Gear: - Cabrinha SwitchBlade 2014 - 9 - 12 m

-Xenon Laluz 135
-Shinn Monk Forever 134
-LiquidForce - Recoil 130
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Shinn Monk in Egypt

Postby Captain_East » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:41 pm

Hey, I'm a beginner trying to get some progress. I'm 180 lbs and 5'9 (182cm). I ride mostly in the Red Sea of Egypt (Dahab, Ras Sudr, Gouna). water is almost flat but a bit choppy sometimes, 12 knots to 22 knots.

Riding SB 12m, board : Cabrinha Chopstick 139 - LF Recoil: 130

I know my gear sounds inadequate, that's due to I live here in Egypt and it's not so easy to buy sporting stuff.

The question is .. Would it be a good Idea if I get a Shinn Monk Forever 2013?

NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Shinn Monk in Egypt

Postby NEkitesurfing » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:34 pm

I know all the three boards and I had and have the most fun with the monk forever. The chopstick is a little bit old fashioned but good in the chop like the name is telling us, but not the fastest board and not the most fun to ride. The Recoil offers good pop but is not the fastest board in general and upwind and quite heavy. The flex characteristic I would call simple. But that wouldn't be that important in glossy water. The Monk forever could replace easily the chopstick and recoil because it is at first so much more fun to ride, very fast, light, agile, comfortable because of the sophisticated board flex even in choppy conditions and easy to get the most out of it. The Monk show you what is possible in board technology today.
At the end only a real life test will show you which board serves you the best. I would suppose that the Monk Forever will win the competition.

heinzbush
Medium Poster

Postby heinzbush » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:11 pm

just fyi - they just released the 2014 Shinn Monk Forever... but from what I understand, the only changes are graphics, fins and footpads...

so if u can get a better deal on a 2013, go for it...

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:16 pm

I maybe wrong... but heard somewhere that the the tip flex was a tiny bit stiffer ?
Having said that - my 2013 is the 'Bees soft knees' and will buy another longer one to replace my old Fone Trax board.

Seraphial
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Pissouri in Cyprus & Flag Beach in Fuerterventura
Style: Freeride & Freestyle
Gear: Flexifoil Neutron 9m & 12m
Brunotti Onyx 2010
Prolimit Hadlow waist harness
Xcel wetsuits

Postby Seraphial » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:35 am

Mike the UK distributor is selling off 2013 demos if you're interested. May need to ask him if he'll post to Egypt. He's on this forum as well.

http://www.kiteboarder.co.uk/kitesurfin ... 71&t=57795

Captain_East
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ras Sedr, Sinai - El Gouna Red Sea - Sharm El Sheikh
*Red Sea - Egypt*

-Xenon Laluz 135
-Shinn Monk Forever 134

Postby Captain_East » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:13 pm

Thank you guys ..that's why I love this sport .. Beginners would never get a progress without your great help :)

I believe I should go for the 136 cm as I'm 5'9 and 82 kg (180lbs) .. or should i go for a smaller one?

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:13 pm

I am 196lbs and the 134x42 is perfect size for me so at your weight you could use the same or even the 132x41 if you kite in wind usually above 18 knots.

Captain_East
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ras Sedr, Sinai - El Gouna Red Sea - Sharm El Sheikh
*Red Sea - Egypt*

-Xenon Laluz 135
-Shinn Monk Forever 134

Postby Captain_East » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:43 am

The point is I'm a beginner and It's a bit hard for me to go upwind with the LF 130 .. that's why i consider the 136 better than the 132 .. what do you think?

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:24 am

Captain_East wrote:The point is I'm a beginner and It's a bit hard for me to go upwind with the LF 130 .. that's why i consider the 136 better than the 132 .. what do you think?
Your LF recoil 130 is probably only 39cm wide? A Monk 134 will have 42cm in width and the width of a board is much more important than it's length. A 136x44 Monk is just too much for nothing at your weight. An a Monk forever is a much better board then your LF recoil! and much easier to go upwind. This is like days and night. The thickness of the rail, the flex, the weight of the board, the comfort in chop/waves, everything will be easier and better on the Monk.

heinzbush
Medium Poster

Postby heinzbush » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:09 pm

I dont fully get why people ride the Shinn Boards so small... I understand its not about length, but about the surface area for which the width is more important...

If you take one size bigger, you get better lowend, easier to ride for beginners, calmer ride, etc... I doubt that for freeride (for which the MF is mainly for), the board would then be not suitable anymore and you cant do a trick anymore or jump as high..... Of course, if the board is wayyy too big, you wouldnt be able to hold the edge anymore BUT especially the Monk is THE board that knows no upper-end and never looses its edge...

--> so in that case, I would have expected ppl taking either at least the exact recommended size or maybe even a size bigger... but it seems the opposite is true... where is my thinking wrong?

As an example - I ride my 165*44 Mako King well overpowered without any issues - I chose the King for its feel and how it behaves in the waves... Following the "logic" of Shinn riders, I should weigh 200kg to ride this board.... :) But even my girlfriend with her 68kg loves the King!!

I also want to order a Monk Forever and I weigh 95kg - I would have chosen the 136*44 without hesitation, but now I got all "confused" by the size/weight I read on the web...
So going "smaller" would mean to take the 134*42... but the Monk should replace my Best Armada which is 138*42... why would I go smaller? If I would have asked for the proper size on the Armada, there would have been no doubt its the 138*42...

Please enlighten me... Maybe I'm missing the point somewhere...

Here is a theory - it might be cool to have a smaller board since it looks more like a pro... maybe even take the handle off to save weight...

Return to “Kitesurfing”