Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

ocean rodeo razor 12m

Postby jespin4845 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:11 pm

I recently got a 10m razor, and to me the kite is the perfect kite, its smoother than wainman's and have pretty good hang time

I have a 12m switchblade as my biggest kite, and even though i am bored with it, it has bottom end and works good for my conditions

is there anyone that has tried both and can tell me if the 12m razor will match the bottom end of the switchblade, even if i have to sine the kite a bit more? I plan on getting a hydrofoil in the future, but have a skim for now, usually i need 13/14k to be able to hold my ground in ocean current with my 12 at 200 lbs

that 10 razor is powerful...

can't really demo, even if we had wind in florida, this season sucks so far

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Re: ocean rodeo razor 12m

Postby adamj2281 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:15 pm

Yeah, I have the 10m and 12m Razor. The 12m has a huge amount of low end and still has quick, responsive turning. I have the 2012 12m, not sure on the 2013. I've ridden the Switchblade quite a bit as well, and I would say the low end power is better on the Razor, it also has more bar pressure, and less on the high end of things.

The 12m is my biggest kite so I've had it out in those 10 to 12 knot kind of days up to 16/17, over that I'm on my 10m.

Great kite, I wish they would make some improvements to the bar/lines, but can't complain on the kite.

tommeltot
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: .
Been thanked: 0

Postby tommeltot » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:18 pm

I just got a great deal on a 2013 Ocean Rodeo 10m Razor complete with their 'Fusion bar'

Yes it pulls like a tug and the turns are quick and responsive. It had my 64 kilos up and riding comfortably in 15 to 20mph on both a surfboard and twintip. The kite has a good low end and in the gusts some impressive range at the upper end. Can't wait to try it when it blows consistantly 20mph'ish.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby matth » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:33 pm

adamj2281 wrote:Yeah, I have the 10m and 12m Razor. The 12m has a huge amount of low end and still has quick, responsive turning. I have the 2012 12m, not sure on the 2013. I've ridden the Switchblade quite a bit as well, and I would say the low end power is better on the Razor, it also has more bar pressure, and less on the high end of things.

The 12m is my biggest kite so I've had it out in those 10 to 12 knot kind of days up to 16/17, over that I'm on my 10m.

Great kite, I wish they would make some improvements to the bar/lines, but can't complain on the kite.

I agree about Ocean Rodeo bar. Its fine and does the job but it really needs a redo. donkey dick is awful. rubber floats have to go also. The release is simple and safe on a good note. The bar is not in the same league as some other brands IMO.
On another good note for OR their customer service is top notch.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:01 am

Bar doesn't cost as much either... I've got a Freeride.

What I like about it is that it's simple and everything is easy to replace or repair.

Compare with the Cab IDS bar - 3 separate lines before the actual kite lines start, with internal bungys, multi-core PU tubes, adjuster knots and straps.

I'd like a below-the-bar swivel though... but not possible with below-the-bar trim.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:35 pm

Kamikuza wrote:Bar doesn't cost as much either... I've got a Freeride.

What I like about it is that it's simple and everything is easy to replace or repair.

Compare with the Cab IDS bar - 3 separate lines before the actual kite lines start, with internal bungys, multi-core PU tubes, adjuster knots and straps.

I'd like a below-the-bar swivel though... but not possible with below-the-bar trim.
I agree with everything here, the nice thing about the bar is it's simplicity. I'll add that I've never had issues with the safety system, although I've only deployed it twice in the last 3 years.

I'd like the fly lines to go to the Cabrinha material.

Return to “Kitesurfing”