knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot Rally 2014

Postby knotwindy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:27 pm

i flew my wife's 2012's for a while, flew the 2013 for a bit and now the 2014 and they feel different to me.
the '12's had a nice pivot turn for the waves but no pull for loops or anything else. the '13's had more low end power and a carvier turn but were a bit slow to turn. the '14's are right in between, can make them pivot turn or carve turn, has good range, goes upwind well, floats good enough, pulls thru the loops and has a really smooth bar pull all the way through. none of the on/off bar pull, just gradual increase in pull as you sheet in. it is a really fun all-around kite.
no, i do not ride for SS or get my gear free and i do not even ride their kites right now, just saying' what i felt on them.

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:02 pm

I have ridden the 2013/2014 12m back to back and the 2014 has more power as if it's a bigger kite than the 2013. It seems to turn as fast but I would not describe it as a pivot turn as knotwindy did. It seems like a "carvy" turner in both cases. Maybe in smaller sizes you can get a "pivotal" feeling in the 2014's. I'd say the general feel is the same between both years. What I do like better is the new 2014 bar's depower system. The rope slides better through the cleat for sure. Not a miracle but better. The release is better as well.

The 2014 12m rides upwind well. But if you make a mistake and drop it low it will pull hard down wind due to it's intense mid canopy pull. Helps in the waves though... And then sits back nicely. As you upstroke out of the wave to get back upwind watch the pull from that Rally - it's a big one. Not the lightest kite and bar system so you feel there is something substantial there. Rode a 2013 9m Rally back to back with a 10m North Dice and the Dice is zippier and lighter which I prefer in waves. Hangtime is better on Rallys which I enjoy but upward pull is stronger and quicker on the Dice.

I feel the Rally is more "stable" than the Dice due to it's rigidness, weight and shape. However the Dice is as stable a 3-strut kite I've been on...

Rode a 2012 10m Rally a few times in the last weeks and I totally get the "pivotal" turn concept. Kite just turns instantly back the other way. Compared to the 2013/2014 Rallys the 2012 has less grunt, less jump/hangtime, quicker turn, a little more floppiness in the canopy. The 2012's have a "fun" quickness factor that I like. The 2013/2014 have a stability/hangtime thing that I like with great all-around characteristics. I'd be getting the 2014 Rallys if I were someone out there with the money...

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:53 pm

markchatwin wrote:...Rode a 2012 10m Rally a few times in the last weeks and I totally get the "pivotal" turn concept. Kite just turns instantly back the other way. Compared to the 2013/2014 Rallys the 2012 has less grunt, less jump/hangtime, quicker turn, a little more floppiness in the canopy. The 2012's have a "fun" quickness factor that I like. The 2013/2014 have a stability/hangtime thing that I like with great all-around characteristics. I'd be getting the 2014 Rallys if I were someone out there with the money...
That's a perfect comparison between the 2012s and 2014s!
Some things better on one model, some things better on the other. Just like women... :) ...and cars, bikes, smartphones, restaurants, etc. etc...I guess.

PinkNorthPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Silver Sands Barbados
Nyali Kenya
Dougs the Gorge
Style: Lawn Mowing
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: North, Maybe Core next...

Postby PinkNorthPride » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:10 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:
markchatwin wrote:...Rode a 2012 10m Rally a few times in the last weeks and I totally get the "pivotal" turn concept. Kite just turns instantly back the other way. Compared to the 2013/2014 Rallys the 2012 has less grunt, less jump/hangtime, quicker turn, a little more floppiness in the canopy. The 2012's have a "fun" quickness factor that I like. The 2013/2014 have a stability/hangtime thing that I like with great all-around characteristics. I'd be getting the 2014 Rallys if I were someone out there with the money...
That's a perfect comparison between the 2012s and 2014s!
Some things better on one model, some things better on the other. Just like women... :) ...and cars, bikes, smartphones, restaurants, etc. etc...I guess.
Yep, spot on, that's exactly it, the 2014's are soo much nicer and more useful in all sorts of scenario's from twins to surf riders..

