Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Attention Pat Love Harness Users: Potential QR Danger

Postby Toby » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:38 am

My Pat Love harness has one of the newer spreader bars with a chickenloop lock:
1 pl 1.png
1 pl 1.png (387.77 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
After landing my kite today I wanted to release my QR to be safe (North Bar 2012)
I found the end of my chicken loop stuck in the hook of the spreader bar!
Luckily I didn't have a bad situation...
1 pl 2.jpeg
1 pl 2.jpeg (119.01 KiB) Viewed 2754 times
1 pl 3.jpeg
1 pl 3.jpeg (80.36 KiB) Viewed 2754 times
I am not sure if this will also happen in a situation when the kite is under full load...but for sure I don't want to test that!

Be aware of this eventual problem. Safest is to not use a spreader bar with the chickenloop lock that comes with Pat Love harnesses.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Attention Pat Love Harness Users: Potential QR Danger

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:06 am

Interesting, i remember when the north QR fitted exactly into a dakine spreader bar a few years ago rendering it useless!

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:42 am

I have to be honest here, I think this post is unfairly titled against the Pat Love Harness which seems to be working as designed. You should title the post;
  • "Attention North Bar 2012 Users: Potential QR Danger
    The large hardened end of your chicken loop is likely to get jammed in some spreader bars."
I'm not trying to be a wise-ass here either... The free end of a chicken loop, when released, should be as smooth as possible. Many CLs are slightly larger at the end, but that North one seems a bit excessive. What does the 2014 loop end look like?

Safety warnings on this forum carry a lot of weight in future product searches that people will do. Is this spreader bar really at fault?

I do think it is a good warning to bring up, though. I'll certainly double check my slingshot CL and see if there are situations where it could jam in my spreader bar.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby William Munney » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:00 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:I have to be honest here, I think this post is unfairly titled against the Pat Love Harness which seems to be working as designed. You should title the post;
  • "Attention North Bar 2012 Users: Potential QR Danger
    The large hardened end of your chicken loop is likely to get jammed in some spreader bars."
I'm not trying to be a wise-ass here either... The free end of a chicken loop, when released, should be as smooth as possible. Many CLs are slightly larger at the end, but that North one seems a bit excessive. What does the 2014 loop end look like?

Safety warnings on this forum carry a lot of weight in future product searches that people will do. Is this spreader bar really at fault?

I do think it is a good warning to bring up, though. I'll certainly double check my slingshot CL and see if there are situations where it could jam in my spreader bar.
If you're manufacturing spreader bars, testing them with one of the most popular CL's might be advisable.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:33 pm

are there other spreader bars with a similar chickenloop lock?

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:27 pm

Toby wrote:are there other spreader bars with a similar chickenloop lock?
The new Mystic KRS Safety spreader bar and the old Slingshot Surefire spreader bar. Probably others we're forgetting.

I do see what you mean from looking at the pictures again, though. The space between the lock and hook may be too small.

I still think if the chicken loop can move around in there, which it does, the CL end shouldn't be that big. Unless large CL ends are the norm, than it is an incompatibility issue between this harness and North's CL. It happens. With all the designers at all the different companies, everything is not going to always work well together.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby L0KI » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:23 pm

If North made the wire bale at the end of the loop out of a thinner gauge material, they may snap like some of the Slingshots tend to do.
But I agree with Toby, I would cut that lock piece off the Pat Love hook right away.
The ends of many chicken loops have something that may get caught up in that lock piece.

Return to “Kitesurfing”