Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Best kite for jumping?

Postby Westozzy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:13 am

kinchencool wrote:Ozone Edge the one and only boost kite! :)

Nope. But yes great booster, but nope.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:30 am

i think the answer is very dependent on skill level. if you can hold your edge and go old school then you can do a len10 jump on a C like ss fuel and nothing will beat that. if you might lose your edge then you will very much like a kite that will go to the edge of the window to forgive you. kites like best nemi hp are great for like that for advanced intermediates. if you are a beginner going 1 meter in the air then you really are just lofting yourself and the kite is irrelevant.

once you can get at 4-8 seconds of hang time, it's personal preference. some people like slow big kites that feel like a hang glider coming down (I think Toby is in this camp). I personally prefer super fast and maybe a size smaller kites that just feel like a rocket off the water and then you can loop on the way down (but without a big power surge so no ACL or ankle injuries) to soften the landing.

I rarely get to demo back to back but when I do I find that's where you really learn your preference and style and also your weaknesses.

Dustfarter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: La
Been thanked: 0

Postby Dustfarter » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:19 am

peterheirman wrote:Best Nemesis HP 9m from 2008 - still the best
+1 !!

alliaria
Rare Poster

Postby alliaria » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:19 pm

every kite is good for jumping if you have at least 20 knots under there my be some differences in choosing a kite for that propose.
anyway I think that the ozone edge is a good.

bye

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:32 pm

EPIC Screamer (especially the 10 LTD) is the best booster I have tried. I have also owned the Best Nem HP and Waroo Pro which were also quite good. I tried the RRD Obsession and that was also good. I think it is somewhat subjective depending on how you like to ride.

Ed

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:49 pm

Yeh the screamer does go huge. It depends on how you like your power delivery, it wasn't for me, but man I appreciated its boost potential...wow.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:47 am

This is the way I see it.

sub 20 knots. High aspect kites sle or foilsare best. long and thin they give heaps of speed and can turn that into lift and height in light winds. Plus they glide the best. Kites like the edge for the speed 3 and other of long thin nature.

Next up 20-30 knots. go for long and thin if you want but C or Hybrid C's start giving you a powerfull shunt into the sky. high aspect sle's still work. but in this range you get to choose. c style rip you off the water and drop you back just as fast style of jumping or glide you for longer but maybe with less height than the C.

30+ knots. Its all about ball size in these winds. Any kite will scream you up super high if your powered and sending it hard. Which kite goes highest? probably a high aspect C I would guess.... but the high aspect sle will keep you up there for longer.

What is better? I go through phases. At the moment i'm loving the glide of the sles and big foils. But there is something exciting about a fast moving tear you off the water kite.... perhaps its the additional pressure of having to redirect perfectly or you get spanked.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:57 pm

Hello GrodanBoll.
I received your email about demoing the SCREAMER model. Let me know if you received my reply since the internet where I am in Europe is giving me a hard time crashing every 2 minutes. So I am not sure if my email went through. I also sent you a PM.

dimip
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All over Naxos Island
Favorite Beaches: Glyfada Beach,
Amitis Bay
Style: My style :p
Gear: Griffin kites, Shinn monk, Rrd barracuda, F-one mitu

Postby dimip » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Ah, we at Naxos island how we can try? :-D The weekend gonna have 20,25 knots. A 9 screamer would be perfect or when you come again to Paros it's 20min downwind to Naxos from xrisi akti :-)

lander
Frequent Poster

Postby lander » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:16 pm

I own both Draft (9, 12, 14), Edge (11, 17), Rally (8, 10), ride (6) and Velocity (13). I believe the draft 12 does the best job of those kites, having height and hangtime in mind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”