Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do you want to turn your Epic bar into something Usable?

Forum for kitesurfers
alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Do you want to turn your Epic bar into something Usable?

Postby alexeyga » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:31 am

You're in the right place then! :thumb:

If you - just like me - were stupid enough to buy an Epic bar for your Epic (or non-Epic) kites, and if you're just like me - tired and fed up with Epic's "epical" customer service - you probably have one or two Epic bars laying around with a non-working trimmer or some other epically-failed piece.

But there's hope! So hang on!

As far as my bar is concerned, I've simply refused re-placing these faulty trimmers that were failing at a stupid rate and decided to do it my way.

Disclaimer: this modification will not make your already-not-so-safe Epic bar anymore safer. The only way to make it really safe is to convert it into real front-line-flagging system and we're talking about totally different budget here - which makes throwing your Epic bar into garbage and buying some other brand's bar that actually works - a very attractive and cost-effective option!

So here's an easy, step-by-step guide:

First and foremost, I've started by ordering some parts from Dimitri's best friends at: http://switchkites.com/
I've got the fallowing:
SWITCH-SHOPPING LIST.jpg
That actually came out cheaper than 3 "under warranty" replacement trimmers from Dimitri, have no idea how that's possible!!!

Please note that replacing your Epic chicken loop is optional - my mod would've worked with the stock Epic chicken loop just as well. However I always hated mine since it's damaging the bar, creaking and cracking when jumping and unhooking when you don't want it too. There were also reports that it jams up completely and doesn't release when you really need it to... soooo long story short - I've replaced mine with the one from Switch even if it's the most expensive item on the list.

Then you'd need to find or to make a trimmer handle as Switch doesn't sell one. I made one my-self, but rumor is - North's is a direct fit:
NorthTrustBar-L3.jpg
NorthTrustBar-L3.jpg (11.51 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
After getting all the parts:
_K5_0288.jpg
Next step would be to find a solid 1-3 hours of your time, a clean space to lay everything down and some peace from the outside world. Here's the dreaded thing:
_K5_0292.jpg
Please note that i've detached the flying lines.

And here's the main source of frustration towards this bar:
_K5_0287.jpg
Along with the chickenloop (note the damage to the bar):
_K5_0285.jpg

Now... GUT THE DAMN THING!!!:
_K5_0293.jpg
Only items worth keeping are the stopper, the ball that goes underneath it and both front leaders (from where you front lines split).

And re-assemble everything with Switch parts, make sure to re-install both the stopper and the ball exactly the same way as it was stock:
_K5_0295.jpg
_K5_0301.jpg
_K5_0302.jpg
Here goes my beautiful, hand-made handle (a 4th version actually - to be perfectly honest):
_K5_0306.jpg
Note that i've already added velcro tabs on the trimmer body.

Isn't she something???:
_K5_0305.jpg
B.T.W. Now would be a good time to scream "Huston!!! We have a problem!!!":
_K5_0305_wtf.jpg
VS the stock one:
_K5_0292_stock.jpg
Exactly! The new setup is about 14-15" shorter than the stock one. There are 2 possible solutions:
1)Cut the rear leaders to length and make new knots with figure-8-s.
2)Find another way which requires less cutting and splicing

I went with the #2 - hey mom look, what do we have here???:
_K5_0308.jpg
I'll be damned!!!:
_K5_0309.jpg
Basically i've removed both left end right leaders that are under the foams and attached the longer segments directly to the bar:
_K5_0311.jpg
_K5_0312.jpg
Now we've got some meat to work with:
_K5_0314.jpg
And voila!:
_K5_0316.jpg
DONE!!!! Now however the front leaders are about 2" longer than the rear ones, but that's nothing that cannot be solved with adjustment through knots and line stretching. Stock Epic lines are very stretching-friendly... very-very!!!!
_K5_0318.jpg
_K5_0326.jpg
_K5_0334.jpg
_K5_0329.jpg
She's ready to go:
_K5_0338.jpg

Points worth noting:
1)Apparently i've got a newer version of the Switch chickenloop and it comes with 2 simple nuts that you have to tighten against each other instead of a single nylon-lock-nut like it used to be. The catch is that these 2 nuts are very thin an require a metric 17mm key that isn't that easy to find to begin with, yet alone in thin version. I've managed with some unorthodox tooling that I don't really want to discuss in details, but I'd like to add that it's a good idea to apply some thread-locker in the process.
2)Yes I'm aware that I removed the Oh-shit handle from the steering line. It was rather useless to begin with, but I might install it later on one of the front leaders - a very easy mod.
3)I've re-installed the steel rings on the rear leaders as stoppers for the foams - just made a figure-8 knot through the ring.
4)Make sure to spend some time de-burring the trimmer's body as there are some very sharp edges that will shorten the depower line's life by a fair bit.
5)That's about it!

A personal message to Dimitri and his dogs:
Epic-Customer-Service-Sign.jpg
Epic-Customer-Service-Sign.jpg (90.85 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
Well, actually there isn't much to say after that rather self-explanatory picture...

Can't help wondering if all that crap is worth packing and shipping back to Epic:
_K5_0321.jpg
I'll post some feedback when I'll get a chance to test the new bar. Can't be worse than it was from factory - that's for sure!!!
Last edited by alexeyga on Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Re: Do you want to turn your Epic bar into something Usable?