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:53 am

You guys have it nailed really well for the 2012 Rally compared to the 2014 Rally. The 2012 is just an almost perfect wave riding kite that does a lot more, but has a few drawbacks.

In super gusty conditions, the 2012 Rally will be a handful. I know this well when riding the 6m Rally in angry winds recently and it was a handful. Went on the 8m 2014 Rally and it was much more stable. But in waves and good winds, the 2012 Rally has so many great qualities.

2012 Rally wave riding advantages:
*FAST turning.
*Light bar pressure.
*Pivot turning.
*Great drift.
*Luffs better than most kites?
Why is luffing important? 2 reasons. At times you just need no pull on the kite and the ability to luff and drift are important. Also, if doing tack transitions, the 2012 Rally won't keep lifting when overhead. Makes it much easier to do tack transitions on surf boards.
*Sizes from 14m - 6m.
So many wave kites start at 12m and it's amazing how many 14m sessions in waves are out there.

2014 Rally advantages for free riding and freestyle:
*Stable.
*Tons of lift.
*Tons of power.
*Quick turning.
*Medium bar pressure.
*Huge jumps with great hang time.
Sizes from 14m - 6m.

Even though I've had a few good sessions with the 2014 Rally in waves, I still prefer the 2012 Rally in those conditions. However, I have not been on the 8m or 6m 2014 yet in waves, but I'm not sure they will drift as well.

The 2014 Rally is rock solid in the air and super fun to jump.

Hope this helps,

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

magic%20Ed
Frequent Poster

Postby magic%20Ed » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:08 am

For me, the 2012 did not provide enough feedback/power (riding strapless). This can be due to my weight (95 kg) or due to the fact that I've been riding strapless with Fuels for ages.

In my opinion, the Rally (13/14) is an ok wavekite in the big sizes, but an excellent one in 8 & 6. And I can use the 8 from 16 knots...

When doubting wich size to take: I had a 9 also and think it is a bit to slow for a good wavekite. Also it does not start a lot earlier than the 8.

Missing in the line-up this year is the 4.5, specially girls and kids would love that size (used to be available).

wetdog
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby wetdog » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:35 pm

Are there any significant differences between the 2013 and 2014 Rally?

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:35 pm

I think cumulatively there is... There are more attachment points allowing for more fine tuning. I've read folks are adding an attachment point to the 2013 to make it turn faster. The bar is upgraded to include a better safety release (grippier) and something in the depower cleat (360 pulley I think it's called) to make it easier to pull the depower rope. It is easier because I have flown both the 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 bars back to back and it is easier, not a miracle but easier.

According to SS there is more bottom end to the kite. Well there is because a 2014 12m flown next to a 2013 12m shows more grunt. But it turns about the same. So when "they" say faster turning I think the new 2014 12m turns the same as the 2013 12m but it is gruntier kind of like it's a 13m... I've read from users on the nwkite forum that there is more material in the 2014 kites.

SO all in all they fly about the same but there is enough stuff that makes the 2014's "better". But how much better? They cost twice as much as 2013's are right now. I don't think they are twice as much better though.
Last edited by markchatwin on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolkster
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Galveston, Tx
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Maui
Hood River, Oregon
Tariff, Spain
Style: Free rider
Gear: Naish, Crazy Fly, Core

Postby Wolkster » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:03 pm

wetdog wrote:Are there any significant differences between the 2013 and 2014 Rally?
Not sure which year they added the additional struts near wingtips, but both my 2014 Rallys 14m&10m are 5 strut kites.
Being new to the sport I have only flown these two kites so I can't real give much comparison to previous models. I have noticed that on lighter wind days I tend to be one of the more powered up guys on the water(@ 170lb /w 142cm board), having no problem staying upwind with the 14m when most people are hanging it up or flying 17m's?

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:27 pm

I'm pretty sure they added those wingtip struts in 2013...

Return to “Kitesurfing”