Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Re: Is foilboarding the future?

Postby BraCuru » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:17 pm

lander wrote:How does this wider board work in bigger chops ? Doesn't catch ?
That was my main concern before I put the first 55cm into water. No problems with 55. A fat rail with proper design of the edge pretends a hard catching or crash stops and it helps to go upwind very smooth through the chop.
BTW: A lot depends of length of the drift. I reckon 60cm width would easily work with a 100cm plus drifts.

More tests under way :)
I am going to test a 60cm next weekend.
Bille wrote:That is NOT a Lot of money !!
Affraid that Formula Windsurfing riders count it in different way paying 1000$ ish for a single blade.
And if that's really the reason for the rule, then there should be an Open-Class to
promote More and better technology ; otherwise there just promoting stagnation
for the sport.
It is amazing, interesting and even shocking that the brand new revolutionary kite racing class established just couple years ago might be received now like the RSX class just because of the foil :wink:
More seriously - let's wait for further developments. The foilboarding is just born comparing to the Formula Kite. No class rules, no international events (except one worlds in 2012), no national cups, few riders and even less foils on the market, not too much knowledge, no experience etc.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby davesails7 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:33 pm

BraCuru wrote:It is amazing, interesting and even shocking that the brand new revolutionary kite racing class established just couple years ago might be received now like the RSX class just because of the foil :wink:
More seriously - let's wait for further developments. The foilboarding is just born comparing to the Formula Kite. No class rules, no international events (except one worlds in 2012), no national cups, few riders and even less foils on the market, not too much knowledge, no experience etc.
I don' t know if you can say 'just born.' Didn't the Carafino boards come out almost 10 years ago? What happened between then and now? Was there a real advance, or did a lot of people just suddenly realize the potential? Serious question, some have said the new boards aren't leaps and bounds better than the old ones, so why all the interest all of a sudden? (Not that I am not interested also)

I wouldn't count the raceboards out yet. The biggest news so far was that Johnny Heineken won a race on a foilboard. It seems like Johnny wins no matter what he rides... Now if someone riding a foil board consistently beats Johnny on a raceboard, then you've got something :D

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:09 pm

BraCuru wrote: ...
Bille wrote:That is NOT a Lot of money !!
Affraid that Formula Windsurfing riders count it in different way paying 1000$ ish for a single blade.

$1000 is a Total Rip-Off ; there's a Good profit to be made for 1/2 that , (once Ya got the mold).

And i bet a Beer they use a foam core instead of the expensive Nomex-Honeycomb, because
the Cheap bastards don't wanna learn how to use the stuff rocket-fins are made from , when
foam is nearly Free ?

Or is it Solid carbon ; at a cost of only $25 per-Lb , on the roll ? YES, that is what
that expensive carbon will cost if purchased, un-woven and on the roll !!!

Bille

drewkite
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby drewkite » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:06 am

wow, sick video! gotta admit that Johnny has some big ass talent...
Bet this kid could kick anybodys ass on a race course with foil or race board

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:24 am

Mako
Rare Poster
Style: Free ride
Gear: .

Postby Mako » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:50 am

Toby wrote:Dave, just set up twintip races, and many will join. This way you might get more people into raceboard racing then.
Toby, absolutely fantastic point.

Imagine treating Kiteboarding like windsurfing/sailboarding and have different disciplines for different conditions/locations etc:

1. Couse Olympic Type (Say IKA 70 current Box Rule Board)
2. Foilboard Course (as above - see the IKA website they're already onto it)
3. Speed = Anything goes
4. Slalom = Anything goes on a slalom course
5. Twintip / Freeride / skim board / surfboard whatever.... fun racing with agreed handicaps for each type of board.
6. And of course numerous freestyle / boardercross type classes

After typing this and being involved in all sorts of sailing, I think we are part of the sailing evolution, like windsurfing before us.... let's not worry about which "Class" will be the "Formula One" with the worst restrictions, just playing into the knockers hands saying Kiters have "No idea of what we want" Let's all work together to get public involvement and acceptance, rather than shooting ourselves in the very collective public feet!, please :D

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:13 am

i think the great thing is anyone can run any kind of race they want with whatever rules they want.

The french are great example - they just got on with the foilboard racing thing years ago (4 years ago+?).

equipment for the conditions.... unfortunately it seems light wind = need more money.

The low drag on some foils is sooo insane tho so I really do see this side of thing developing a lot further,.... but if there was any race i would want to enter today (the whole ika/olympic crap completely put me off anything to do with their 70cm formula kite class) it would be rottnest to perth on a slalom board in 30 knots smoooooooking it!

Mako
Rare Poster
Style: Free ride
Gear: .

Postby Mako » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:02 am

longwhitecloud wrote:i think the great thing is anyone can run any kind of race they want with whatever rules they want.

The french are great example - they just got on with the foilboard racing thing years ago (4 years ago+?).

equipment for the conditions.... unfortunately it seems light wind = need more money.

The low drag on some foils is sooo insane tho so I really do see this side of thing developing a lot further,.... but if there was any race i would want to enter today (the whole ika/olympic crap completely put me off anything to do with their 70cm formula kite class) it would be rottnest to perth on a slalom board in 30 knots smoooooooking it!
Hey longwhitecloud, if you're interested in the Red Bull L2L, here's a link that might help:

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kite ... -Leighton/

I definitely want to do the race at some point as well as there are some awesome slalom/custom/70cm raceboards/surfboards and even twin tips getting into it, add to it the extra motivation of very large great white sharks, yup fast racing. With the best bit the lottery type entry! I definitely think this is a huge area that could evolve and involve everyone around the world in different locations like the L2L. Maybe even in NZ say from North to South Island or Strait of Gibraltar or English Channel etc... that would be an Epic world series of races.

Anabatic_co_nz
Medium Poster
Local Beach: New Zealand
Gear: 12m 9m and 7m Skull Kite
Brand Affiliation: Founder of Kiteboarding.RED

Postby Anabatic_co_nz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:51 pm

I think to engage the greatest number of riders into racing you should have it totally open design wise.
This opens the door for design revolution from custom creators.
And also lets Joe blow rock up and feel part of the scene riding any old TT or home made foilboard.
Ok so NeilPryde would be upset as is monopoly ideals would be dented. The rules promoted to benefit large production facilities because they can't compete with small agile designers are a sham.
I feel the integrity of the IKA is hurt by that type of aligned sponsorship and rule making.
I know they need funding and have NeilPryde/Cab on board but with broader appeal, bigger events the funding can come by entry fees and out of industry sponsorship.
The less disciplines and more focus the better.
Open up the racing and race.
The best racers will always still win, just more participants get in on the stoke.
;)

TT's Foils and Course boards all in one race.
That is the future.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:00 am

Anabatic_co_nz wrote: ...

TT's Foils and Course boards all in one race.
That is the future.
Handycapped ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”