Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Evo 2012 9m, now wanting Dice 9m, comparable?

Forum for kitesurfers
Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: North Evo 2012 9m, now wanting Dice 9m, comparable?

Postby Westozzy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:21 am

Yeh and the fuse Caesar, all bloody good kites. f*** me most kites are nowadays, just depends on what you want. There is one though a 2014 model that is just downright horrible and all four riders fromSB riders to TT riders agreed. But I'm not going to spoil someone's party as they may love it. God it was just wrong.

But everything else I have flown this year, just outstanding.

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground
Been thanked: 0

Postby FabsPH » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:09 pm

Dan-at-North wrote:As this shape is new to us I have very little feedback from consumers, but a few of us have been riding a quiver of Dice pretty regularly around here and I feel we know it pretty well. First of all, as to your direct question about power, I feel pretty confident saying that the Dice has less grunt than the 2012 Evo. However, it is also quicker turning than the Evo, allowing you to sine the kite to get power. At the same time, the Dice seems to have more high end than the Evo, so you probably have more range overall with the Dice than you're getting with your 2012 Evo. One guy in particular reported going to the coast with the Dice and was able to ride the 10 while others were on 12s and 14s from other brands, and then had no problem continuing to hold it down when others were switching to 7s. I've heard the same thing out of every pimp on this forum about one kite or another, but at least it's a sign that the range should be pretty decent. On the range of power the Evo is definitely our gruntiest kite, followed by the Fuse, then the Rebel, then the Vegas. I'd put the Dice between the Rebel and the Vegas.

Another significant difference is that the Dice is noticeably lighter on the bar than the 2012 Evo, and has great feedback (and this is with the Dice on the heavy bar pressure setting. It was so nice we haven't even bothered switching to the light setting).

I can't guarantee anything, but going from a 2012 Evo to a 2014 Dice should be a noticeable step up. Though the general idea behind the kites is similar (they are both marketed as freestyle and wave along with being great all-around freeride kites), I'm betting that you will find the Dice will give you more range, be quicker turning, be more comfortable for freeride, and should work better for both wave riding and advanced freestyle.

Please note that these comparisons are for the 2012 Evo vs the 2014 Dice. The 2014 Evo is completely redesigned, hasn't been finished, won't be available for several months, and I have absolutely no feedback on it yet.

Hope this helps and let us know your thoughts on the Dice when you get it.

-Dan
thanx for the awesome reply. Sorry , I was working and not on forum all week.
Guess I can expect a great kite with a little less umpf , but better in everything else. Giddy up.
Thanx, happy kiting
Aloha
Fabs

Defrag
Rare Poster

Postby Defrag » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:11 pm

Dan-at-North wrote:As this shape is new to us I have very little feedback from consumers, but a few of us have been riding a quiver of Dice pretty regularly around here and I feel we know it pretty well. First of all, as to your direct question about power, I feel pretty confident saying that the Dice has less grunt than the 2012 Evo. However, it is also quicker turning than the Evo, allowing you to sine the kite to get power. At the same time, the Dice seems to have more high end than the Evo, so you probably have more range overall with the Dice than you're getting with your 2012 Evo. One guy in particular reported going to the coast with the Dice and was able to ride the 10 while others were on 12s and 14s from other brands, and then had no problem continuing to hold it down when others were switching to 7s. I've heard the same thing out of every pimp on this forum about one kite or another, but at least it's a sign that the range should be pretty decent. On the range of power the Evo is definitely our gruntiest kite, followed by the Fuse, then the Rebel, then the Vegas. I'd put the Dice between the Rebel and the Vegas.

Another significant difference is that the Dice is noticeably lighter on the bar than the 2012 Evo, and has great feedback (and this is with the Dice on the heavy bar pressure setting. It was so nice we haven't even bothered switching to the light setting).

