All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: is it possible to add 5th line point to old C kite??
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:36 pm 
Medium Poster

i have a old 12m cabrinha CO2 from 2003 that has only been used for literally minutes and spent the rest of its life in the bag being moved from place to place (case of 'no idea' teaches 'even less idea' the wrong way to kite= painful sand rash!!) its in perfect new/crispy condition and recently i have been trying it out due to my usual 12m constantly having problems and letting me down.
the bar it came with has basic 2003 QR and above the power strap leash point...for this reason i tried it with a north quad bar a few times..i learned 1 day on the water and later on here that its shouldnt be flown on that bar.
i am having a loop/eye sewn at the centre of the LE for a pump attachment anyway..and have seen on EVOs they have 2 loops,..1x pump, 1 x 5th line...

my question is

would i be able to then use say a north 5th element bar if i measured out pigtails for the 5th line and fronts to compensate for the Y

would i also be right in thinking i can use any newer brand 'single line flagging' bar set up?

although 4 line bar doesnt help with relaunching which is the main reason for the 5th line question and i fancied trying out a 5 line kite.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: is it possible to add 5th line point to old C kite??
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:43 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

1) you should not need pigtails to compensate for the Y, you can run a standard north bar with equal line lengths. C kites are usually tolerant of the pinching of the high Y. But you will need a 5th line because mini-5th bars with the high Y won't flag out on a C kite -- no bridle.

2) yes you can use any single line flagging bar with the low V -- this is what I use on all my old C kites. To relaunch, simultaneously pull in a single center line and the opposite rear line, when the kite rotates, relax your grip on the center line and pull the rear line be careful there will be line slack dont get a wrap on the bar. Or swim to the kite until it rolls on its back. When you flag out on a single center line you get spaghetti on a C kite it just spins and spins -- this is one reason most C kiters use the 5 line system.

3) yes, you can use a 5 line bar, that's what most people use. You will want to adjust it so that there is some slack in the 5th line. When you look up at the kite, make sure the 5th line does not pinch the shape of the kite. You will have to add about two meters of leader to the kite --- you always want the bar to have equal lengths, 5th, center and rear lines, so add the leader to the kite not the bar.

4) you are smart in not using that old cabrinha bar those things are so dangerous!

have fun!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:41 pm 
Medium Poster

thanks edt

i used a single line flag bar so know the spaghetti thing from experience as most do i'm sure, also know how to relaunch just want to able to do it quickly as if i crashed in the wrong spot i'd be pushed toward boats and mooring lines hence the 5th line,

i was planning brining a line down, just was not sure if 5 lines are all the same length..i am now though thanks.

never used a 5 line...anything to be wary of..not a line wrap as no waves where i am..come to think of it no friggin wind either!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:41 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

You should be good go for it. remember to add a leader to the 5th line tit u want equal lines on your bar the 5th line has further to go

[ 4 posts ]