*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: 10m rally and 12m rpm?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:35 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:29 pm
Posts: 137
I have a(2011) 10m Rally which has good power for size being a delta. A (2010) 12m RPM has just come up for grabs but no wind to test. But...is 12 rpm going to be a bit too close power wise to 10m Rally?


{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: 10m rally and 12m rpm?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:55 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:36 pm
Posts: 1132
I'm no expert on these kites, but there have been past topics describing how the 12m RPM is really less than 12 m in size and very close to the 10m RPM.

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2375293

I think the Rally's tend to have more power per size than the RPM, so that 10m Rally might have more power than the 12m RPM!


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: 10m rally and 12m rpm?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:22 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:29 pm
Posts: 137
davesails7 wrote:
I'm no expert on these kites, but there have been past topics describing how the 12m RPM is really less than 12 m in size and very close to the 10m RPM.

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2375293

I think the Rally's tend to have more power per size than the RPM, so that 10m Rally might have more power than the 12m RPM!


Holy moly. Thanks for that! That seems to be repeated in other posts. Just can't find a S/H 14m rally which I really want. Think I will stick to that plan!


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: 10m rally and 12m rpm?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:38 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:21 am
Posts: 402
Holy moly. Thanks for that! That seems to be repeated in other posts. Just can't find a S/H 14m rally which I really want. Think I will stick to that plan![/quote]
There's a 2012 14 mtr rally for 775$ on Ikitesurf


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: 10m rally and 12m rpm?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:19 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:49 pm
Posts: 240
I have Rally's (2013), come from 9 years of Fuels and tried enough rpms's: The rally 12 has more low-end than the RPM 12. I think the RPM 12 is way to close to a rally 10.

I weigh 95 kg and the Rally 12 is my biggest kite, giving me enough power with an alaia to start around 9-10 knots, waveboard (flat rocker, wide) around 12 and twintip around 14, ending around 22 knots (can probably go upward, but prefer an 8 from 18 knots).

I also think that the combi 10-12 Rally is to close. So either take a Rally 14 for really good low-end or loose the 10 and go for a 8-12 or 9-12 combi.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: 10m rally and 12m rpm?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:36 am 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:54 pm
Posts: 6
Did you think about getting 12m2 rally and 9 or 8m2 RPM? Because with rallys you have lot more low end power+big board makes you a winner, and when higher winds blows you have rpm with better top wind abilities than rally if you ask me..both are nice kites but for your big kite you should think about rally because of its low end..

I have 12 rally really sweeeeeet kite and 9 rev2 and some times i feel i still have much overlap...so i am thinking about my advice to you getting 8 rpm for my 70kg.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: 10m rally and 12m rpm?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:13 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:29 pm
Posts: 137
XMM wrote:
Did you think about getting 12m2 rally and 9 or 8m2 RPM? Because with rallys you have lot more low end power+big board makes you a winner, and when higher winds blows you have rpm with better top wind abilities than rally if you ask me..both are nice kites but for your big kite you should think about rally because of its low end..

I have 12 rally really sweeeeeet kite and 9 rev2 and some times i feel i still have much overlap...so i am thinking about my advice to you getting 8 rpm for my 70kg.


Thanks for everyone's help. Good thinking on your 8 RPM and Rally 12, seems ideal, maybe in the future? Seems the RPM 12 is a bit odd for it's supposed size, not powerful for it's size compared with other RPM sizes. I really like my Rally 10m, my most used kite, so aim to base other kites around that. I think now only the 14m Rally will do that with a decent gap in power. Anyone in UK got one for sale?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: 10m rally and 12m rpm?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:17 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:29 pm
Posts: 137
magic%20Ed wrote:
I have Rally's (2013), come from 9 years of Fuels and tried enough rpms's: The rally 12 has more low-end than the RPM 12. I think the RPM 12 is way to close to a rally 10.

I weigh 95 kg and the Rally 12 is my biggest kite, giving me enough power with an alaia to start around 9-10 knots, waveboard (flat rocker, wide) around 12 and twintip around 14, ending around 22 knots (can probably go upward, but prefer an 8 from 18 knots).

I also think that the combi 10-12 Rally is to close. So either take a Rally 14 for really good low-end or loose the 10 and go for a 8-12 or 9-12 combi.


How did your small rpm compare with Rally ? I am thinking yours and XMM's way, not sure if 8 Rally or 8 RPM to go with 12 Rally.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: 10m rally and 12m rpm?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:49 am 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:54 pm
Posts: 6
Last year i sold my 15m2 rev kite and if you ask me i would not reccomend you to go 14m rally (it is true i dont know this size and how it rides) because when you try 12 you will fall in love in sec.. I do not know anything about your riding style, experiences, conditions and weight but for my 70kg i tell you i ride the same amount of time on 12rally as i was able to do it on my 15m, and feeling is much better faster turning, kite speed (anyway that rev's are one of the quickiest kites), am also more confident when wind get stronger (you ride at the sime time people rides 8m2), plenty of time to check conditions when riding and decide or to go to smaller kite or go bigair:))

try getting some skimboard first or something simmilar to airrush slayer I bet you will have much more fun time compare to crousing up and down with TT, i have hoemade skim super fun on wake not yet tested on kite but i assume it can't be worse than wake just better..

at the end personal preferences and pleasure nothing else matters:)
make a good choice and happy riding ;)


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: 10m rally and 12m rpm?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:01 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:10 pm
Posts: 470
I am 75 kg and have 2 sessions in on the Rally 12m (2014) which has supposedly a bit more low end than the 2012's or 2013's. I can tell you that I do not need a 14m Rally. I would easily just jump to my 17m Zephyr when the wind becomes too light for the 12m Rally. However if I only had a 10m Rally as my biggest kite I would assume I need a kite in between the 10m Rally and 17m Zephyr.

So do you get a 12m RPM? - I don't think so unless the attributes of the RPM are what you desire, i.e. freestyle/jumping/quickness/higher wind... But the wind differential between a 10m Rally and 12m RPM can't be that much different.

One thing I have read from several riders is that the new 2014 14m Rally is a set and forget kite. Doesn't turn fast and pulls strongly. Lofty as well. These riders really like it. All riders who have flown both the 2013 Rally 14m and the 2014 Rally 14m prefer the 2014. I have flown the 2013 14m Rally and did not like it's flying characteristics, too slow, too floppy. My Zephyr seems just as fast as that kite and is so refined in it's flying characteristics. I have read that the 2012 Rally's are faster so that may be a viable, cost effective option.

I think it's more "What do you want to do with your bigger kite?" Do you want to free ride and have good low wind capability? Do you want to jump/freestyle with your big kite? Ride waves? The answers might make the choice easier...


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], eytan, Geronimo79 and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group