Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to land in boots without hurting yourself

Postby Tiago1973 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:37 pm

dyyylan wrote:
Tiago1973 wrote:
jats2k9 wrote:I dont ride boots yet, but I find it more easy to relaunch in deep water if I keep the board on my feet to help against the pull of the kite. So why do you guys do the scorpion position instead of keeping the board at waist high between you and the kite?
it´s not a choice, it´s just the position u end up after crashing

u could rotate latter on if you will but does not worth the effort. better just to put the kite in the air again and move on
huh? i always flip myself around before relaunching my kite, it takes 2 seconds to do, its not exactly rocket science. having the board in front of you makes it easier to pull the bar in and gives resistance to relaunch against also
well... i never bother. and guess i keep my habit of swimming a bit to the kite to help him slide

and not sure i agree with Joe, this is a board sport, style matters

but to be fair he then described what is adding style in my book.
Last edited by Tiago1973 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:45 pm

TheJoe wrote: If your wear boots for style then you are missing the pointbof boots. Superior edge and board control with the ability to throw tricks more powered and land hot with ease.
sure wear boots land hot be more powered but nothing wrong switching to straps to learn a trick, and going back to boots after you master it to throw down in front of the camera.

There's no rule I know of you have to be hard core every day.

speedyRider
Frequent Poster

Postby speedyRider » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:50 pm

excuse me the kookness, im new to boots and usually end up in the fucking scorpion position :)
whats the best technique to flip around and position the board in front of me without much effort? im sure there must be something really easy. With straps you just pull it in front under the water but with boots i cannot do it.

im also with Joe in this. Ive been only for some days in boots but i really feel i have more control, better edge and pop, can land with more speed without fear, you dont do this toe up position as you do (without thinking) with straps, cause now you can push with your back foot without fearing the board would come loose, i also feel i rotate for landings to blind/wrapped much faster (and probably with more style but thats not the point hehe). The only downside i find now is the relaunch as i said, and crashes (harder) but i think the positives outweight the downside.

Before these last days trying boots i thought boots would be bad for learning tricks, that was going to be good only for tricks you already do, but now i think it can be even easier to land a new trick because of all the reasons i said before, i think it can help my progression. Dont know if you guys agree with this, can it help progress faster than with straps up to certain point?

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:07 pm

I don't do boots, but I scorpion launch frequently, even on shall water. Grudgingly I sometimes give in and take of the board, but I need the kite in the air to flip me around. It's a mess once the board gets seperated from feet.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:21 pm

speedyRider wrote:whats the best technique to flip around and position the board in front of me without much effort? im sure there must be something really easy. With straps you just pull it in front under the water but with boots i cannot do it.

1) send it, u get yanked out of the water, and ride
2) if there's not that much wind, power it around with your abs, ride more if your abs are too weak to do this

speedyRider
Frequent Poster

Postby speedyRider » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:28 pm

ive send it to go out of the water, i meant how to flip when the kite is in the water

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride

Postby Clarencephil » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:00 pm

speedyRider wrote:im new to boots but im with Joe, let go BEFORE entering the water and it doesnt hurst, no more than with straps. Relaunching in the "scorpion" position can be a pain in the ass i found hehe
Hey, what's the Scorpion position ?

The only one I could find on Google is the one from the Kama Sutra (http://couple.notrefamille.com/amour-se ... -9229.html , which I doubt is what you're talking about :D

baobob
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush Razor 11, Hadlow pro 9&7,
Tona Pop 138
Trampa modified deck titanium trucks

Postby baobob » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:23 pm

Edt, i think if you are hitting slide and rails the only thing that you want to avoid is that your feet go out from the straps. So it's safer have them locked in boots. It's silly think that is just a matter of fashion.
edt wrote:
svetliy wrote:
edt wrote:why not go back to straps. Are you trying to ride in boots just to ride in boots?
i want to practice some sliders and rails; I think the boots are better than straps for this job.

if you aren't being photographed I don't think it matters. Boots look much better on a rail, especially if you are tweaking it, but if you aren't being photographed why not stick with the straps. If I were you I would just hit the sliders in straps, and then when the day comes you want to take the pictures, switch to boots then, less beatings :-) Don't forget to take off the fins.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:10 am

baobob wrote:Edt, i think if you are hitting slide and rails the only thing that you want to avoid is that your feet go out from the straps. So it's safer have them locked in boots. It's silly think that is just a matter of fashion.
Yeah it hurts when your kidneys or head slam on the rail because your feet come out of the straps. so don't release the board. But I wouldn't call it fashion. That sounds like you are choosing which kind of board shorts and sunglasses to wear. It's about style and throwing down. I know you can definitely grind a rail in straps, don't wait until you have boots, if you want to try it.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:42 am

Clarencephil wrote:
speedyRider wrote:im new to boots but im with Joe, let go BEFORE entering the water and it doesnt hurst, no more than with straps. Relaunching in the "scorpion" position can be a pain in the ass i found hehe
Hey, what's the Scorpion position ?

The only one I could find on Google is the one from the Kama Sutra (http://couple.notrefamille.com/amour-se ... -9229.html , which I doubt is what you're talking about :D

well, here's a scorpion on a rail. imagine catching a toe edge in the water. it's pretty common to end up in this position when relaunching your kite

Return to “Kitesurfing”