ride around and boost and carve and stuff then get bored so I go on a big upwinder. The load on the body during an upwind run is constant but controlled so you can go for ages. I then blast downwind, carve all the waves I checked out upwind, then do some more boosting to finish off.

A week ago I was riding in the lagoon at Lord Howe Island. I kite looped to save a messed up jump and came down hard and split the tail of my board. Rather than give up and go home to mope I spend the last hour cruising up and down inside the reef checking out the coral and turtles and looking at the view. It looked like this:

I strongly disagree with the advice to bum splash your landings. You will get knocked around far more doing that than doing a proper re-direction and landing planing. There are two secrets. One is to learn how to jump properly so that you edge and pop and fly (and not just levitate), and the other is to learn how to do small jumps using the correct technique. Most people just haul in the bar, lift their leg, then drift along bum first. That is wrong on so many levels.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:59 am

I strongly disagree with the advice to bum splash your landings. You will get knocked around far more doing that than doing a proper re-direction and landing planing

well that's is stating the bleeding obvious, if you do the above there is no need to use your body to take a hit.

We are talking about when the above doesn't work and the worst thing you can do is use your knees and ankles to absorb the force.

Lord Howe...wow!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:32 am

:lol: Thanks, Westozzy.

When the wind's gusty, you might go up really nicely then suddenly get dropped cos the gust has died . . . you can redirect all you like, but you're still coming down hard. Rather than slam all my weight on my board and knees, like I've jumped off the roof of the house, I'll splash-down on my bum.

Only get knocked around when I drop down in the surf, get nailed by the waves . . .

Return to “Kitesurfing”