Favorite Beaches: Sunset Beach - Cape Town
Style: Wave, Wake
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

2014 Cabrinha Contra 17m with 2015 Overdrive 1XL bar

Postby janeko » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi guys,

Does anyone have experience with riding 2014 Cabrinha Contra 17m with 2015 Overdrive 1XL bar? I see on the Cabrinha website that they are compatible: http://www.cabrinhakites.com/compatibility-chart.html but I'm thinking more about general feeling and performance? Any ideas how do they behave? What properties might be affected? Turning speed, relaunch?

The reason I am asking is that I have recently ordered a set of 2014 Cabrinha Contra 17 and just received it but with a 2015 1XL bar. Now wondering whether I should bother with exchanging the bar to the 2014 model or should I stick to 2015.

Thanks!

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Re: 2014 Cabrinha Contra 17m with 2015 Overdrive 1XL bar

Postby bigwave » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:20 pm

Hi,
I think you should definitely keep the 2015 Bar. The main changes from the 2014 Bar are a new "Quick Loop " and integrated Bar end floats. The new QR and swivel is really nice.
The 2014 Contra is very similar to the 2015 version. Either bar would work the same but the 2015 is a nicer design.
If you have not used your bar, hook your lines up and "pretension" the lines to seat the knots and main depower line. I have found that the front lines seat about 1'-1 1/2" initially. I have a bar that I "pretensioned" with over 7hrs on it and no front line stretch. If you have used your bar, check you lines after the first use to make sure there even.
Have fun with your Contra, great kite!

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:05 am

You got lucky getting the 2015 bar and I would definitely keep it!

I've been flying my 2012 Switchblades 9M and 12M on the smaller bar, Overdrive 1X, that came with the 2015 7M Switchblade I got. I extend the bar ends out to full 56cm width. I love the way the 2012's fly on it and stopped using the old bars, the kites turn faster and have a more direct feel with the lower V. Needless to say resetting the release is way easier and better on the 2015 bar.

If you keep it be sure to put the slider in at the bottom of the spring if it doesn't have it, and replace the thinner release bundgie with the thicker replacement one to hold it in tighter. Also hook your lines so the release line is on the upwind side coming in to shore.

janeko
Rare Poster

Postby janeko » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:52 am

Thanks for the answers guys.

I have contacted the shop and that actually was not a mistake but they don't have 2014 bars anymore so they give 2015s in a price of 2014s. Personally I'd prefer to be informed about this beforehand especially that prior to making an order I have contacted the shop through an e-mail to check the availability.

But anyway, both of you suggest that some adjustments or checks must be done before riding. Let me check if I understand you correctly:

Bigwave: what do you mean by pretension the lines to seat the knots and main depower line? Check if they are even?

Dave: I got a recoil with a bar and instruction how to install it. Could you tell me what is a release bundgie? Where do I get a thicker replacement for?

Thanks!

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bigwave » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:01 pm

janeko wrote:Thanks for the answers guys.

I have contacted the shop and that actually was not a mistake but they don't have 2014 bars anymore so they give 2015s in a price of 2014s. Personally I'd prefer to be informed about this beforehand especially that prior to making an order I have contacted the shop through an e-mail to check the availability.

But anyway, both of you suggest that some adjustments or checks must be done before riding. Let me check if I understand you correctly:

Bigwave: what do you mean by pretension the lines to seat the knots and main depower line? Check if they are even?

Dave: I got a recoil with a bar and instruction how to install it. Could you tell me what is a release bundgie? Where do I get a thicker replacement for?

Thanks!
Check out the video on the Cabrinha Support Page.
Grab the Quick loop when all the lines are tensioned and pull and release it around ten times. This will seat the lines and knots. After you do this, the line will have extended about 2.5-3.0 cm. Then like shown in the video,pull on the rear lines around 10 times each to even all the lines. Do this whole process a couple times and your lines/knot are good to go.

QR Bungie
Check out the video on the Cabrinha Support Page. Your bar might have the upgraded one piece bungie. If not your dealer will have them. Some of the early bars had an issue with the bungie stretching and the QR would become loose. We only had one bar like this. Its an easy quick change to the new bungie.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:15 pm

Yeah score on the 2015 bar. The '14 had the flagging line run externally and is really annoying while setting up.

The new chicken loop, as others have mentioned, is great. Floating is a bonus too.
You'll like the '15 bar for sure.

janeko
Rare Poster

Postby janeko » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:55 am

Thanks for your opinions and tips guys. I'm gonna keep the 2015 then :)

dragnfly
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool/ St Annes. New Brighton (UK)
Favorite Beaches: UK - Rhosneigr. New Brighton, Blackrock Sands.
Non UK - Dakhla.
Style: FS80% WS15% Strapless5%
Gear: Cabrinha FX 12,9 & SB 7m, Drifter 5m
Crazyfly Raptor ltd 136 2018 (best board ever!)
Slingshot Screamer

Postby dragnfly » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:05 pm

oo - 1st i've heard about that bungee. Are they providing free replacements for those as well as the recoil slider bit?

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bigwave » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:48 pm

dragnfly wrote:oo - 1st i've heard about that bungee. Are they providing free replacements for those as well as the recoil slider bit?
Yes, your dealer should have them. It replaces the 2 individual bungee's with a single one. Easy install.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:54 am

When I took my bar into a dealer they quickly installed both of these for me at no charge. Here are the video links:

Recoil slider installation video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wrj-clcxMv0

Bungee installation video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NczR8gx0ljE

Return to “Kitesurfing”