Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

A Major New Kite From Cabrinha? (Shot w/New Hero3+)

Forum for kitesurfers
davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: A Major New Kite From Cabrinha? (Shot w/New Hero3+)

Postby davesails7 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:12 pm

Kamikuza wrote:So I'm failing to see how double-front lines are "worse" than singles... especially after seeing that video :(
I think the leash to 2 front lines works great 99% of the time, but there are a few really rare situations where it doesn't work. The one I can think of is iIf a front bridle gets wrapped on the wingtip and the kite is death-looping, I don't think the 2 front line leashing will help the situation. There have been a few stories on here of people releasing to 2 front lines and the kite keeps looping.

Also, you need to have pullies on the bridle for a 2 front line system to work. The single front line allows the kite to not have any pullies.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:13 pm

The Velocity is the only Cabrinha kite to have the Quicklink control bar and depowering system. I stand corrected thanks to jbdc's input regarding the other 2014 kites which no longer use an IDS system but a Overdrive 1X system which also flags off of one line and also allows on the fly adjustment of the bar length by 8 cm. I had never seen the Velocity depowering system used before and so decided to shoot a video on my first go with it. More to come.
Last edited by RickI on Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbdc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ashbridges Bay, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Favorite Beaches: Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
Style: Intermediate
Gear: 2012 Pansh Aurora 15m
2010 Slingshot Octane 13m
2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 9m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Cypher 5m

2010(?) Imagine Surf Fat Fish 5'2"
2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm
2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jbdc » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:54 pm

RickI wrote:The velocity is the only cabrinha kite to have this type of control bar and depowering system. All the other current Cabrina kites use an IDS depower system like your crossbows. The IDS is a good system and I've use it in strong winds too with good results. Who said the velocity depowering system is better? It might be or could be functionally the same. I had never seen the velocity depowering system used before and so decided to shoot a video on my first go with it. More to come.
Rick, I figured the Adventure Sports/Cabrinha guys would have filled you in on this one. As of 2014, the IDS system is dead. It has been replaced by the Overdrive 1X:

The 'Quicklink Race' bar paired with your Velocity is the only one with a clam cleat; but the entire range of Cabrinha control bars now flag to a single front line.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Thank you jbdc for the correction! I missed the dealer meeting this year and am playing catchup, more than I thought. I understand all the other 2014 Cabrinha kites are designed to fall on to their leading edge into the wind as shown in my video. Ironically, the Velocity was not designed for this but perhaps in the lighter winds, did so anyway?

Return to “Kitesurfing”