Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabrinha I feel disappointed and fooled switchblade 2014

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Cabrinha I feel disappointed and fooled switchblade 2

Postby matth » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:54 pm

I buy most of my stuff local. If I do buy something online its only after I HAVE SPOKE WITH SOMEONE IN THE SHOP. If they do not answer their phones I will move on to someone that does. This is true of anything I buy online, not just kiting gear.

I am in retail myself and know there are a lot of internet retailers that are only drop shippers and know nothing about the product they sell.

donohu90
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ocean City, NJ
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade, Vector, Custom
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby donohu90 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:56 pm

I thought it was no secret that the 2013 Cabrinha kites have a less low end, but better turning speed and lighter bar pressure than the 2012 and now 2014 kites. I seem to remember them being advertised that way.

heinzbush
Medium Poster

Postby heinzbush » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:34 pm

OceanAdventures wrote:That's like being upset with the horsepower of a car, using it for 5 months, then asking the dealer to trade if for a new 2014 model. If you didn't like the kite you should have traded it in on the spot.
I also thought about that analogy :)

This has nothing to do with Cab, but with kites in general: unfortunately they dont come with a objectively standardised measurement for their performance capabilities.. You just get a 8/10 rating for example which gives you a relative performance to kites from the same manufacturer, maybe even only valid for a production year..

I really think the industry should come up with "innovative" and standardised ways to measure performance... e.g. like tear strength of canopy material... maybe in windtunnels tests could be "standardised", e.g. X kg of pull in 18knots,, X kg of pull after release in Y knots, turning speed, etc..... probably expensive, not feasible, etc... but someday! And the magazines are starting it actually!

wetdog
Medium Poster

Postby wetdog » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:39 pm

Or you can just test the kite before you buy it....

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:26 pm

wetdog wrote:Or you can just test the kite before you buy it....
That is a lot harder to do then it is to say... especially on current year models as not many people will have them. Not everyone lives in a place where testing kites is an option. the closest shop to me is 2 hours away and they will not be letting me take a kite for a week to "test" it out.
It took me years to test enough kites before I finally purchased my first full replacement quiver and I in that case I did actually have a week to test them out (thanks Dimitri)

I'm not saying the guy is right by demanding a replacement kite but if they offered to exchange it while he was trying to go through the instructions to fix it then they should be exchanging it. Sounds to me that someone said what he needed to hear to shut him up and now he is back mad as ever....

hausmex
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Puerto vallarta
Favorite Beaches: Bucerias
Style: freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha kite and my shaped boards

Postby hausmex » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:21 am

OceanAdventures wrote:
hausmex wrote:
OceanAdventures wrote:So, it looks like you where happy with the kite except for the low end, as you rated it very high on everything else, which any shop would have told you the low end was less on the 2013.

I'm not sure how you can judge the low end if your flying the kite in 23 knots.

Here is my question, when you rode the kite and you were unhappy with it, did you immediately try to return it to where you bought it?

This is what should have happened I believe. Once you flew the kite and didn't like it you should have been able to return it for store credit, and then purchase something else or wait to use it on the next year model.

Why did you hang onto the kite until now if you didn't like it? This should have been solved in May. As a shop I wouldn't trade a 2013 for a 2014 after you have had it for 5 months. The Shop would take a huge loss considering the 2013's are 25% off now brand new, and your giving the shop a used kite that is worth decidedly less. Did you only use it once or have you used it for the summer season?

I will agree that yes it was not right last year to ask customers to change the kite settings out of the box. But I have ridden the 9m Switchblade, and I weight 140lbs, and I honestly had no issues with the lack of power, and I have ridden that kite as low as 16mph, which for a 9m is not bad.

The only size that we really noticed the lack of power was the 14m.

The kite was tested on different wind conditions from 15 to 23 knots , I Immediately report to the store , and they reported to the Cabrinha Team , First , they told me to try this ans that .... Then they say there is no way to change this unless I wait for the 2014 Switchblade .. BS .... Now they do not want exchange the kite !!!!

The fact cab has factory videos instructing people to do this openly admits that they screwed up in the QC
Your issue is with your local shop sir, not Cabrinha. Having not good low end is not a problem with the kite, its a function of the design. People wanted lighter bar pressure, and unfortunately that design took away from the kites low end. The video fix was a was to get a little more power out of the kite. Many people use this kite with no issues and without tweaking anything. There is nothing wrong with your kite. Its a 2013 Switchblade. I agree that I wouldn't straight exchange a 2013 for a new 2014. That's like being upset with the horsepower of a car, using it for 5 months, then asking the dealer to trade if for a new 2014 model. If you didn't like the kite you should have traded it in on the spot.
Sir you are totally wrong , the video fix is not just go get " a little more power out of the kite " Whit out it the kite has no power and with poor stability in the low end of the range . Also I storage and unused the kite for the rest of the season so I do not understand you Horsepower car comparative . Pleas read carefully miry post

The fact Cabrinha has factory videos instructing people to do this openly admits that some one screwed up in the QC dept. Its not acceptable modify a new kite out of the box

hausmex
Rare Poster

Postby hausmex » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:25 am

Laughingman wrote:
wetdog wrote:Or you can just test the kite before you buy it....
I'm not saying the guy is right by demanding a replacement kite but if they offered to exchange it while he was trying to go through the instructions to fix it then they should be exchanging it. Sounds to me that someone said what he needed to hear to shut him up and now he is back mad as ever....

Laughingman as your post said is exactly what happen to me , that's way y fell. Fooled. By this brand !!!

hausmex
Rare Poster

Postby hausmex » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:33 am

Jdude wrote:Did you test the kite before buying it ?
As I said :

The kite was tested on different wind conditions from 15 to 23 knots , I'm not a beginner , I bought 3 SB Before the 2013 SB.

I Immediately report to the store , and they reported to the Cabrinha Team , first deny the problem then , they told me to try this ans that .... Then they say there is no way to change this unless I wait for the 2014 Switchblade ,.... The fact Cabrinha has factory videos instructing people to do this openly admits that they screwed up in the QC

Then after 5 months And several emails over the last 2 months with no answer because they where out on tour showing the new 2014 gear ,

I have no Exchanged kite And no date or intention for it .

Trickyh
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha / Nobile

Postby Trickyh » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:55 pm

Meh, 4 pages of whining.... just mtfu and get over it. :thumb:

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:14 pm

yea, to be fair you bought the kite, i would be more pissed at the shop thou, cabrinha flopped on the 13' but they wont admit it..... A good shop however would have taken the kite back after one use at least for a fee and given you a credit towards another kite or some type of compromise, perhaps sold the kite for you. There is always a market for switchblade's, even the powerless 13's.

if not tie a knot in the rear pig tail and never buy a cabrinha again, theres plenty of other kite brands

Return to “Kitesurfing”