Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Evo 2012 9m, now wanting Dice 9m, comparable?

Forum for kitesurfers
Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North Evo 2012 9m, now wanting Dice 9m, comparable?

Postby Puetz » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:37 am

Westozzy wrote:The reason I have that link is I concur with his observations of the evo as I have ridden it and that of the dice, which I have demoed plenty and now have, along with the 4 other guys who demoed it! It had a big impact on us, and two of us have been at it for 14 and 12 seasons respectively. Truth be told four out of the five weren't even really looking for a new kite! We just thought we'd join in the free demo...ha ha ha always a bad move hey. :D

Comparing the evo and dice in the waves is mute, don't even try. Jumping believe it or not the dice.

Grunt evo...but the dice on the four line setup has a stupidly brilliant low end.

It has grunt, but more importantly flies forward to sit in a range within the window that to me is perfect for static grunt and yet enough apparent wind to get you back to your mark. The angle of attack changes linearly from full power to half way...hence you can really get some finer trimming going on, but sheet out and the angle of attack really changes a lot hence you can kill the kite. Don't ask me how they did it, but they have.

Redesigned evo hey, they have to, the dice makes it redundant. And the Neo while I'm at it.

North are on winner here as far as I'm concerned, but try one yourself don't believe my bullshit. Depends always on what you are after.
... hey Eppo, what size did you get? :D

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:43 am

11 and 8 which works well the the zephyr.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:06 am

Westozzy wrote:11 and 8 which works well the the zephyr.
... nice one, what colours did you get?

Karl had a ride of the 11m Dice back to back with a Vegas 12m and loved the Dice for unhooking with his flicky flicky stuff, found the Vegas much more angry, F16's scarier on Vegas but he likes that sort of stuf too.

Pretty amazing kite hey!

cheers,

Robbie :D

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:29 am

In the eight got the green/petrol and the 8 is this sick red underneath and petrol on top...wish I could have got both in that colour!

Mate light wind TT in 13 to 16 (powered zephyr territory) just doing the most insane shit in the waves today, just down the line stupid crap, full slack lines, one of the few times I wish I was on a SB but the reef was dangerously shallow. Just crap that I never thought possible without a kite falling out the sky. So smooth, so much control, and went downwind and upwind again a distance of half a km no probs.

Anyone who says this kite doesn't have a damn good bottom end can't ride a fucken kite. Amazing. So easy to jump to and all the rotation and kiteloop just so direct and smooth. You want some static grunt, fly her forward pull in bar and lock off, want to sign it quick and develop that little forward shoots into the window for speed no probs, you want some more speed come off your edge a bit and just enough apparent wind kicks in. Got it all hey. Experienced riders will appreciate this kite hey, really multidimensional in terms of what power delivery you want.

Unreal hey.

Ps and that was on 24m 2012 bar (bars not in yet so they lent me one) can't imagine how quick and responsive this 11m sucker will be on 22!!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:06 am

I havent tried the kite, but I just dont believe that...

It is not possible to get "all" without losing something - and this is what you imply here - that you get lots of static low end grunt, besides a huge windrange (able to kill the kite) :roll:

IMO not possible - seems like a bit (a lot) of initital excitement (which is fine, just not very objective of course), or simply just PR :wink:

Either the Dice aint got no range/upper end, or it has much less grunt than the EVO - or it sits somewhere in the middle.

Seems to be a great kite though :D

:D Peter

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Peter been around 14 yrs mate probably as long as you. Ridden, owned and flown many Many kites. I'm talking about the power delivery. Its not a brain f*** grunt you get with a low aspect delta piece of shit, you have to know how to fly....and I do. Nor is it a high aspect kite that wants to lick the edge of the window, it works within a really nice range...they have positioned the kite to fly in a really useable part of the window. But sure I do know what you mean.

Total independent observations. Also I have flown this kite in 3 different sizes now for about 3 hours each, so its not observations from an initial flight.

How about you get on one and enlighten us. You do offer some great observations from time to time.

Ps yeh and a bit of excitement as well, true :D

PPs Not sure on the upper range for sure, but I know of guys taking 8m to 35-40 knots. I will find out soon enough.

windfreak
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby windfreak » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:43 pm

Hi guys ,i need a smaller kite 8 or 9 m and was looking for a 2013 evo , which i know and tried ,and now comes the new wonder , the dice .For me too ,the only reviews that i have read seems to be a little bit too much ,it s a business and they are there to sell there new toys :baby: but nothing is perfect and if it is ,i am going to buy one later ,after tring a demo, by myself !So lets calm down and relax :jump: Cheers; the freak.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:56 pm

windfreak wrote:For me too ,the only reviews that i have read seems to be a little bit too much ,it s a business and they are there to sell there new toys :baby: but nothing is perfect and if it is ,i am going to buy one later ,after tring a demo, by myself !
I thought the same thing at first, that WestOzzy's review was over the top, but he doesn't appear to have any relation to North, so no reason to not be objective. He has even said before that he used to ride North (rebels I think?), but moved on to Ozone Edges which he thinks are better kites. Also has said Rebel is crap in waves and doesn't know why North markets it as a wave kite. So overall, I don't think his review has anything to do with trying to sell more kites for North.

Initial excitement, maybe, but seems like he has tried lots of kites and has not been overcome with initial excitement on those.

Interested to hear more reviews. Sounds a little too good to be true, but will have to try to get a demo myself to find out.

Maybe North can just stop selling all other kites now that they have the dice :thumb: Ok, ok, build 20 or 30 Vegas per year for the PKRA guys, but all the other models can go

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:17 am

Peter is right in asking his question though and shows he understands kites and their performance characteristics well. You need to read 'into ' what I'm saying, there is no ultimate kite that will do everything.

All the descriptions I have in terms of power delivery need to be seen through the structure of

An all rounder, with a massive bias towards wave riding....

It will never out jump and edge or screamer or dyno,

It will never pull you along like a tractor like a lithuim, smoke, kahoona,

It tries to hunt the edge just enough, then settles back just right.

As I have tried to describe, the first half of the throw the depower is really linear, the angle of attack changes gradually...and yet the last half, the whole kite pivots forward and the depower changes quickly. That is the only reason I can explain its different types of power delivery.

I mean I was on a light wind TT, 13 to 16 knots, a145 by 44 (so not a huge light wind TT) and I chucked my 23kg 6 yr old son on the board and we were holding ground and going upwind at times...it has static grunt with enough apparent wind...your tend to utilise both. Switch between the two given the currents, board speed, etc.

Hard to describe hey....I'm not saying its the ultimate at all, no such thing, physics does not allow it...although FS are trying some innovative stuff...but for the average to advanced rider there is something in this kite for everyone. New riders will appreciate its stability, experienced riders will appreciate what I have described.

For the record, I still vouch for the rebel and edge, both beautiful kites for their intended purpose.

The Catalyst was my biggest dissapointment and the reason I went searching again.

The zephyr is sublime...

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:27 am

Westozzy wrote:For the record, I still vouch for the rebel and edge, both beautiful kites for their intended purpose.

You ain't seen nothing yet (2013 Fuse)! :P

Return to “Kitesurfing”