Replacing Slingshot Bar center line?

Forum for kitesurfers
laz
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Replacing Slingshot Bar center line?

Postby laz » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:19 pm

It is a 2009 bar. From videos it appears that the center line has a loop and a bearing. I have bearings from skateboard that would work. But not sure about the centerline? I got the bar for around $100 so really do not want to spend nearly the cost of the bar on a new centerline being the bar is already a few years old also do not want to wait for shipping. Has anyone made a new centerline "with loop" themselves, what type/test line did you use? I have west marine stores near me.

Let me know if anyone has experience with replacement.

Thanks

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Re: Replacing Slingshot Bar center line?

Postby GregK » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:22 pm

Maybe a picture of your bar would help others on the forum, not everyone is familiar with SS gear.

If it's the trim line that needs replacement, it's likely 5 or 6 mm diameter 12-strand single-braid Dyneema line ( Samson Amsteel 3/16-inch or 1/4-inch at West Marine ). Loops are made by splicing the line back into itself and securing the splice with stitching.

Sometimes the fixed end of the trim line is secured to the bar with the line's loop around a small sheave. The sheave is not moving, and can be re-used, at least on Naish bars.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:23 pm

by centerline do you mean the safety system line?

u can use somewhere around 2-3mm dyneema sk75 amsteel blue is fine you can buy their smallest rope 7/64" that's a bit thicker than the original line but should be fine.

For the chicken line the original is 1/4 inch (6mm) dyneema sk75 but you can use 1/4 or 3/16 (5mm) dyneema they should both be fine. 5mm is the modern size of the chicken line.

You will want to learn how to splice to make the loops at the ends of the rope. If are on a budget it is one of those skills that will save a ton of money because you can make all your own lines instead of buying them at the kite store.

And you dont need a bearing at the Y, you can use a fixed steel ring all the bearing does is untwist the center lines, just remember to rotate the same number of times in both directions and you don't need a swivel.

romkite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: France
Style: Freeride TT & Strapless surf
Gear: 5&7&9 2010 SS Octane
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby romkite » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:35 pm

I do use the SS 2009 chicken loop, not the other parts of the SS bar. By center line I understand you are talking about the depower rope. I tested many different types & diameters, I am now using 6mm dyneema. It might not work properly with the original setup though, because standard 12 braid dyneema doesn't seem to hold well in the clamcleat... (I modified mine for above the bar trim, with different cleat, different trim rope, etc ...). I suppose 16 braid would work but I never got the chance to try.

The original rope diameter is about 8mm, so beware your dynamic stopper will not work anymore with 6 mm.

As for the end of the rope, no need for complicated splice, just tie a double overhand stopper knot and you're done. cf. http://www.animatedknots.com
I use to do a lot of splice, I am just tying knots everywhere these days. Just be sure to use the right one for the right purpose.

As for the bearing I use 3EUR skateboard bearings that will automatically untwist my front line for about 30 session. Can do 10+ more sessions in semi automatic mode :-)

Depower rope longevity, I am now waxing it say every 10 sessions, it seems like it will last forever and it does not rip the skin off my finger anymore.
edt wrote:And you dont need a bearing at the Y, you can use a fixed steel ring all the bearing does is untwist the center lines, just remember to rotate the same number of times in both directions and you don't need a swivel.
Ouch ... just remember to forget that comment ... your 2009 SS chicken loop does the job. Edit: it doesn't work well if you are using the safety line though.

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:51 pm

The Slingshot de power rope isn't expensive ? £14.00 in uk. Considering you got the bar cheap, why not fit the original. By the time you paid for dyneema and faffed about is it really worth the save ?. I have done it the cheap way, and it's a pain getting jammed in cleat if not exact size. BTW presume you are talking about compstick if an 09 ?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:53 pm

letsgoflyakite wrote:The Slingshot de power rope isn't expensive ? £14.00 in uk. Considering you got the bar cheap, why not fit the original. By the time you paid for dyneema and faffed about is it really worth the save ?. I have done it the cheap way, and it's a pain getting jammed in cleat if not exact size. BTW presume you are talking about compstick if an 09 ?
letsgoflyakite it is definitely worth it. He's not only learning how to splice and buy appropriate line for repairing this bar he's going to save money each time he does a line or bridle repair in the future.

I know 14 pounds don't sound like much but over several years of repairing your bars, it does add up. If you need to save money on kiting learning to splice and which diameter lines you can use helps a lot. I haven't had problems using a smaller diameter line in those older slingshot bars, it hasn't jammed on me, but maybe I don't use the cleat as much?

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:48 pm

I just rehabbed a 2009 SS bar. The chicken loop line (center line?) was shot and the bearing was rusted to shit. I just took an old SS line, popped an ABEC bearing from my roller blades and inserted them - perfect fit on the bearing. Then I made a huge knot in the line to hold the chicken loop on. Nice below the bar rotation.... Not sure why they used a bearing made out of steel that rusts in the first place...

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:01 pm

edt wrote:
letsgoflyakite wrote:The Slingshot de power rope isn't expensive ? £14.00 in uk. Considering you got the bar cheap, why not fit the original. By the time you paid for dyneema and faffed about is it really worth the save ?. I have done it the cheap way, and it's a pain getting jammed in cleat if not exact size. BTW presume you are talking about compstick if an 09 ?
letsgoflyakite it is definitely worth it. He's not only learning how to splice and buy appropriate line for repairing this bar he's going to save money each time he does a line or bridle repair in the future.

I know 14 pounds don't sound like much but over several years of repairing your bars, it does add up. If you need to save money on kiting learning to splice and which diameter lines you can use helps a lot. I haven't had problems using a smaller diameter line in those older slingshot bars, it hasn't jammed on me, but maybe I don't use the cleat as much?
Well, with kites at ££££££ it would be cheaper to make them also :D Agree +1 splicing is a good skill, and also wish the line was £5.00 not £14.00 since money is a factor. But, with cost of dyneema and cost of my time ? Suppose If you make several at once that would be good. BTW I do find the SS line lasts for ages. Still got an 07 SS going strong with original line, although a bit fluffy. With regards to bearings, the seals do a really good job of holding water in, and doesn't help matters. Skate ball bearings are often steel or chrome etc , these are ceramic, so will not rust, although the cages often do, if that helps when looking for replacements.

Return to “Kitesurfing”