Postby Caesar » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:24 am

:thumb:

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby fdvj » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:20 am

You went to all that effort and didn't bother to make it flag out to 1 front line? Your mini fifth is useless as it gives you 5cm more depower than dropping the bar and thats it.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:15 am

fdvj wrote:You went to all that effort and didn't bother to make it flag out to 1 front line? Your mini fifth is useless as it gives you 5cm more depower than dropping the bar and thats it.
This. There's a reason the OEM setup had much longer through on the center there - so when you pull the QR, there's enough line for the kite to flag out ;)
I'd go back and do it all right - the 6mm Amsteel for the depower you can get anywhere; it and the safety line can be spliced easily.

Good work, though! The QR and the trimmer, I didn't like either. Those should be nice...

kitewise
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ct., Fla.,Aruba, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Pompano beach Fla.
LongbeachPark Stratford, Ct.
Boa Grande Aruba
OBX for sure
Gear: EPIC screamer and Renegade
EPIC DROID
BEST Thruster
Brand Affiliation: EPIC

Postby kitewise » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:38 pm

I am affiliated with Epic as a dealer.
I have been riding EPIC bars since day 1. Certainly, the first series needed some work. The newer bar corrected the deficiencies of the first bar. I've sold dozens of bars and have never experienced your problems.you either have very bad luck or a chip on your shoulder about Dimitri. Based upon the amount of sarcasm, I'm guessing you don't like D. Since you mention him so much and showed his pic.
You should think about designing your own bar! I would buy one. When could you have it on the maket so we all can get one?
Phil

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:03 pm

fdvj wrote:You went to all that effort and didn't bother to make it flag out to 1 front line? Your mini fifth is useless as it gives you 5cm more depower than dropping the bar and thats it.
Lets put some things straight:
-In order to make the kite flag to one central line the proper way, I'd need to install a real spinner "a la" Slingshot, Naish or LF. That kinda defeated the purpose of the whole mod which I wanted to keep low-cost and I'm already using a Naish bar as my main "tool". The only reason I bothered with the conversion - was to make a RELIABLE backup bar for me and my friends.

-As far as safety goes, I'll be installing an Oh-shit handle on one of the front lines, but that's as far as will go. Switch's mini-5th is maybe shorter than the stock Epic's setup, but it doesn't change anything for s@it as the bridal on Epic kites isn't designed for the kite to depower completely when flagged. If you want to ride Epic kites "safely" - you have to leash to the oh-shit handle on the steering line, which renders looping impossible.

kitewise wrote:I am affiliated with Epic as a dealer.
I have been riding EPIC bars since day 1. Certainly, the first series needed some work. The newer bar corrected the deficiencies of the first bar. I've sold dozens of bars and have never experienced your problems.you either have very bad luck or a chip on your shoulder about Dimitri. Based upon the amount of sarcasm, I'm guessing you don't like D. Since you mention him so much and showed his pic.
You should think about designing your own bar! I would buy one. When could you have it on the maket so we all can get one?
Phil
Phil,
It's the other way around, I really like the guy - it's his attitude towards clients and inability to say "Sorry guys, we have an issue, but I'm working on it - so hang on!" that got me ticking.

A few weeks ago I've met a local guy who's flying a bunch of Epic kites as well, he had the exact same issues as me - the damn trimmer needed to be replaced every few weeks, and he did for some time until getting fed up and rebuilding his bar with North parts - works like a charm ever since.

I'm actually rather hard about what I want in a bar, and I'm not ruling out the idea of making something commercially available considering the ridiculous cost of new ones.

Cheers!

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:54 pm

[quote="alexeyga"] you probably have one or two Epic bars laying around with a non-working trimmer or some other epically-failed piece.[quote]

Once heard from CEO that seven thousand Epic bars were sold in the past 3 years

Since most people take lines off-on....and have 2-3 Epic kites that's 14,000 to 21,000 kites sold

........................:cheers: :desperado: :housewife: :happybirthday: :redcard: :pump: ......................

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:11 pm

Nice work......what took the most effort, sorting the bar or all the moaning that went with it.

Kiters mod bars all the time, not sure why all the sarcasm :-?

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:12 pm

*** YAWN ***

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:23 pm

Once again Mr.alexeyga their is nothing wrong with the BLADE CL. But you can always buy the new "EPIC CHICKEN LOOP 4G RETROFIT ACCESSORY KIT" and do something even better then what you just did.
In case you don't know, we have been working on our new EPIC Chicken Loop for over 2 years now in order to bring you something incredible and different. And this is the reason why for the past 3 years we have been using a CL from another kite company while we have been working into making our own EPIC Chicken Loop.
But again you can't make every body happy. If you don't like the BLADE CL we have been using for (2010/2011/2012 & 2013) then please don't buy it. Or even better customize it the way you want the bar to be. A lot of people do this to a lot of their bars, such as Best, Cabrinha, North, Liquid Force, Epic, SlingShot.....you name it.
Any way enjoy this new video.

EPIC CHICKEN LOOP 4G RETRO FIT ACCESSORY KIT

And in case you did not know about our new 4G EPIC BAR here it is:
Attachments
IMG_1866 2.jpg
IMG_1777 1.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”