All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kiteboarding promo videos rarely show the landings?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:58 am 
Rare Poster

Excuse the rant :evil: - But why is it that kitesurfing videos so rarely show someone land a trick and ride away? (watch the new Naish Park 2013 video and count how often they land a trick - but choose any promo video and try the same). I'll assume that they ate it or bailed, but probably/maybe can land the occasional variation of what they show the beginnings of.

But really video editors! Would you watch a video of a skateboarder that launches an air or ollie, only to immediately cut away to some other setup?

The glory isn't in a trick half completed. I'd rather see a sketchy landing than yet another spinny flippy handle pass to ...//// cut!

Rant out.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Kiteboarding promo videos rarely show the landings?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:08 am 
Very Frequent Poster

If Ya don't "Ride" away, it Never happened.

My first double back-roll on a TT, made it around but sank
past my knees on the landing, & had to do a kite-loop to get going again ...
so it didn't count, back to the drawing board, go try again ; that's what
the Mohave crew told me . :(

Bille

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:35 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Did you ever do a promo video?

You need to cut fast...with landings it is just too long.

We had to do the same with my Airstyle promo videos...and some people complained that I din't land those tricks...well, on the Airstyle DVD I show all 666 tricks and all its different clips for it with landings!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:34 am 
Rare Poster

I can understand how it would get longer if you had to show every trick landed and ridden out, and it would get boring. But the constant cutting away is also monotonous. There is no rule that you have to have x cuts per30 seconds. When its all cranked up to maximum speed, there is no release of suspense (are they going to land it with as much grace as in the air? Do they get eaten by the wave at the bottom or escape? We will never know)

Don't get me wrong- i love to see someone throw large and fast even if they don't make it - and seeing the crashes makes you appreciate it more when it's nailed (though a promo video doesn't ever want to show failure). And sometimes the shot is just so good it has to go in.

Give me landings - or at least the occasional landing!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:41 am 
Frequent Poster

Its because flying is much better than landing! So in promo videos riders are flying constantly!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:58 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Completely agree, no landing is just sooooo wack. And why do riders insist of producing exactly the same sheep video over and over and over again - what like for 7 years now?!!. Lifestyle shot, blind judge3, trees and plants shot, low mobe, sunglasses shot blind mobe, a few light flashes... Even exactly the same music. A few exceptions but u younger riders - strive for your own style, don't try and be someone else.

If u hoping for sponsorship/keeping yoru sponsorship, something a bit different is going to stand out a mile.

Kiteboarding needs a punk rider that listens to metal and who is completely insane - that would be cool to watch.. slams and all - someone that would never even consider cutting a landing!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:52 am 
Very Frequent Poster

agree

& agree - just don´t see many reasons for a young punk to mingle with 40 yo farts. He´s problably skating with his punk friends, doing grafittis and having fun running away from the police..

Last edited by Tiago1973 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:21 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Promo for the sport or promo for the rider? Cos it's rarely promo for the kite. Hint: IF YOU CANT SEE THE KITE it ain't about the kite.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:26 am 
Frequent Poster

Heres a goodie question for you Promo Tards :) when its the kite getting pimped - why do we see Dangle dorks and stuff all of the kite except for boring old leading edge aiming at the water ??? I wanna see it loop down loop twist distort cut back for real life kiting !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:01 am 
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Heres a goodie question for you

...are you sure?

Quote:
when its the kite getting pimped - why do we see Dangle dorks and stuff all of the kite except for boring old leading edge aiming at the water ???

I literally have no idea what your question is asking...?

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next