All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Great Lakes Kite Map
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:31 am 
Rare Poster

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, but figured I could share this here for you and also request some help.

I've assumed the task of crowdsourcing a map for the Great Lakes region (chicagokitesurfing.com) of ALL kiteboarding spots. This includes snowkiting and landkiting too! I appreciate any and all spots you know of and care to share.

Also, new kiters, this is a list of locations with some info, but each spot has its own intricate set of complications. Please do not show up with a kite and get you or anyone else hurt or we will lose kiting privileges. Bring a local buddy who's knowledgeable and be safe, not stupid.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer?mid=zyguk5w-1uO4.kd_StJIWwAWM

My legend is as follows:

Green: Suitable for beginners.
Yellow: For kiters who can ride upwind with moderate board skills.
Orange: Avoid these locations if possible. Kiters must be advanced. IKO3/PASA2 level skills recommended.
Red: Limited access sites. Potential for danger. Not recommended or require IKO3/PASA2 certification.
Brown: Open grassy areas suitable for landkiting and snowkiting in the winter.
Blue: Open area frozen lakes suitable for snowkiting.

I'm putting a lot of work into this and it is 100% free for the community. Google's maps engine is still in Beta testing, but it "should" have more features when the final product comes out. I'm scouring the internet, but always appreciate any spots you can send my way. Please include: Address, Launch difficulty, Parking and fees, General notes.

Share the stoke!

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Great Lakes Kite Map
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:57 am 
Rare Poster

How do we add to this? There are alot if northern spots i can add

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:04 am 
Rare Poster

Pm me the info. We can also do gmail if its faster for you. I'm personally adding the spots for the sake of consistency and clarity.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:05 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Thank God you missed the main spots on E Grand Traverse bay, Acme, Maple Bay and Elk rapids, Not to mention snowkiting on Elk lake, Skegmog, and Manistee lake. Maple Bay/Petobago is one of the best flatwater site in MI.
Not to mention the many sites on M22.

[ 4 posts ]