*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Is foilboarding the future?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:23 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:00 pm
Posts: 474
Hawaiis wrote:
What I meant was :I have never seen anyone put the hydrofoil on a 60cm wide race board.

Yep. Now clear :oops:
It's pretty fresh subject begun a year or two backwards.
Nowadays I am testing various foil race boards between 55-60cm. This is one of my prototypes:
Image
I’d like to mention these boards are much suitable for light wind conditions than any adaptation of wave board. They are shorter, wider and fat. It allows me foiling the board already in 5kts on 13m kite. A classic wave need 2 kts more ish. Most of time I ride in light winds so it's important for me.
I believe that's direction of foil boards development in coming years: 55-60 by 140-150cm and volume 50-60ltrs. Not only for racers but for any anyone riding in sub 10kts conditions.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Is foilboarding the future?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:27 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:16 am
Posts: 57
BraCuru wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:
What I meant was :I have never seen anyone put the hydrofoil on a 60cm wide race board.

Yep. Now clear :oops:
It's pretty fresh subject begun a year or two backwards.
Nowadays I am testing various foil race boards between 55-60cm. This is one of my prototypes:
Image
I’d like to mention these boards are much suitable for light wind conditions than any adaptation of wave board. They are shorter, wider and fat. It allows me foiling the board already in 5kts on 13m kite. A classic wave need 2 kts more ish. Most of time I ride in light winds so it's important for me.
I believe that's direction of foil boards development in coming years: 55-60 by 140-150cm and volume 50-60ltrs. Not only for racers but for any anyone riding in sub 10kts conditions.


I'm getting a little lost here. Why are you using bigger boards if the board is basically above the water (in the air)? What difference does it make?

tks


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Is foilboarding the future?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:57 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:39 am
Posts: 1068
The critical moment before the hydrofoil lifts off.
A hydrofoil requires more power than regular boards to lift off due to the 90cm long underwater structure.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Is foilboarding the future?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:39 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:16 am
Posts: 57
Hawaiis wrote:
The critical moment before the hydrofoil lifts off.
A hydrofoil requires more power than regular boards to lift off due to the 90cm long underwater structure.


That makes sense. I have a really big race board and i'm considering changing it into a foil board. Exactly where should I place the foil?

tks


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Is foilboarding the future?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:10 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:39 am
Posts: 1068
Most boards are placing the foil close to where the rear foot stands on the board.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Is foilboarding the future?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:57 am 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:01 am
Posts: 28
Hawaiis wrote:
Most boards are placing the foil close to where the rear foot stands on the board.


Hey Hawaiis,

I put this on the StCYC thread and realised would have been better on this one.

"Just throwing out the idea to maybe try out a foil type rear fin on a 70cm raceboard?

A primative "starfin" type rear fin that could work in unison with the cant from the front fins? or perhaps 3 starfins to replace all the fins? lift/foil the rear of the board out of the water, thus decrease drag & increase speed & get the best of both worlds?

http://www.cheynehoran.com.au/starfin.html

Any thoughts if it'd work to do a compromise, if it was under 50cm? would love to try on my 70cm race board, but from memory these fins were a bit soft and wouldn't fit into a tuttle type box."


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Is foilboarding the future?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:14 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:39 am
Posts: 1068
The star fins look too small to be effective. They need to have a surface area of 1-2 square foot to be effective.
The standard foil length now is around 90cm.
The reason is you need some travel for the chops and waves. If the fins are 50cm, it will be hitting the water much of the time.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Is foilboarding the future?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:59 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:35 am
Posts: 306
BraCuru wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:
What I meant was :I have never seen anyone put the hydrofoil on a 60cm wide race board.

Yep. Now clear :oops:
It's pretty fresh subject begun a year or two backwards.
Nowadays I am testing various foil race boards between 55-60cm. This is one of my prototypes:
Image
I’d like to mention these boards are much suitable for light wind conditions than any adaptation of wave board. They are shorter, wider and fat. It allows me foiling the board already in 5kts on 13m kite. A classic wave need 2 kts more ish. Most of time I ride in light winds so it's important for me.
I believe that's direction of foil boards development in coming years: 55-60 by 140-150cm and volume 50-60ltrs. Not only for racers but for any anyone riding in sub 10kts conditions.


How does this wider board work in bigger chops ? Doesn't catch ?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Is foilboarding the future?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:35 am 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:01 am
Posts: 28
Hawaiis wrote:
The star fins look too small to be effective. They need to have a surface area of 1-2 square foot to be effective.
The standard foil length now is around 90cm.
The reason is you need some travel for the chops and waves. If the fins are 50cm, it will be hitting the water much of the time.


Ok thank you, the starfin was just a reference being symmetrical on the vertical and asymmetrical on the wings. I understand from a pure kite foil board perspective they use 90 cm shafts to dodge chop & have large surface foil areas. Just checking against the rule of fins no longer than 50cm. Therefore, maybe leave the two forward fins at say 40 or whatever & then work out a compromise type 50 cm deep fin/foil to get the back of the board out of the water? Maybe a less severe foil as not to rip the tuttle box out. Wanting to use existing fin boxes as this is a requirement in the box rule, can only play with fins.

Being that it's just a guess at this stage and having zero interest in totalling my 70 cm race board, just thought I'd ask if it might work. maybe a hybrid of the Sword foilboard front wing bolted to a current 40 cm symmetrical rear fin somehow?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Is foilboarding the future?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:11 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:37 pm
Posts: 1776
BraCuru wrote:
One of the class rules states the max lenght of fins cannot exceed 500mm.
This rule was established in 2010/11 to pretend development of crazy & expensive fins as it had happened in Formula Windsurfing (a 70cm g10 blade worth tons of $$$)


500mm = 19.68"
At that length, the Maximum amount the materials for a carbon and Nomex-honeycomb fin,
couldn't exceed $200 for the home-builder. The Mold itself could be done for Under
the same amount, but then Ya get 50 to 75 parts before the mold starts to loose resolution.

That is NOT a Lot of money !! So ,"Why the rule" ??

And if that's really the reason for the rule, then there should be an Open-Class to
promote More and better technology ; otherwise there just promoting stagnation
for the sport.

Bille


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JamesVegas, loco4viento, Robbylion, scoish, TPink, Westozzy and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group