All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rebel 2013 vs Rebel 2014
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:32 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi
I have had a Rebel 2013 in 9 and 12 for the past couple of months and am really struggling to like them, I find I am constantly pulling the bar all the way down, so much so I changed the line set up for more power, when there is a lot of wind they are fine but as soon as the wind drops a bit I find I lack the power I had on previous kites, does this happen also with the 2014 models? Any feed back on the difference between the two apart from the standard feed back given by North would be great
Thanks

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Rebel 2013 vs Rebel 2014
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:46 pm 
Medium Poster

Lots of answers here, but for starters ......... 9m, 12m is too big a gap. In many areas the size sweet spot is between those two. So you go out on the 9m and it's a little too small to begin with, but you don't feel comfortable taking out the 12m.

The 2013 Rebels have plenty of bottom end and when you become more experienced you'll learn how to make use of it. So when you're under-powered you need to use speed to help the kite generate power, like Racers do.

But it's true, the 2014 Rebels do " Feel " more powerful, however, the 2013's have so much top-end that you can easily use a bigger size than you're used to using. I'm only a 150lbs and I'll use the 12m in 20+winds, try it ..............

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:35 pm 
Rare Poster

Hey Don
Thanks for your reply, it a bit of an odd one as you say the gap between my kite sizes is to big,just to let you know I have been kiting since 2001 initially on Toros then Rhinos then vegas (The 2006 was one of the best ever!) In 2010 I switched to Rebels and surfboards as was getting two old for doing crazy stuff, and in all my time I found very few people apart from the mega rich or pros that have kites that are in smaller increments due to cost as it would mean you need a 4 kite quiver, I have 6 9 and 12, so find it a bit of a strange answer, but thanks as any feed back is great

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:43 pm 
Rare Poster

Just to make my question a bit clearer when out a the 2013 Rebel in conditions that usually I am firing on I find it under powered!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:16 pm 
Frequent Poster

One of the things Ken has worked on consistently through the years on the Rebel is improving the high end. In 2013 the biggest change that he made on the kites was squaring the wingtips and taking the entry profile down a bit. Decreasing the entry profile decreases both lift and drag. Decreasing the drag means the kite is faster through the window (so you jump better) and gets to the edge of the window better (so it goes upwind better). The decreased lift means you lose a bit of the grunt. Though many people liked the improvements to turning speed, jumping, and general smoothness in 2013, the biggest complaint we heard was that it didn't have quite as much low end. Most people found the decreased grunt nearly imperceptible, so much so that some people wrote it off as being due to our line length switching from 25m in 2012 to 24m in 2013. But enough people felt that the 2013 was less powerful than years previous to get Ken to keep some of the improvements he made to the 2013 such as the squared wingtips and some streamlined strut ideas, but to revert back to the entry profile he'd used in 2012. As such, the 2014 has more low-end power than the 2013, more like the 2012, but with two years of improvements on the wingtips and strut design so that all I'm hearing from reviewers are rave reviews for range at high and low end and an increased smoothness through the steering, with great power through the loops. I haven't heard much from the jumpers other than that the 2014 goes plenty high and if you choose to loop it, it is much quicker to get back overhead to save you on the way down than the 2013.

Hope this describes what you were feeling on the 2013 and gives you some guidance on what to expect from the 2014. If anyone has any other reviews for 2013 or 2014 feel free to chime in.

-Dan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:35 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks Dan more or less the feeling I got :thumb:

[ 6 posts ]