Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Help me make the change from Mako to ...

forum for kitesurfers

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Gen4 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Galaxy board
Engine Harness and sliding

Help me make the change from Mako to ...

Postby Laughingman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Okay so I am a Mako maniac, love my Mako's, I have owned every one of them except the king. I have never ridden anything but Mako for any extended period of time except my surfboard and a spleen door. But now I realize the technique I have mastered with the Mako may be holding me back from progressing. I try every board I see laying around and every time I come back in looking for my Mako, but I really want something to progress to the next level.
I find every traditional type twintip I have ridden requires a lot of attention. Is this to be expected?
If you have made the transition from Mako to ..... please share your thoughts.

I am 175-180lbs - 5'11"
I want a board I can ride from 15 knots and up. (our quiver is 5m - 13m 2 meter increments)
Something with good pop so I can progress.... for example backrolls without using the kite.
I don't want to have to pay a lot of attention to the board while cruising. Set it and forget it mentality.
I am not used to be splashed in the face and I don't like it.
I will ride my Mako or Surfboard in the waves, this board is for light chop and/or flat water conditions.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Pete

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and Board
Flysurfer Sonic2 9m,11m,15m,18m
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Help me make the change from Mako to ......

Postby davesails7 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:22 pm

I'm in the same boat. I can't enjoy any other board because I love my mako so much. Tried a few different boards (Cab custom, several Shinn boards, epic boards, LF boards, +others). I owned a Shinn Street for awhile, didn't like it much.

I had tried a buddy's CrazyFly Raptor Pro LTD 131x41 and liked it, but felt like I was digging the nose in (probably becasue I'm used to the mako more foot on front foot). I wound up pucharsing a CrazyFly Raptor Pro LTD in the longer 136x41 and it is a fun board. The extra length means I don't dig the nose in as much. Noticably more pop than mako (as expected). Still handles chop well, but if there is any significant chop or wave, I go for the mako. Still undecided, but definitely not getting rid of the mako anytime soon.
Laughingman wrote:Something with good pop so I can progress.... for example backrolls without using the kite.
I don't think the mako will hold you back on backrolls. You don't really need much pop, it's more of the carve that gets you around.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:27 pm

Just a suggestion, but in over 15, chop or flats there is nothing I want more than a good wake set up.

You get to keep some of what you love about your mako. There is plenty of rocker and loads of edge control/confidence. You can carve it on rail like your used to, but a wider more cornered outline is going to let you pop properly.

The boots give that edge control that the mako gets from being narrow and concaved. Neither a mako or a wake set up have much flex.

In a flatter kiteboard its flex that provides the rocker when you need it. You can get a really comfy noodle but they dont pop any better than your mako. Hard to find a flatter standard kiteboard with good pop that rides as nice as what your used to, and thats why you always go back to it. I'm sure there are a few magic standard TT kiteboards out there but its like finding a needle in a haystack, where any good wake set up is a super plush ride that pops well.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Gen4 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Galaxy board

Postby Laughingman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:40 pm

davesails7 wrote: I don't think the mako will hold you back on backrolls. You don't really need much pop, it's more of the carve that gets you around.
Thanks for your response, I actually tried a Raptor about 3 years ago which got me thinking about getting another board. I am trying a Spleene Rip 137x41 tomorrow

I hear what you are saying about the mako and backrolls... what I find is happening, in order to get the pop I am looking for I have to turn severely downwind and then carve hard up wind, I am actually 1/3 the way around before I even leave the water, which gives me more of a flat spin then a pop and roll. I can get the pop and roll I am looking for if I bring the kite to 12 as I pop but I would like to leave the kite at 50 - 60 deg and pop, then roll, instead of starting to roll before I even leave the water. This is difficult with the Mako because of how I have to set up for a good load and pop.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:42 pm

Starsky wrote:Just a suggestion, but in over 15, chop or flats there is nothing I want more than a good wake set up.

