How to improve your pop

Forum for kitesurfers
bc-sf
Medium Poster
Gear: naish parks, xride tt, slingshot celeritas
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How to improve your pop

Postby bc-sf » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:07 am

So ignoring the flap and back to the OP question...

I have the same problem. Regular footed, left foot forward (for me) jumps work fine enough, but my goofy foot jumps (right foot forward) are laughably retarded (get over the semiotics please!). It all feels backwards and inside out as i'm trying to launch.

I like Westozzy's recommendation to stomp harder with your back leg.

For practice/exercise during no wind this off season i'm doing standing jumps pushing off more with the left leg (right leg leaves ground first). That should help build up my weak inferior knee/leg muscles. However, the motion of the head/shoulders is also important to the flow... re-imagine where your body goes when jumping regular, and try to visualize the mirror image for goofy.
For me, it seems to be a slight flick of the neck from sideways down the shoulder the moment i push off with my back leg to about 15degrees forward.

One more thing i've noticed myself doing- my back gets stiffer/robotic on a goofy footed jump. That usually has something to do with the direction of my hips.

Long winded, but visualize it and do some basic jumping exercises on land. No need to wait until it counts on the water.

you're not alone

Air_Pharaoh
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ras Sedr, Red Sea
Favorite Beaches: To be decided
Gear: F-One Bandit Kites
Mystic Harness
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Air_Pharaoh » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:46 am

Thanks for those with helpful answers.

I do not have previous board experience.

@bc-sf: Yea the season just ended, so I guess I want to some exercises in the gym (we don't have cable parks here). So is it more of a jump squat with one leg?

Also I heard, not sure if this is true, that some people practice their pop on the trampoline??

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:14 am

Flat water, I have no problems either way but when the chop or waves are up, it all depends on the angles of wind and waves.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:15 am

I think some people use trampolines to practice their tricks, not popping itself...

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:19 pm

Good crossover sports for practicing, wake boarding , snow boarding, land boarding. Cable parks are great if you have access to one.

20 m or bust
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dalrock, Ray Roberts
Favorite Beaches: Mustang Island, Stink Beach
Style: Free ride
Gear: Waroos
Stretch board

Postby 20 m or bust » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:37 am

I am one of those old guys who thinks he's hanggliding. I can pop both ways, my problem comes when trying to use the kite to boost in my weak direction. I just can't seem to fly the kite in the right position. I'll keep practicing unless I pass away or my hangglider breaks...

bc-sf
Medium Poster
Gear: naish parks, xride tt, slingshot celeritas

Postby bc-sf » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:47 am

Just making exercises more searchable...

http://www.kiteboardingexercises.com/in ... Itemid=181

One thing i've done that seems to help is set up a bar on a rope (bar about shoulder height). With that I do 'jumping pull ups'. The bar helps visualize, and gives an extra workout on the core muscles with the pull up.

+1 for crossover boardsports.

Now if the non-windy season would just hurry up and make snow!

TPink
Medium Poster

Postby TPink » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:25 am

matth wrote:Good crossover sports for practicing, wake boarding , snow boarding, land boarding. Cable parks are great if you have access to one.
+ 1 on the crossovers, my first board was a cheapo double tail plastic skateboard, i was probably 5. But still, at 48, I'll grab my skateboard and work on ollie's, reg & switch in the driveway. also work on switching my feet on the board to simulate tacks n jibes on a surfboard.

snowboarding is great for working your switch stance, can do jumps and ollies all day long.

Return to “Kitesurfing”