Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: nightmare situation wrapped in someone else's lines

Postby marekmk » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:54 am

http://knifehog.com/p-1420-spyderco-res ... 45sor.aspx

at the speed that chaos breaks out during a kiting nightmare the idea that you have to open up a knife to use it, from my point of view is not very practical

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:22 am

best place for a knife i reckon is on chest but bit impractical. I have tested a few knives on thick leader lines - teh best was a parachute hook knife with 2 blades that separate slightly under more pressure - so you are using a completely fresh blade - like a knife through butter - tried some ofteh ones with harnesses - could not cut. But like I say having time to deal with a knife sounds easy in practice but very difficult in reality, but agree as may as well have one if possible - hard to fit the big hook knifes somewhere convenient tho

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:38 am

davesails7 wrote:
tomatkins wrote:Warning: Do not even consider carrying that orange handled hook knife.
Why don't you like the orange one? I noticed that it only has one blade instead of the two in a "V" shape. Two blades is probably much better. But is there anything else that makes the Dakine better?

Check out the rust on the orange one on page 4 ...... read the whole study for more info. Page 5 shows a selection of knives that were tested with the test rig.

I used the old orange one from 2002 to 2004, and when I tried to use it the blade just disvolved into rubble.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:24 am

longwhitecloud wrote:best place for a knife i reckon is on chest but bit impractical. I have tested a few knives on thick leader lines - teh best was a parachute hook knife with 2 blades that separate slightly under more pressure - so you are using a completely fresh blade - like a knife through butter - tried some ofteh ones with harnesses - could not cut. But like I say having time to deal with a knife sounds easy in practice but very difficult in reality, but agree as may as well have one if possible - hard to fit the big hook knifes somewhere convenient tho
First, glad you are OK. Serious Kitemare! I agree, the chest is the best place for the knife. My older Mystic impact vest has the knife pocket on the chest which worked well. I am now wearing a Dynabar harness with the knife in the back which is not nearly as good. Friday I did a deep water self rescue when the wind died. It was very low drama, so I took the time to access what I might need in a bad situation. Needless to say, when I tried to reach the knife, it was difficult. I can't imagine trying to get that thing while being dragged.

I am sort of thinking that for this reason, impact vests have the advantage, and manufacturers could even make better use of velco pockets in different locations for user preference.

ben newman
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby ben newman » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:02 am

Luck and fast thinking got you out of that one :thumb:
I got a knife with my Mystic harness. just checked it to see it's not rusted and to test it. It works great but my harness is from 2012 so not that long a time has past.

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:29 am

ben newman wrote:Luck and fast thinking got you out of that one :thumb:
I got a knife with my Mystic harness. just checked it to see it's not rusted and to test it. It works great but my harness is from 2012 so not that long a time has past.
Mystic deserves a lot of credit for being the first one to put out a good double-bladed hook knife. Dakine copied their design... which had been proposed on KF in the above thread.

I recommed that anyone using an impact vest, just sew on the little sheath that the DaKine or Mystic knife comes in... sew it on over your heart, so your right hand can get to it. If anone is interested in a picture of this, just say so, and I will take a picture of my Promotion impact vest with the sewn-on sheath and knife. Until the manufacturers offer such a product, we kiters, must take the first step, and just do it... takes about 20 minutes with a needle and thread.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:07 am

marekmk wrote:http://knifehog.com/p-1420-spyderco-res ... 45sor.aspx

at the speed that chaos breaks out during a kiting nightmare the idea that you have to open up a knife to use it, from my point of view is not very practical

This is my backup knife meant for more heavy duty situations like nets, fishing line etc.
I do not think your going to get to anything in some situations, but in a slower developing scenario
like getting your legs wrapped up it would work well at cutting quickly though multiple lines.

jaystore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rome
Brand Affiliation: JAY

Postby jaystore » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:58 am

KYLakeKiter wrote: First, glad you are OK. Serious Kitemare! I agree, the chest is the best place for the knife. My older Mystic impact vest has the knife pocket on the chest which worked well. I am now wearing a Dynabar harness with the knife in the back which is not nearly as good. Friday I did a deep water self rescue when the wind died. It was very low drama, so I took the time to access what I might need in a bad situation. Needless to say, when I tried to reach the knife, it was difficult. I can't imagine trying to get that thing while being dragged.

I am sort of thinking that for this reason, impact vests have the advantage, and manufacturers could even make better use of velco pockets in different locations for user preference.
JAY XT harness has a key pocket on the left side and we place the knife inside, but you can place it in the front inside Dynabar pad.
ben newman wrote:Mystic deserves a lot of credit for being the first one to put out a good double-bladed hook knife. Dakine copied their design... which had been proposed on KF in the above thread.
This double blade design isn't Mystic property and is available to all brands.

Return to “Kitesurfing”