You get to keep some of what you love about your mako. There is plenty of rocker and loads of edge control/confidence. You can carve it on rail like your used to, but a wider more cornered outline is going to let you pop properly.

The boots give that edge control that the mako gets from being narrow and concaved. Neither a mako or a wake set up have much flex.

In a flatter kiteboard its flex that provides the rocker when you need it. You can get a really comfy noodle but they dont pop any better than your mako. Hard to find a flatter standard kiteboard with good pop that rides as nice as what your used to, and thats why you always go back to it. I'm sure there are a few magic standard TT kiteboards out there but its like finding a needle in a haystack, where any good wake set up is a super plush ride that pops well.
Tona Pop is definitely on my list of boards to try... do you think I'd get beat up if I put straps and pads on it? :rollgrin:

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque
Style: awkward
Gear: 15m Core XR3, 12m Core XR4, 10, Core XR5, 7m CoreXR4
CF Raptor Pro Ltd, Ocean Rodeo Jester.

Postby windybrit » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:44 pm

I've had 140 & 150 Makos as well as a King ......I weigh the same as you, I now have a CF Raptor Pro Ltd 132 x 41, super fun and screams through light chop, fast and smooth, great carving, lots of grip. ....... The board is aimed at freeride more than freestyle I think so I'd believe the pop to moderate, I'd consider my technique lacking before the board. I weight the same as you and can ride my board a 12m in 15 kts. .... If I was buying again (I got mine used) I'd like to compare the 136 length with the 132, I'd also like to demo the Shinn Dundee as well. The Ltd is pricey but I have a friend who has a Shox in the same size which seems to have most of the same attributes
(it's just a bit heavier) ... Happy shopping :bye:

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and Board
Flysurfer Sonic2 9m,11m,15m,18m
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Laughingman wrote:I actually tried a Raptor about 3 years ago which got me thinking about getting another board. I am trying a Spleene Rip 137x41 tomorrow
Not sure which one you tried, but just to be sure, I've heard the Raptor Pro and Raptor Pro LTD are significantly different boards aimed at different riders. Try the LTD out if that isn't the one you tried already. The Raptor Pro is stiffer and freestyle oriented, Raptor Pro LTD has more flex and is freeride oriented, good in chop.

I may have to retract my backroll statement now that I think about it. Remembering now back to my first ride on the LTD, I kept over rotating on my backrolls because of the extra pop. I guess it does help!

I used to have the Spleene RipMAX (138x47 I think?). Really flat with great low end and upwind, but it was horrible in any kind of chop.

I'm 165 lbs by the way for comparisons of the boards.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:55 pm

Shinn Dundee 44.
DO IT. NOW. Do. Buy it. Now.

I was like you, owned 2 Makos 150, only the Dundee makes me forget them.

The rocker is actually quite similar, if you lay the Mako and Dundee side by side you will see.

Mako slighly better on wave face, Dundee much better at low end, upwind, speed... Dundee has a bit more pop thank Mako.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:38 pm

Laughingman wrote: Tona Pop is definitely on my list of boards to try... do you think I'd get beat up if I put straps and pads on it? :rollgrin:
No, but considering its quite likely one of the only kiteboards that has been designed truly and specifically for use with boots, it would be a strange choice for straps.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:54 pm

i owned the original mako from 2005-2010 as my one and only board. I then bought the mako 150 and traded it for a 140 a year later.

every twintip i tried during that time fell so far short of my makos that i never had a need to ride anything else. the centered stance and locked in feeling is like nothing else. the makos are also very good in the chop.

i then lost my original mako and sold my 140 after trying the Shinn Monk. I will never ride makos again.

the monk is better by far in the chop at high speed. and i prefer the carving ability of the monk as well. the board flexes, unlike the mako and this just gives it a more lively character. monk doesnt go upwind as well when underpowered though.

the monk is an INSANELY GREAT board. for aggressive freeriding i really dont think there is anything that can match it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”