Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Kiter dies in NYC - Plumb Beach

Postby RickI » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:16 pm

The Bruinisse, NL accident. I didn't know he passed away, a young 26 year old kiter too. Rest in peace. Thank you for the information Peert.
Peert wrote:
We had one fatality this year in the Netherlands. Less likely to picked up by kiteforum members because of our beautifull language.

Very short summary: A relative beginner launched a kite too large for the gusty circumstances. (A bandit 10, conditions with gust up to 30kts) The kite was launched to close to the centre of the wind window. Kiter was launched when the kite was launched. The beach was relatively spacious, but the kitelaunch was done too close to a big and sturdy wooden pole, kiter ended up against it. RIP.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:38 am

6 deaths in 2013 at least so far (i am pretty sure i have heard of others in non english speaking countries), most on land or ended up on land. I can also think of a handful in 2013 that ended up critically injured in intensive care and survived -(couple in uk from memory).

Hard to conclude accidents are only due to bad decisions, ability and weather conditions too; but there is no doubt about one thing - we can learn from these.

Stay safe and don't support an organization like IKA that thinks that kiteboaring events do not need facilities any different to sailing events - ie buffer zone launching landing areas , clean wind etc . Also that educates parents of young kids that want to get into kiting that it is as safe as any other sport (with due considerations). This kind of behavior has to stop.

Rick I - have u had any communications with IKA ISAF? or done any consultancy work based on kite safety in the last 2 years for anyone (not just IKA ISAF)?

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby matth » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:44 am

I think part of the problem is people learn to get out and ride relatively quick. This is great in one way and bad in an other. Great you can ride in surf and high wind and feel under control, bad you are probably in conditions you are not really skilled enough to ride in. It took me years of windsurfing to go into surf when it was blowing 25 plus. With kiting I was doing it my first year.
My point is I think the steep learning curve of kiting is awesome but also dangerous because it gives folks a false sense of security. I remember when I was first learning an instuctor told me windsurfing was more dangerous. I just shook my head knowing he was very wrong.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:54 am

^^^

Same with cars, same with cars... Youngsters think they can race like a rally drivers. Then they die.

Also, where do we see any photo with a pro wearing a helmet? It's all marketing. The state might blanket us with some law (no law for wearing a helmet in Holland while cycling - everyone cycles), which I will never support.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:05 am

longwhitecloud wrote:6 deaths in 2013 at least so far (i am pretty sure i have heard of others in non english speaking countries),
most on land or ended up on land. I can also think of a handful in 2013 that ended up critically injured in intensive care
and survived -(couple in uk from memory).
CRAP !!

I started Kite boarding 8 years ago, because i was 52 years old then, & thought
i should get into a sport that wasn't as dangerous as Hang gliding and Para gliding ;
sorta like
looking out for that Longevity thing ...

I'll be 61 on Halloween ; now i'm thinking that if i wanna LIVE a long life ---
maybe i should give-up kite boarding , and stick to what i Know ----------the HG !!!

This Sucks ; so many people Dying ------------------------------i don't get it ??

And the Bad part is that most EVERY kite-boarder i've met , has bin :
Really COOL ; not so with the HG & PG crowd, we got a Bunch of people
i wouldn't miss if they just went away.

OOPS ------ i Resemble that Last remark ! :(

Bille

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:23 am

Bille, but you would not give away driving a car, wouldn't you? :) No one would.

When we see a bystander deaths caused by a kite, than will have a much bigger problem...

In here (downunder), there are more baby deaths in a swimming pool than deaths by sharks. Every year.

g00se
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby g00se » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:40 am

Danger and risk perception is relative to the individual.

I know people that won't go out in winds above 25 knots because it's dangerous. I love those conditions, it's the reason I kite.

Some of these same people are happy to walk down a sandy concrete jetty with a large kite above them in 15 knots. I won't do that - for me the risk of getting dragged into something hard is too high.

Everything is relative..

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:17 am

g00se wrote: ...
I know people that won't go out in winds above 25 knots because it's dangerous. I love those conditions, it's the reason I kite.

Your feeling that Adrenaline flow through your veins , the hair on your neck is Burning, your arms
are shacking , the awareness
is hyped and everything goes in SLOW-Motion !!!

Nothing feels Better, and ALL you wanna do is :
" Do it Again" ; and MORE !!!
It Feels SO00oo-GOOD !!!!!!
If you place your hand on your girlfriends pelvis after that ; she's gonna Come.

In some respects , normal people wanna feel like the --g00se-- and they wanna be like You & me
and every other kite boarder that put in the time to learn such,
sorta like Anything to get themselves out from under that mundane boring existence they call life.

They wanna Live too.
Problem is : They Ain't the --g00se-- and there reflexes aren't anywhere Good enough to survive
in the environment that You & me call "Normal" ; -------------------------------------------------so they Die !

I think it's really Really SAD .
First time i ever shed a tear on this forum . :(

Bille

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:17 am

i would never preach that it is too dangerous, I simply think people should take this information and use it for educating themselves .

Driving to the beach is far more dangerous I would guess. The issue for me is that honesty is in the best interests of riders (or their parents) and that IKA did the ultimate sin by vastly underplaying /lying about safety issues in kiteboarding during their olympic campaign.

Some industry folks don't like it, I bet even Toby gets hassled from time to time from his industry sponsors about threads like this - but he knows it is in the best interest of kiteboarders and in my book they come first - they are my friends. Industry folk that are sellouts are not.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:33 pm

http://blog.holidaybooked.com/2013/10/1 ... s-poole-2/
Another critical injury a few days ago.

There was a rider airlifted from this same spot a few months ago too and it was thought he might be paralyzed after being dragged 100ft across beach and road into a building. Another guy was critically injured in Southend, UK with massive injuries I think it was earlier this year.

I am posting this to prove a point. That it is disrespectful to the kitesurfing community for IKA to publish an article that says kitesurfing is as safe as any other sport. Especially to no wind/water sport experience parents of kids that want to get into it (I had direct experience with this).

Don't get the impression I am a safety guy, if u know me you know I am not. The problem I have is irresponsible disinformation about my sport being published that does not enable people to make informed decisions.

I think these incidents make up a good picture of what is going on, and this is with very little research, because once I start talking to my kitesurfing friends in mostly non english speaking countries they seem know a world of local accidents not found with simple google searches.

Accident information educates and therefore keeps riders safer. There is always something to be learned from these tragic events.

Rick I - have u had any communications with IKA ISAF? or done any consultancy work based on kite safety in the last 2 years for anyone (not just IKA ISAF)?

Return to “Kitesurfing”