Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Contra 2014 Reviews

Forum for kitesurfers
Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Contra 2014 Reviews

Postby Dave_5280 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:33 am

Has anyone ridden the new Cabrinha Contra 2014 and what did you think?

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Contra 2014 Reviews

Postby davesails7 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:34 am

Check out the Velocity vs. Contra thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2381780

I rode the Contra 15m in about 15 knots at the Cabrinha demo and was really impressed. Big jumps and lots of hangtime without the very high bar pressure of most other Cabrinha kites.

I had a 2008 Contra 14m years ago with the pulley bar, and couldn't stand it because of the bar pressure. I sold that kite after just a few sessions.

The 2014 Contra is the first Cabrinha kite I've ever liked. Can't comment on low end though.

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby experienced1 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:31 am

davesails:
did you try the SB or Velocity at the demo? they also both have light bar pressure; the SB in the A wingtip position. So does the Drifter in the A wingtip position.
steve

AdrenalinDriven
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Those dangerous C shaped ones

Postby AdrenalinDriven » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:07 am

I rode the 15m for the first time on the weekend. It came stock on the the "B" settings for the back lines (i.e higher bar pressure and slower turning speed.. probably better for those over 90kgs) .. I changed them to A as I am lighter. If you want lighter bar feel and quicker turning probably go for A.. raw power and stronger feel go for B. I took it out in 8-10 knots with onshore chop on an Axis Newave 5'8" strapless. It was really impressive! Quick for a 15m, nice and light on the bar, and tons of power. Got up riding well and was messing around with little airs, jibes, and turns. Tons of fun. It has ample power on tap.. once you get put on plane just lock it in at 45 degrees and cruise along. The wind picked up to around 15 knots and I switched to my Custom CBL 140. I wasn't expecting much out of this kind of kite for wakestyle but honestly.. WOW. Unhooked and handlepasses were super fun and the kite just sat there taking whatever I threw at it. I didn't have any backstalling and even got some slack for my mobes. I can't speak highly enough about how well Cabrinha have done with this kite. Give it a demo if you can.

kitesurfbali
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom

Postby kitesurfbali » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:51 am

Cabrinha Contra 15m Report.. Wrote on the second day and after 2 more weeks in a notorious wave spot (I was the only one kiting there for 12 days as this year it was light wind everyday)..

Ok I waited another extra day to write my report as I also wanted to compare back to back with some other big kite..
So conclusion are: I LOVE THIS FREAKING KITE!!!!!!!
Is everything I expected... Powerful but still light on the bar, super stable but float nicely, turn fast for his size and loops really tight...
Upwind is OK but is not a race machine or a Switchblade.
Pool is really constant and immediate, just sine the kite and you go even on slow speed. BUT is in waves where it shine and over take all others light wind kites I tried till now.. Is like a huge Drifter/Reo it follow you while you are riding down the wave! It doesn't stall at all and doesn't Hindenburg like most of the others kite do.
With my Minimal today I was still powered up at 16:00 when the wind was only 8-12 knots..
For you to understand the low end I compare with a very popular kite that many of you may have tried.. It has the same Low End (maybe slightly better) of an Ozone Zephyr 17m first series BUT it turns faster and tighter then a Switchblade 14m 2013...

If you want to test this kite just come and see me at any time!
This is will be the hit kite for Bali this year...

PS. If you are in Wakestyle or Racing this is not the kite for you..

