Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sir Richard Branson breaks record in kitesurfing parade

Postby balugh » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:20 pm

They actually had to close the entries to this event because too many people applied and they only had enough support for the number they took. There's lots of logistics that go into this kind of thing and the weather can easily throw a spanner into the best prepared event. A 'name' like Dickie Branson can make a lot of things easier....

I was part of a small group that did a charity run across the Wash from Hunstanton to Skegness last year. There were 17 riders....4 boats...a mini bus...etc. It was great fun but the guy who organised it got way little credit...IMHO...especially as it raised >£5k for the RNLI as well. What it's like getting >300 organised is anyone's guess...

Must admit it was a tiring ride going one direction for b/w 1 and 1 1/2 hours. I think this downwinder looked easier in some respects with regular changes in tack. But even in our case it was 18 miles as the crow flies from Hunny to Skeggy but the guys wearing GPS averaged about 26 miles in distance travelled. So the folks who did this run probably racked up some serious mileage.

Congratulations all round really.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:40 pm

edt wrote:
gmb13 wrote:Red bull coast 2 coast haf 348 competitors.
ok fine. so red bull had more. I do remember that picture of the kiters looked crowded as hell. I dont care tho, if you have ever had a woman walk up to you and say "Hey I saw that picture of a guy is it called kiteboarding and a woman was riding naked. Well, you know . . . if there aren't too many people watching . . . "

In my eyes Sir Richard Branson can do no wrong. He also did that channel cross, all around great spokesperson for the sport. He's old too, which is great. Cut the dude some slack, he's helping make kiteboarding look safe, fun and sexy. What more do you want? Keep on popularizing our sport Rich I'm not gonna call you on it if your numbers aren't exact for a world record.
Still don't understand how it can be a world record if it had less competitors than the Red Bull Event.

--
Gunnar

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:52 pm

Laughingman wrote:Billie

edt
As far as the semantics gmb13 has pointed out he is merely stating facts, in no way does this detract from the record being set as you need officials present to make the record official. I think your admiration for Sir Branson is allowing you to become a bit defensive in this instance... just sayin
So as long as you pay Guinness to send someone, then you can have the record. To me the Record that was set is not valid and Guiness had no reason the ratify it as such. This is like a week after the Red Bull Event and accurate accounting of numbers were kept to make sure no one got lost out at sea at the Coast 2 Coast. It's public record how many competitors took part at both events, so it's just wrong to give this record and have it in the books. It's a slap in the face of the organisers of the Red Bull Event and those who took part.

The Virgin Event was a great thing and I do not want to bash on it or detract from the great promotion work that Richard Branson is doing for the sport and I hope that the next event they run will get a real record so that the entry in the Record Books has some validity.

--
Gunnar

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby fdvj » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:48 pm

There are more kites in a square mile in Tarifa, so whats your point? If you want it to be an official record you pay the fee. Apparently one guy launched all the kites at the virgin thing, I think he should get a record for that. :D

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:25 pm

fdvj wrote:There are more kites in a square mile in Tarifa, so whats your point? If you want it to be an official record you pay the fee. Apparently one guy launched all the kites at the virgin thing, I think he should get a record for that. :D
Was it this guy?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:31 pm

Don't blame me for the headline...just copied and pasted it ;-)

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:11 am

Who gives a shit... it is what it is. How funny you need some Irish piss heads to make it official!

nikeron
Medium Poster

Postby nikeron » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:29 am

Indeed. Record or not it's great that such stuffs are being organized. And as regards to headline we all know that media always does such stuffs to get attention. Richard Branson is well known person and due to his name this article will be read by many non-kiters as well, if focuses would be put otherwise interest would be smaller.

Return to “Kitesurfing”