Rare Poster
Local Beach: gilgo, ny
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2014 North Line Up

Postby stephduche » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:00 pm

Westozzy, thank you very much.
I hear you about having a kite both for waves and for flat/tricks etc.
Although I am also riding flats sometimes (freeride mostly), I am definitely looking for a wave kite and I'll deal with the minuses when I go to the flats with a TT.
You say the Dice is exceptional in the waves. Are you more of a wave rider where you park the kite and let it drift as you surf the waves, or you move the kite a lot through bottom turns and of the lips? I am more of the latter, coming from no surfing background whatsoever.
I am hearing that for this type of riding (keeping the kite moving) the Rebel may be more appropriate.
Thks
Steph

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:48 pm

Actually the dice allows both really. The depower in linear for the first half of the throw but the last half the kite depowers far more, the whole kite noticeably rocks forward. So if you want to fly and follow then keep the power on. Want to go down the line and park and ride then depower it heaps. One thing I really like about them. I never got on with the rebel in the waves. I do a bit of both really depending on the conditions. I'm not sure the rebel is better for fly and follow it just requires it because you have to keep the canopy moving due to its aspect. Rather have the choice myself.

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:02 am

Westozzy - When I rode this kite I noticed pretty much exactly what your saying. Fly and follow/power up...Depower just ride... But I also noticed that when I depowered the kite "rocked forward" (as you say) but for me it created the illusion that it was actually moving forward in the window not drifting. But it felt like it was drifting beautifully but visually it moved "forward" when I depowered. Am I crazy or is it an illusion? My 10m is coming in 2 days!!! :D

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:28 am

Yeh I noticed this to. I know the middle lines are connected a long way around to the front of the leading edge, this could have something to do with it and bridal design working with the sliders? Not sure. But the last half, the depower is not linear for sure, really rocks forward and decreases the angle of attack quickly.

For us crew who get into serious waves in winter and ride flat water a lot in summer, for hooked and unhooked stuff it really is a perfect kite. Just depends on what your into.

I'm seeing some serious low end potential with the 12m on a light wind TT. my mate is out when I'm on the zephyr and hes 85kg and I'm 75kg. Funny in the sky I swear the 12m is 1.5 times bigger than the 11m I run underneath. It's more than one size. Hence my mate runs a 12/9 combo and that's it. I run a zephyr, 11/8 for my weight. It's at the 12/13 knot range though he's not kiting and I am, but for most winds he's out there on the 12 throwing down his darkslides and all that jazz.

Return to “Kitesurfing”