Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Ruben Lenten's Extract kite

Postby edt » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:19 pm

Tiago1973 wrote:err.. stupid question here - what´s exactly the difference between kiteloop and megaloop?..

i mean - when it stops being a kiteloop and starts being a megaloop?
in a megaloop the kite yanks you, and then you free fall, while the kite zooms back up to the top of the wind window, and if your kite reaches the top in time, it will catch you. If it's not fast enough you slam and break a rib. In a low kiteloop you are never more than 10 feet above the water so when you drop it's just a regular landing, the kiteloop never has to completely finish. If you want to do a jesus walk or darkslide you need to master the low kiteloop first. In a helicopter loop, the kite just spins above you. Helicopter loops are useful in doing transitions. Low or helicopter loops can be done in any amount of wind, but megaloops require enough wind to for the kite to complete an entire circle while you are in the air and get enough height that it finishes in time to catch you.

They are all kiteloops tho, megaloop low kiteloop and helicopter loop. There's also a surface kiteloop, you do a surface kiteloop in order to do a water start or on a surfboard for various reasons

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tiago1973 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:46 am

thanks. i do some of those and can clearly see the distinction between mines and Ruben´s

i was just wondering if there was a more technical definition for what is a kite loop and what is megaloop

guess not

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:55 am

Tiago1973 wrote:thanks. i do some of those and can clearly see the distinction between mines and Ruben´s

i was just wondering if there was a more technical definition for what is a kite loop and what is megaloop

guess not
yeah you got it, it's just a matter of degree. Some kiters will say one kiteloop is not a megaloop and others will say it is. I don't think definitions are super important, just kite hard and have fun.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:21 am

As long as your slightly overpowered and get the height most "faster" turning kites will do it - tuned properly... you soon learn which kites are Mongrelized for various styles of lawn mowing and which ones you can trust...
Nothing scarier than a kite you dont trust - but the bullshit Hype says you can !!!
I used to be a Virgin lol

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:26 am

Kite2Heaven wrote: And Megalooping 11 n 12's are pretty common these days ...
Show me the video of someone mega looping a 12M kite.

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:45 am

Tiago1973 wrote:err.. stupid question here - what´s exactly the difference between kiteloop and megaloop?..

i mean - when it stops being a kiteloop and starts being a megaloop?
This is a great video for you to see a slow motion mega loop. Skip to 7:27 mark and listen to Aaron talk about a mega loop and then watch the slow mo video of him. At 7:48 he and his kite are at the same height. Sick.

And you will never see anyone do this on a 12M kite. Hadlow is on a 7M kite in this video sequence.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:05 am

Ayahuasca - just watch the King of Air, someone used a 10 and just remember - the 'Worlds not Flat anymore ;)
Im curious, dont you have any big jumping guys with Gonads where you kite ???

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:13 am

Ayahuasca wrote:

And you will never see anyone do this on a 12M kite. Hadlow is on a 7M kite in this video sequence.
omg ayahuasca I remember watching this but I did not remember that Hadlow doing that sick megaloop handlepass at 8:20. That's what it is all about. Time to rewatch the entire episode.

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:54 am

Kite2Heaven wrote:Ayahuasca - just watch the King of Air, someone used a 10 and just remember - the 'Worlds not Flat anymore ;)
Im curious, dont you have any big jumping guys with Gonads where you kite ???
I hear ya but no way someone mega loops a 12M unless they get one massive monster boost. A 12M is just too big to get back around in time to catch someone unless they get monster air.

The KOA guys had nice 8 foot waves as kickers which is why the guy on the 10M was able to throw it.
Last edited by Eurus on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:55 am

edt wrote:
Ayahuasca wrote:

omg ayahuasca I remember watching this but I did not remember that Hadlow doing that sick megaloop handlepass at 8:20. That's what it is all about. Time to rewatch the entire episode.
Yes...one of my fav episodes. Hadlow makes it look too easy.

Return to “Kitesurfing”