Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

scams get funnier every year

Forum for kitesurfers
H53Driver
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: scams get funnier every year

Postby H53Driver » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:34 pm

sijandy wrote:What's the scam... i don't get it?
Laughingman wrote:As I understand this scam it goes like this, once you provide the guy with details, he will send you a check/money order from a foreign country which is for too much money. It will be counterfeit. He will ask for you to send the extra money back to him. You don't find out the money order is fake until your bank withdraws the money back from your account when they realize its fake. It could take weeks, mean while you have already shipped the board and the extra cash back to them.
gotcha... like the first guy said you'd almost deserve it if you're stupid enough to fall for it.
Seems like you were ripe for the picking :jump:

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:00 pm

Here's another one just arriving this morning.

my name is John Calipari Coach for the (Kentucky Basketball Team UK)we are
coming to your country to pray a match,on November 2013.

i want to book for accommodation for myself and my team in your hotel.I want
make a reservations of 16 single rooms or eight (8)Double rooms for 16 Adults
in your hotel for 3 days from 1 November - 3 November 2013.

Confirm the availability for the dates,the daily rates / total cost of the
stay.Please remember to calculate the total cost including tax.

Regards

John Calipari

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby sijandy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:03 pm

H53Driver wrote:
sijandy wrote:What's the scam... i don't get it?
Laughingman wrote:As I understand this scam it goes like this, once you provide the guy with details, he will send you a check/money order from a foreign country which is for too much money. It will be counterfeit. He will ask for you to send the extra money back to him. You don't find out the money order is fake until your bank withdraws the money back from your account when they realize its fake. It could take weeks, mean while you have already shipped the board and the extra cash back to them.
gotcha... like the first guy said you'd almost deserve it if you're stupid enough to fall for it.
Seems like you were ripe for the picking :jump:
ha ha behave, you know what i meant... you can see it's a scam i just didn't see how exactly it worked - just looked like they were asking for personal details only and i don't see how you get money from that.

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster

Postby Don Monnot » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:36 pm

I had a very similar response when I was selling a boat. The scammer doesn't want the product. They just want you to refund them the "overpayment". They usually say they'll have some "friend" come pick it up, or arrange shipping themselves, etc., just to get you to give them a bigger refund of their "overpayment". Dumb.

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:42 pm

sijandy wrote:What's the scam... i don't get it? Gaining personel details or hoping people will send items without payment? Don't think it's even worthy of the word 'scam' is it... it's just bullshit no? My inbox gets about 20 of these type emails everyday!
That's why they call it a scam. Because you don't realize it is a scam. The scam here is this. A prospective buyer contacts your for whatever item you are selling. They tell you they will send you a check so they ask for the pertinent details. Just before your check arrives the prospective buyer e-mails you saying their "assistant" accidentally sent out the check in the wrong amount and they have overpaid you by $1,000. The prospective buyer apologizes and asks for you to send back only $500 of the overpayment and for you to keep an extra $500 for your troubles. He/she asks you to deposit their check into your account. So you receive the check and deposit it. You wait a day and see that the additional money is now in your account so you contact the buyer back. He/she gives you instructions to go to a Western Union and wire money back to him at some Western Union location.

You are a good person thinking you made an extra $500 so you go to your account...pull out $500 of the additional over payment the buyer sent to you and you wire him/her the money. Done.

Around 7 days later you log into your banking account and find that your account has been debited the full amount of the check you had previously deposited. What happened is this. Fraudsters send viable checks linked to real checking accounts. However, the check clearing system is slow (around 7-10 days). Once your bank finally processes the check against the account holder and finds the account is closed then your bank immediately debits your account in the full amount of the check. So you lost $500 because this is the amount you wired to the prospective buyer.

They caught a lady in Texas doing this after a 5 year investigation. They estimated she made around $350,000 doing this scam over the years.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:46 pm

Helloz,

I'm interested in item. I willz pay via PayPalz. Please give your PaypaL account info so I can send you moniez azap. Alzo pleaz included your Mastercard, Social Obscurity #'s and underpantz size. I will send Extra money for being a greatz guy.

Cheerz,

The Interweb

madmax7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Belmont, Nicholas Canyon, Lake Isabella, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cabarette, Margarita, Maui
Gear: Naish Kites, North Boards

Postby madmax7 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:56 am

Reg scams

Trying to sell kite thru PayPal. But a friend warned me that some people get paypal to reverse payment because they complaint product is defective. So then u r out kite and money.

How r u guys moving used equip. What u recommend.

Thanks, Max

ben newman
Medium Poster

Postby ben newman » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:06 am

madmax7 wrote:Reg scams

Trying to sell kite thru PayPal. But a friend warned me that some people get paypal to reverse payment because they complaint product is defective. So then u r out kite and money.

How r u guys moving used equip. What u recommend.

Thanks, Max
PayPal will not just reverse the payment, they will first check in to it and investigate.

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:27 am

Return to “Kitesurfing”