Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pacasmayo waves - Windsurfers have priority?

Forum for kitesurfers
jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pacasmayo waves - Windsurfers have priority???

Postby jakemoore » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:46 am

Kiters should give a wave to a windsurfer. So much easier to catch a wave on a kite. Also the stakes are higher for the windsurfer and their ability to yield is less. There will be another wave for the kiter.

Both kiters and windsurfers should give a wave to somebody paddling in not because they are first but they actually have to swim to get the wave. There is just no reason to snake waves from a surfer. And there will be another wave for the kiter and windsurfer.

Jake

donchin
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby donchin » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:58 am

kenny KAF wrote:I do not have any surfing background so I may miss a point somewhere BUT, to ME, nobody owns the sea, nobody owns a wave, nobody can tell someone that there is a law to observe and to agree with even if this law is not something really legal and written in a country.

Because you live near the sea gives you priority over somebody else? F...K NO!! Who are you to claim you deserve more respect than a man coming to the spot for the first time??? Apart being some selfish bastard with enormous ego, I don't see what can prove you're right!!!

If you are not intelligent enough to play on the sea (because that's what we do: play) in good terms with others, you should really take a therapy.

I read the same kind of message last year on a french forum: The authorities were looking to ban the access to a huge beach which is perfect for any wind activity: kite or windsurf. One guy was claiming over kitesurf forums that it was a good point as it will send back to their homes everybody coming to this beach for the week-end leaving him the place to practice his kite-buggy as he was just hating kitesurfers... He was saying that he could still go to this beach as he was a local rider and did not care about the laws but was ok with it so others could not come anymore. This kind of statment is just plain stupid and show how silly humans can be!!!

Now, when I kitesurf, I go far away offshore: far from the beginners so I do not disturb them from learning, far from the surfers because they crash regulary and do not respect the sailing priorities once in the waves, far from the so-called experts (by themselves) doing the wakestyle as they are freaking dangerous (claiming the flat water is THEIR riding area)... Well, I ride away from anyone who could disturb me or I could disturb myself but I find there are too many people thinking for themselves rather than looking at what goes around them...

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Yeah, you clearly missed the point.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:05 am

jakemoore wrote:Kiters should give a wave to a windsurfer. So much easier to catch a wave on a kite. Also the stakes are higher for the windsurfer and their ability to yield is less. There will be another wave for the kiter.

Both kiters and windsurfers should give a wave to somebody paddling in not because they are first but they actually have to swim to get the wave. There is just no reason to snake waves from a surfer. And there will be another wave for the kiter and windsurfer.

Jake

Are you talking about giving way to a windsurfer regarding tacking on your port or starboard?

Or do you mean on a wave?

If it is the first I agree. Their speed is very inconsistent. They can be at a crawl then before you know it be a break neck speed. I always find working with windsurfers really hard to judge. You can have 6 kiters all working well in a lineup then one windsurfer comes in and the whole shebang goes to shit. Annoys me a little actually.

But if its the second I say bullshit to that. Same rules apply. You will find though that if they get a good speed run as the swell builds , they can ride at a really acute angle to the wind hence at times will out point you anyway and come up behind you on a wave, it is then I graciously get off. But if you are upwind of them and in the right spot, then they should give way.

Although I tend to allow them to ride the wave with me if it is not critical. Who cares right and sometimes its a lot of fun watching someone else crank down the line in front of you.

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:52 am

I see the windsurfers struggling in light wind. When he/she does get up and into one I am sort of elated the ya finally got on the spot, and I back right off for them to go. "Go for ya' life!" There will be another one for me in a minute or two....Thanks Jake Moore for that very good point.
These users thanked the author windrupted for the post:
sarc (Mon May 15, 2023 2:27 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Hasse
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Agger, Hanstholm
Style: Wave and foil. Little freestyle.
Gear: Gin kites, Hyde Kites, Kauper.

Postby Hasse » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:39 am

andrepen wrote:Well Toby,

Thats a point: I believe surfers have priority over windsurfers and kiters.... and tow in... Because they are paddling, what is harder than sailing... Otherwise they wouldnt catch any wave when there are sailors around.

But windsurfers and kitesurfers are at the same level, I believe.

Andre
Correct. Surfer have priority over "sails".

I even think it is a law at a faster "boat/sailship" should beware off slower. And her you can use it :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

VOMKB
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force

Postby VOMKB » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:18 pm

It seems to me that if those are the rules of the spot, then there is no argument.

donchin
Frequent Poster

Postby donchin » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:35 pm

VOMKB wrote:It seems to me that if those are the rules of the spot, then there is no argument.

those are the rules of EVERY surf spot.

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:21 pm

donchin wrote:
VOMKB wrote:It seems to me that if those are the rules of the spot, then there is no argument.

Agree,TONY

VOMKB
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force

Postby VOMKB » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:59 am

donchin wrote:

It seems to me that you are missing the point. The person that started this post said that he ignored the rules displayed at El Faro. Thus, whether the rules are the ones accepted EVERYWHERE or they are LOCALS rules, there isn't an argument for whether they should be followed or not. It's a similar concept to abiding by the rules/laws in a country you are visiting. I hope this clarifies my first post.

Jaime

uncle sammy
Medium Poster

Postby uncle sammy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:35 am

No way that i will give way to a windsurfer if i am allready on the wave and he's just coming in.
basic surfing rules state that the one closest to the peak "owns" the wave.
Same problem with SUP Vs surfing, but we manage to get along (most of the time).

Return to “Kitesurfing”