Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Freestyle Kite?

Forum for kitesurfers
Lives2fly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barvas, Gress, Sheilabost, Luskentyre, Reef, Ardroil, Melbost, Tong
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Naish Cults, Bolts & Parks
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Freestyle Kite?

Postby Lives2fly » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:09 pm

I'm working my way through basic freestyle tricks like back loops, frontloops and various aerial transitions at the moment using a mixed quiver of Naish Parks and Bolts 2011 & 2012.

Is it worth getting a dedicated freestyle kite to advance into Raileys, S Bends, F16s and so on?

What would be a good size to start with? I was thinking a 10 or 11m Torch or a Vegas. Or is it better just to keep going with the kites I have? I get plenty of height for tricks when I send it but not so much from pop. Probably bad technique as much as anything else!

speedyRider
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Freestyle Kite?

Postby speedyRider » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:19 pm

For basic unhook stuff you are good with parks. Load and pop can be different in a dedicated freestyle kite but to throw basic rotations, raleys and kiteloops you are good with your current kites by now.

Its when you are aiming at getting closer to the bar for air passes, throw blind/wrapped landings (you need slack) when a freestyle kite will help you, when you start throwing raley to blind and stuff like that and want to progress later to air passes, then you need a more dedicated machine, this will help with your progression. Of course anyone knowing to do air passes can throw in just any kite but to learn them it will help for sure.

So i would keep your current kites by now, learn how to correctly load and pop with them and throw all the basic stuff and then think of changing to another more dedicated kite

Return to “Kitesurfing”