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:19 pm

experienced1 wrote:davesails:
did you try the SB or Velocity at the demo? they also both have light bar pressure; the SB in the A wingtip position. So does the Drifter in the A wingtip position.
steve
I did not demo the 2014 Switchblade and the Velocity was not available to demo. I had tried the 2013 Switchblade last year when it was supposed to have been lighter bar pressure and faster turning, but still seemed like high bar pressure and slow turning to me. Boosting was great though. Not sure what wingtip setting it was on at the demo. It's a personal preference thing. I just don't like the feel of the switchblades or crossbows, but I know others love them.

markymarc
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Katwijk aan Zee
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay / Dolphin beach
Cabarete
El Cabezo
Zandmotor / Wijk aan Zee
Sprecklesville
Style: freeride boosting big air / big waves
Gear: Duotone Jaime SLS 2022 136 cm
Cabrinha Switchblade 7,9,11 2021
North Whip 2014
Cabrinha Contra 15m 2014
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby markymarc » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:14 pm

kitesurfbali wrote:Cabrinha Contra 15m Report.. Wrote on the second day and after 2 more weeks in a notorious wave spot (I was the only one kiting there for 12 days as this year it was light wind everyday)..

Ok I waited another extra day to write my report as I also wanted to compare back to back with some other big kite..
So conclusion are: I LOVE THIS FREAKING KITE!!!!!!!
Is everything I expected... Powerful but still light on the bar, super stable but float nicely, turn fast for his size and loops really tight...
Upwind is OK but is not a race machine or a Switchblade.
Pool is really constant and immediate, just sine the kite and you go even on slow speed. BUT is in waves where it shine and over take all others light wind kites I tried till now.. Is like a huge Drifter/Reo it follow you while you are riding down the wave! It doesn't stall at all and doesn't Hindenburg like most of the others kite do.
With my Minimal today I was still powered up at 16:00 when the wind was only 8-12 knots..
For you to understand the low end I compare with a very popular kite that many of you may have tried.. It has the same Low End (maybe slightly better) of an Ozone Zephyr 17m first series BUT it turns faster and tighter then a Switchblade 14m 2013...

If you want to test this kite just come and see me at any time!
This is will be the hit kite for Bali this year...

PS. If you are in Wakestyle or Racing this is not the kite for you..
Hi, can you share your weight please? And what amount of volume has your Minimal? And what lenght? I get my Contra 15m in a week or so...Can't wait to go for it...

kitesurfbali
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom

Postby kitesurfbali » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:06 pm

I'm 72 kilos and my minimal is a 7'0 regular for surfing.
Bye Jankie

markymarc
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Katwijk aan Zee
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay / Dolphin beach
Cabarete
El Cabezo
Zandmotor / Wijk aan Zee
Sprecklesville
Style: freeride boosting big air / big waves
Gear: Duotone Jaime SLS 2022 136 cm
Cabrinha Switchblade 7,9,11 2021
North Whip 2014
Cabrinha Contra 15m 2014
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby markymarc » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:13 pm

Thanks Jankie...With my 5'8 and 81 kg I think between 12 and 16 knots will be my optimum... :bye:

donohu90
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ocean City, NJ
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade, Vector, Custom

Postby donohu90 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:40 pm

Has anyone rode bother the 14m Switchblade and 15m Contra (2014)? Cabrinha list each kite's windrange as exactly the same. I expected the 15m Contra to have a windrange in the in the lower speeds. Then again those numbers are just approximates.

I demoed the 14m Switchblade once. I didn't really put it through it's paces, I was real beat up from the day before, but I liked it. It was very stable, and plenty of power (~15mph, moderate current, Cab Custom, 195 lbs). Build Quality seemed very good. The lines seemed a bit thicker than the 2012's (I haven't flown the 2013 Cabrinha's much).

I bring it up though because I'm looking to add a light wind kite to my quiver. I wonder if the 15m Contra makes much sense. The Contra's bar isn't totally compatible with Cabrinha's other kites. It needs the bigger 1XL for the safety system to work. The other kites, excluding the velocity, all use the 1X bar. So does the 15m Contra perform that well that it justifies spending $500 on it's very own bar, when you could go with a 14m Switchblade and use it's bar on almost every other Cabrinha kite? I currently have a 9 Switchblade and a 12 Vector. If I got a 17 Contra I think there would be a gap between that and the 12. It seems like just pairing a 14m kite with a directional makes the most sense. I think I just answered my own question.

Return to “Kitesurfing”