Forum for kitesurfers
noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Self Launch Anchor Technique Problem

Postby noel » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:13 am

I have seen this happen a few times. Usually from side to a little bit side off or gusty conditions. The kite stalls a little and hot launches. I agree 100% with bnthere. Run your hand down a center line when walking back to your bar. I usually launch off a beach 10 ft. wide and under palm trees at high tide. Most of the time I drift or slide launch but occasionally tether to a tree. When I tether, I always run a hand down a front line. Kite won't bounce and if it does stall, the front line will depower the kite, hold it to the water and stop it from stalling. Some kite have been known to bounce more than others.

I have noticed that most kites that bounce are usually under inflated. They pop off the water just a little and as they settle back to the water, they fold a bit, pop open and bounce higher or hot launch.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:30 am

One bloke on the Aussie forum came up with an idea where he also puts a sand peg into the sand With the hook lying above and securing the bottom steering line. I use this now when it is really howling.
like it
Run your hand down a center line
:thumb:

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sijandy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:11 am

I had a good one the other week, was self landing my kite as usual, i use a carbiner and length of chord that i wrap around the breakwaters, kite to edge of window sitting nicely on the mud, cliped the c.loop in, started walking towards my kite and the next thing i know the bar comes past me on the floor with the c.loop released! Luckily managed to dive on it and grab it and just about got the release mech back together again while the kite was bouncing around all over the place! Still to this day don't know why it released - very strange.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:33 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dazarter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kiel
Favorite Beaches: Somewhere in France
Style: freeride
Gear: Gaastra pure 2016 13, 10, 8m
crazy fly raptor pro 142x42 seaflight wave

Postby dazarter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:23 pm

I start like that as well, mosly without problems.....with 25 knots of gusts i tried it a few weeks ago, normally my just stays u bouncing, this time it was all over the place, decided to wait 30mins before another kiter came....he started the kite and straight after the donkey dick came out....kite 9er looped hard had to let go, also flew up about 2 metres! I was fine but the kite had two rips 35cm long. landing on a boat.cat...ending the session before i started....i think it was bad luck but when i start now i always leave the kite very low.......kiting always keeps you allert no winds are the same...

donohu90
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ocean City, NJ
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade, Vector, Custom

Postby donohu90 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:27 pm

Good, solid advice and replies. Thanks. I've been under the impression for a while now that kiteboarders as a whole are generally smarter than average. Probably because the level of dedication the sport takes and how complex it can be.

Looking back I think i was too hasty in setting the kite at the edge of the wind window, so it probably wasn't correct. I think I had it too far upwind. And compared to the previous day's conditions, 30mph gusting to 40 winds and overhead waves, I think the mellow conditions made me complacent, which can always cause trouble.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:31 pm

BWD wrote:Get a rope.
Find a post or solid fixed object.
Tie the middle of the rope around the post.
Use a quick release knot.
Tie one end of the rope to the chicken loop, also with a quick release knot.
Tie the other end to the bar end that will lead to the steering line on the bottom.
Also with a quick release knot.
Tie it such that the rope from the post to the bottom bar end is short enough to skew the bar as if steering down - just a few inches shorter than if it were neutral.
Again, use a quick release knot.
I understand what you are trying to accomplish here but don't you think this could be dangerous especially in light winds?
For example: If there was a lull the kite could fall onto the leading edge along the wind and drift back, once in the power zone the kite could relaunch in the direction of bar end which is tied then start to loop....?

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:25 pm

[quote="donohu90"
Looking back I think i was too hasty in setting the kite at the edge of the wind window, so it probably wasn't correct. I think I had it too far upwind.[/quote]

If you had it too far upwind the kite would not have launched by itself and fly to 12 noon

So it had to be too much downwind in relation to wind direction and anchor location

Too far upwind the kite would just luff and fall over...down on it's leading edge

:cheers:

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:39 pm

SupaEZ wrote:[quote="donohu90"
Looking back I think i was too hasty in setting the kite at the edge of the wind window, so it probably wasn't correct. I think I had it too far upwind.

If you had it too far upwind the kite would not have launched by itself and fly to 12 noon

So it had to be too much downwind in relation to wind direction and anchor location

Too far upwind the kite would just luff and fall over...down on it's leading edge

:cheers:[/quote]

What? Too far upwind and the kite falls back. Too far downwind and the kite shoots forward possibly falling on its LE. If he let go of the kite during a gust or just before a slight wind shift, the kite would fall back possibly causing it to hot launch. The reason it may fall forward onto its LE would be light winds, gusty conditions, not enough air in the kite or to much depower on the bar.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:10 pm

noel wrote: What? Too far upwind and the kite falls back.
I believe i wrote falls over and down on it's LE.....did not say kite falls back

Placing a kite on it's wingtip too upwind means the wind will push on the outside of the canopy

....and the kite will go over...pushed down by the wind...and that is not what he did

As we recall the wind speed during his incident was @15 mph

He just had his kite balancing on wingtip way too downwind of the sweet spot....that's why it took off

Return to “Kitesurfing”