IMG_1036.jpg (49.74 KiB) Viewed 975 times

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sudden boost in winds...

Postby Don Monnot » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:53 pm

Wowza!!! Now that's a gust! If you're near shore when that sucker hit, it's goodbye kite or hello to hurtin'.

Don

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:24 pm

At 5pm when wind dropped off and started to shift ...was the clue in itself ...as seen on that graph

The monster gust was at 6pm.......dangerous that's for sure :wink:

Not sudden....plenty of time to take cover...i am sure something big was visible and approaching

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:50 pm

SupaEZ wrote: ...

Not sudden....plenty of time to take cover...i am sure something big was visible and approaching
Look at 5:30 on, as the wind Increased , the Gusts increased MORE ; and
Kept increasing !!

Like Supa said : "Nothing Sudden .... with Plenty of time to take cover" .

Bille

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:31 pm

markap42 wrote:See attached. Speaks for itself.
This looks like an iKitesurf graph.

At the vast majority of beaches where they have sensors around here, what is ACTUALLY happening at a location is usually only APPROXIMATELY what the graph shows at any particular moment in time and the degree of accuracy (or LACK thereof) varies moment to moment. In fact, their "reports" are FREQUENTLY not even CLOSE to what is ACTUALLY happening at a particular location or at at particular PART of a location.

Therefore, regardless of what the graph shows, the situation COULD have been much closer to the OP's description.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:43 pm

[quote="RichardMTherefore, regardless of what the graph shows, the situation COULD have been much closer to the OP's description.[/quote]

COULD not disagree more :wink:
OP's wind did not change direction....remained blowing onshore..no wind shift of @90 degrees
Went from 16kn to 26 kn .........a 10kn increase.....scarrrrrrrrrry stuff
So that graph is not even close to the situation of the OP

geopeck
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby geopeck » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:58 pm

Yeah, that's quite a gust. When I look at the graph I see some stuff that would make me more cautious if I was riding in it.

The wind drops from 16-8 in a few increments, builds back to 14 and then drops to 9 in one increment. But the bigger red flag is the change in direction. You can tell things are changing fast.

I don't know what kind of terrain is around pleasure bay or what kind of wind was being ridden (frontal, diurnal etc.) , but I would consider yourself lucky and start thinking of this experience as part of a deep understanding of your environment.

I'm sure a lot of kiters get this same read on their local winds. Every direction has it's own personality and can be a sign of what is going to happen. My case is a little exaggerated since I have 3000 ft mountains and tall hills on some sides of my local kite spot, and we ride a combination of fronts and day breezes. Some wind directions are great, others OK, some I won't ride out of fear/experience of being burned. And if I travel 20 miles to another spot I have to learn those characteristics as well. Sometimes it means not kiting because I just don't trust what is happening.

Here's something to think about - instead of just looking at the forecast for your spot, look at the prediction and reports for everything around it as well. Some of NOAAs graphics can give a very detailed idea of what the big picture is, to the extent that they are accurate. And if you read their forecast discussion they will actually say that they have low confidence in their forecast or say that all the models are in agreement. I may be a little OCD about the whole thing but I am looking at a minimum of 5 forecasts each time I expect to ride at this time of year, less so when we have day breezes.

And truthfully, it's not just out of an abundance of caution. I am not a nanny for the other riders who live here or a fretter. It's because getting deep understanding of local weather will put me (safely) in the place and moment where the wind and waves are focused. I leave my house at the right time, I skim the cream, I come home and dream about it. When it works.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:10 pm

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:38 pm

SupaEZ wrote:[quote="RichardM]Therefore, regardless of what the graph shows, the situation COULD have been much closer to the OP's description.
COULD not disagree more :wink:
OP's wind did not change direction....remained blowing onshore..no wind shift of @90 degrees
Went from 16kn to 26 kn .........a 10kn increase.....scarrrrrrrrrry stuff
So that graph is not even close to the situation of the OP[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Evidently I was not clear. I was trying to make the point that ".... their "reports" are FREQUENTLY not even CLOSE to what is ACTUALLY happening at a particular location or at particular PART of a location."

For example, in this situation, where both the location of the sensor and the OP are unknown AND the OP has stated that the change occurred over a very short period AND the photo of the location shows a CIRCULAR beach, the odds that the sensor INACCURATELY shows the OP's exact situation is even GREATER than usual.

Additionally, I believe that their sensors only report data in some periodic fashion and their REPORT SMOOTHS out the data as it connects the dots. Meaning that a highly PERCUSSIVE type gust could occur but may not show up because it's averaged into the data burst.

Furthermore, they use a type of sensor that spins. Anything that spins loses accuracy the sharper any changes are because it has inertia and momentum. It's best to not treat their graphs as perfectectly representative of an exact situation.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:54 am

RichardM wrote: For example, in this situation, where both the location of the sensor and the OP are unknown AND the OP has stated that the change occurred over a very short period AND the photo of the location shows a CIRCULAR beach, the odds that the sensor INACCURATELY shows the OP's exact situation is even GREATER than usual.

The circular beach (graph) is near Boston :wink:
Seaplus the OP is from North Texas :wink:

Richard you are going in circles here

Return to “Kitesurfing”