Rare Poster
Gear: Neil Pryde
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Solution to wet wetsuits!

Postby ChrisDN » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:01 pm

So guys
I've been toying with a solution to a personal problem the last couple of days - regarding drying my wetsuits. I work for a small design bureau and do a little of 3d sketching. I thought about the rack you can use for hang-drying your clothes and then fold it together.! I´ve been drawing some sketches of a rack that stands against the wall in the shower, around 1.8 meter or 5’9’’, but you can fold to ⅓ of the size. that way the whole suit can hang down and you can store the rack easy. have a friend that works with aluminium and he think it´s possible to build. Now I start to think that i might should bring my boss in on it, but would like to hear if any of you guys think it could be a good idea or just an undesirable add on, to all the other equipment on the market? Do you think there’s a need for it or should I just build it for myself?

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Re: Solution to wet wetsuits!

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:07 pm

Drying a wetsuit is hardly a problem... put it over a chair to dry and then turn inside out to dry the inside.

Also bathrooms probably the worse place ever to try and dry anything as most are regularly wet, damp, poor extractor fans etc... unless you live in a nice warm country, then you don't need a drying rack..

Sorry but waste of time.

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:12 pm

I see no point - just throw the suit on a hanger, over the bar for the shower curtain.

Or use a strong IKEA towel holder like I do, flips to the wall when not in use, easily holds multiple wetsuits.

http://www.ikea.com/dk/da/catalog/products/60047896/

Need something for boots and gloves though.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:59 pm

One of my kite buddies has a hanger with an integrated fan. He says it completely dries the wetuit in a few hours. I'm going to pick one up for this winter.

Currently I hang mine in the shower from one of those 3M stick-on hooks and that works OK, but like previous poster said, the damp shower is not the best place to dry things. A folding rack seems over complicated to me.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:19 pm

Why do you even dry your wetsuits that often, as it seems some do ?

Seriously, new wetsuits contains very little water both inside and outside, so I just leave them in the car (or bag or whatever where your kites are stored) inside out like they are when taken off - so they are okay dry on the inside when turned right side out for the next session.

And it does not matter if the outside is a little wet, right ?

If you take your suit "elsewhere" to dry, you might forget to bring it one day, most likely at the most epic day of the year, after having driven many hours :o

If neoprene suits are totally dry, especially with use of heat like a radiator or similar - it might be very bad for the suit in fact, and it will not last long, is my experience :(

8) Peter

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:28 pm

Smell - if I just leave the wetsuit for 24h in open bag it starts to smell due to sea organisms multiplying. A quick shower and drip dry on a towel hanger. No smell, nice. Agree - heated drying not ideal.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:05 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:Why do you even dry your wetsuits that often, as it seems some do ?
It's only really a problem when riding multiple days in a row. If I hang the suit up inside out, it will be dry in two days, but still damp after one day.

There is nothing worse than putting on a cold damp wetsuit on a cold day! You start the session off already cold.

Lives2fly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barvas, Gress, Sheilabost, Luskentyre, Reef, Ardroil, Melbost, Tong
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Naish Cults, Bolts & Parks

Postby Lives2fly » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:12 pm

No point. just put in on a hanger and it dries overnight anyway.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:20 pm

ChrisDN wrote:So guys
I've been toying with a solution to a personal problem the last couple of days - regarding drying my wetsuits. I work for a small design bureau and do a little of 3d sketching. I thought about the rack you can use for hang-drying your clothes and then fold it together.! I´ve been drawing some sketches of a rack that stands against the wall in the shower, around 1.8 meter or 5’9’’, but you can fold to ⅓ of the size. that way the whole suit can hang down and you can store the rack easy. have a friend that works with aluminium and he think it´s possible to build. Now I start to think that i might should bring my boss in on it, but would like to hear if any of you guys think it could be a good idea or just an undesirable add on, to all the other equipment on the market? Do you think there’s a need for it or should I just build it for myself?
Before you jump in to this, there is already a company that produces this and it works very well. I have one and used to use it in cold weather but now use it so as not to throw my suit over something that may harm it. It has hooks for booties as well and is marketed more towards surfers.

www.hanggoose.com

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:30 pm

noel wrote:
ChrisDN wrote:So guys
Before you jump in to this, there is already a company that produces this and it works very well. I have one and used to use it in cold weather but now use it so as not to throw my suit over something that may harm it. It has hooks for booties as well and is marketed more towards surfers.

www.hanggoose.com
Whoa... $100 for a wooden hanger ... roflmao...

Return to “Kitesurfing”