I can't guarantee anything, but going from a 2012 Evo to a 2014 Dice should be a noticeable step up. Though the general idea behind the kites is similar (they are both marketed as freestyle and wave along with being great all-around freeride kites), I'm betting that you will find the Dice will give you more range, be quicker turning, be more comfortable for freeride, and should work better for both wave riding and advanced freestyle.

Please note that these comparisons are for the 2012 Evo vs the 2014 Dice. The 2014 Evo is completely redesigned, hasn't been finished, won't be available for several months, and I have absolutely no feedback on it yet.

Hope this helps and let us know your thoughts on the Dice when you get it.

-Dan
So much marketing bullshit.

So Dice has:
1) insane range, a 10m Dice can hold with 7m and 14m kites from other brands. That means 10-40knots wind range? Seriously... and according to the numerical values at your site, Dice has lower range then same size Evo, which already had lower range the rebels.

2) "noticeably lighter on the bar than the 2012 Evo"
Freestyle kite lighter (on the heaviest setting) on the bar then the Evo? How is that good for freestyle.

3) "Dice will give you more range, be quicker turning, be more comfortable for freeride, and should work better for both wave riding and advanced freestyle."
One is impossible together with the other, wtf. You can't market the kite as best on everything.

If you want to market the kite at least be honest, just saying a 10m kite can hold up with 7-14m of other brands is.......

I'm just gonna wait for more customer reviews, seems like you cant trust Norths marketing anymore.

It's same way as Evo was offered as wave/freesytle kite, when the freestyle part came down to doing raileys and maybe the most basic hps.
Last edited by Defrag on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

gvironda
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Torbole, Garda Lake
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Lefkada, Capo Mannu, Naxos, Tuscany,
Gear: North

Postby gvironda » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:02 pm

Hey, a bit too aggressive!
I think Dan at North is the most honest and reliable brand-affiliated moderator
just look at his post, and you'll see how balanced and not pushy he is

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:17 am

Ah there is always room to be skeptical of marketing, but I agree Dan is always pretty level headed.

Let me say this, all four of us were in my car watching a 40 knot front come through, getting enough balls to face the elements and my mate said

'You know what there is nothing I don't like about that dice, nothing and normally there is always something'

He's ridden for 12 years, me 14 and I for one think that sums it up. He's a pretty understated sort of fella doesn't say much.

Try one.

Defrag
Rare Poster

Postby Defrag » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:38 am

gvironda wrote:Hey, a bit too aggressive!
I think Dan at North is the most honest and reliable brand-affiliated moderator
just look at his post, and you'll see how balanced and not pushy he is
I ride North myself and I'm looking to buy North in 2014 again. Huge fan of the brand and probably not going to switch to anything else soon.

But let's be honest - the post I quoted is so hyper-sweated it just hurts to read.
I'm looking to change my Evos in favour of Dice for next year quiver and looking for opinions how can I feel when a North representative is posting like that?

Sure it's a new kite and they have to push the reviews/marketing so it sells well and they continue the model next years, but at least have some decency and honestly point out the bad sides of the kite. Or don't point them at all, but at same time don't say the kite is a beast at something, when you deny it by saying opposite thing in the next paragraph//it is denied by info given on your own site. This is a forum where you are looking for objective opinions on both + and -, not kite brands page.

windfreak
Medium Poster

Postby windfreak » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:57 am

YOOWWW ! :thumb:

Zeek
Rare Poster

Postby Zeek » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:21 am

Does it pull all the way through the loop?

RDM
Frequent Poster

Postby RDM » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:46 am

FabsPH wrote:North Evo 2012 9m, now wanting Dice 9m, comparable?
I want same power, low end... wondering if I made right choice?
Never mind speed, etc, just want info on low end power.
9 evo has much stronger low end than 9 dice...

wetdog
Medium Poster

Postby wetdog » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:28 am

Hey Westozzy, thanks for the review. It looks like a great all-rounder. Have you ridden the F-one B7 yet? Your thoughts on how these two compare? The Dice seems pretty similar to B6 at least...

Return to “Kitesurfing”