Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Leading Edge Deflate after reinserting - thorn in there?

Forum for kitesurfers
snowycarter
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Leading Edge Deflate after reinserting - thorn in there?

Postby snowycarter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:27 am

I am looking for some advice on how to know if the inside of the leading edge is clear of anything that could cause pin prick holes.

Backgrond ... I landed the kite on some prickly grass at a new location.... leading edge had 6 pin prick holes in it that patched with Tear Aid and bladder. The bladder after repairing was holding air overnight. Struts as well.

When i reinserted (carefully) the LE and connected all the one pumps there is still a slow leak just in the LE. I am speculating that there is a thorn or something as i know that it is not the strut connections for the one pump.

Any advice on how to know that the LE inside of the kite is clear of any pricks or thorns ?

I am concerned that just removing and repairing a new hole will lead to the same outcome of slow leak in LE.

thanks in advance :-)

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Re: Leading Edge Deflate after reinserting - thorn in there?

Postby FabsPH » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:22 am

just an idea of top of my head:
If you got an old strut bladder, attach rope to each side and pull it through the LE, inflated of course. Maybe you can find a thorn or something that way....?
Idea, not proven.... by me....
Could work

snowycarter
Medium Poster

Postby snowycarter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:56 am

Yeah good idea FabsPH, I will try it. Was also thinking of giving it a good blast with the garden hose too from inside out.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cglazier » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:00 am

It is doubtful that a thorn is sticking inside the bladder sleeve without you noticing it on the outside.

Be aware that small pinholes sometimes do not leak until the bladder has very much pressure. You must really inflate a bladder hard when it is outside the kite to reveal leaks Usually it will start to herniate and look like a snake that has just swallowed something big. Spray with soapy water and look for bubbles.

Another technique is to inflate the bladder hard while in the kite and spray the outside of the kite. Bubbles will reveal the area where the leak is so that you have an easier time finding it when you remove the bladder.

Good luck.

:wink: CG

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:50 pm

Bugger :x

Maybe the thorn is in a seam, thus not that easy to feel/spot ?

I have seen one guy getting his kite in a thorn bush.

The bladder could be repaired easily, although A LOT of tape on the numerous holes.

But even after having looked after thorns in the leading edge and felt with hands inside, and washing with a hose - the bladder still got punctures after reinsertion, so he dumped the kite and bought a new one (it was not a new kite...)

Can be tricky apparently...

It will not help you, I know, but would just share it CAN be a problem, and not only you who has experienced this :-?

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”