Forum for kitesurfers
heinzbush
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Contra 2014 Reviews

Postby heinzbush » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:26 pm

... and of course you can just get the 1XL bar for Contra and all other Cab kites without any issues... as mentioned before, the small setting of the 1XL bar = the large setting of the 1X bar...

markymarc
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Katwijk aan Zee
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay / Dolphin beach
Cabarete
El Cabezo
Zandmotor / Wijk aan Zee
Sprecklesville
Style: freeride boosting big air / big waves
Gear: Duotone Jaime SLS 2022 136 cm
Cabrinha Switchblade 7,9,11 2021
North Whip 2014
Cabrinha Contra 15m 2014
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby markymarc » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:04 pm

Thank you guys. I just got my 15m Contra, but without the bar.. :cry: .Now I think about using my 2014 1X bar which I use for my SB's...and checking your comments this should be possible...

At the moment it's blowing 30-40 knots with us all week, so I don't need the Contra anyway these days..

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:15 pm

The Cabrinha website is very clear about not using the 1X bar on the Contra. This has to do with the 1 line flagging safety sytem. another poster has already measured the flagging line on the 1xl Contra bar and indicated that it was longer than the flagging line on the 1x bar. This is for a reason...so that the kite will flag and dump power when you need it; when you release QR1. It may work OK when the wind is light, but would it work better? how bout when it gets windier?

Another poster indicated the only difference is that if you use the 1xl bar the kite will turn faster Well there are other differences:
1) standard line length on the 1x is 22m (outside lines
2) standardd line length on the 1xl is 24m (ouside lines)
3) standard line length on the 55cm race bar is 24m 9utside lines, and 27 for the 65cm.

steve

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want

Postby C Johnson » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:03 am

So is the Contra any good?

I'm trying to decide between a Contra and a Naish Fly.

Reviews please! thx!

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:44 am

The reason it is hard to get reviews on the Contra right now is that only a few kites, all demo's from what Cab tells me, have made it around the country. The generally go into the reps hands who take or ship them from dealer to dealer for people to demo. A couple of the largest shops might have been able to keep one. But at least in N. America, the first dealer stock doesn't arrive until November.

- Stafford

www.adventurekiteboarding.com

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:08 am

C. Johnson:
there are 3 reviews on page one of this thread. I add my review, but I'm biased towards the Contra. Contra delivery to dealers in the USA is scheduled for 2nd week in Nov
steve

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:39 am

Hi Chris,

I saw your other post about the Contra and Naish Fly. I didn't reply due to no experience at all with the Naish Fly, but only the new 2014 17m Contra. I just got my demo Contra and will give a quick assessment.

We had a 2 week trip to Cape Hatteras and just got back. Great winds during the trip. Everything from 6m up to 17m Contra and Fat Lady riding.

The Contra is one gorgeous looking kite in the air. As with all Cabrinha kites, the materials and craftsmanship are second to none. I like the new bar and lines and center line single flagging. It's designed like most modern light wind kites with just 3 struts to maximize light wind stability and performance without sacrificing other aspects.

The winds the day I rode the 17m Contra were right on the border of being good, but not great. Probably around 8-12...maybe 13 or so. I weigh 200 on the nose and ride a 148 Axis Vanguard. The Vanguard is a great freestyle board, even in that size, but gives up a little on the low end compared to other bigger/flatter boards. But...the Vanguard let's me do freestyle moves even in lighter winds.

That being said, the Contra pulls like a truck and has an excellent bar feel to it. Not too light and not too heavy. There we're quite a few other riders out and I was staying upwind better than most. I was able to do some raileys with ease. Very smooth unhooking feel to the Contra 17m. I couldn't really test how well it jumps since the winds were on the low to middle end of the range. My guess is it's an excellent jumping kite with great hang time, but cannot confirm yet. I'll let others confirm unless I get another session on it soon before our lakes freeze over.

On each unhooked trick, I'd go downwind quite a bit, but the Contra would rip back upwind back to where I started easily. Anyone who rides light wind kites a lot knows that it can take a long time to get upwind on big kites. The contra goes upwind really well.

Turning speed was good for a 17m, but not as fast as the 17m Blade Fat Lady. Most big kites turn slower than the Fat lady, so this was expected.

Cabrinha was smart to make the Contra a great light wind kite for the majority of riders out there. The Velocity is a huge jumper and has incredible speed, etc., but it's also built lighter to maximize low end and high end performance. If income is disposable, the Velocity might fit the bill for some, but the Contra will fit the bill for most.

I hope this helps...Where do you live?

I have the 17m Contra demo if you are interested in trying it first.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

markymarc
Medium Poster
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Katwijk aan Zee
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay / Dolphin beach
Cabarete
El Cabezo
Zandmotor / Wijk aan Zee
Sprecklesville
Style: freeride boosting big air / big waves
Gear: Duotone Jaime SLS 2022 136 cm
Cabrinha Switchblade 7,9,11 2021
North Whip 2014
Cabrinha Contra 15m 2014
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby markymarc » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:35 pm

experienced1 wrote:The Cabrinha website is very clear about not using the 1X bar on the Contra. This has to do with the 1 line flagging safety sytem. another poster has already measured the flagging line on the 1xl Contra bar and indicated that it was longer than the flagging line on the 1x bar. This is for a reason...so that the kite will flag and dump power when you need it; when you release QR1. It may work OK when the wind is light, but would it work better? how bout when it gets windier?

Another poster indicated the only difference is that if you use the 1xl bar the kite will turn faster Well there are other differences:
1) standard line length on the 1x is 22m (outside lines
2) standardd line length on the 1xl is 24m (ouside lines)
3) standard line length on the 55cm race bar is 24m 9utside lines, and 27 for the 65cm.

steve
Thanks Steve, fully clear now. Will not risk anything unless really light winds..Once I've flown my Contra several times I will surely post a review...

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knot_moving » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:58 am

One thing i would add to earlier reviews - from those locally that have ridden the contra 15, is that as the wind comes up and you edge the board, the kite really moves forward in the wind window keeping power manageable

kitesurfbali
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom

Postby kitesurfbali » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:15 am

Been using my Contra 15m up to 17-18 knots in full control.
Also I use the Contra Bar for all my others kite down to the 8m..
Works perfectly. One bar for all kites..
Bye Jankie

Return to “Kitesurfing”