Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Advice about Naish Ride

Postby Thor SFBay » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:08 pm

I don't think weight has anything to do with it - just get a bigger kite. I weigh around 190 lbs and my main kite is a 12 where the majority of riders are on 10s and 11s. But there are a couple guys well over 200 lbs who ride 14s. And when I pull out the 9, they are on 11s.

So really, you can buy pretty much any freeride kite and you will be fine. I'd stay away from C-kites and 5 line kites (like the Naish Torch) but otherwise, it really doesn't matter very much.

But one thing I think you should consider is that you should probably buy your first kites used. They are going to take a beating. So in that case, you should also consider the Bolt and the Cult as well. Both of which would be a little more beginner friendly than the Park. Supposedly the newer Parks have more low end, but the first version in 2011 definitely is lacking in that department.

mdksniper
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach Island, NJ
Gear: Naish Rides, BRM Cloud 17, Litewave kiteboards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Advice about Naish Ride

Postby mdksniper » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:36 pm

Just get the Ride. I really don't believe that rider weight is an issue. Like I said, I'm 210 pounds and the 12m is my main kite from 18-22 mph. The 2013 12m Ride brand new is dirt cheap, only 600 bucks right now. If you don't like it, which will probably not be the case, then just sell it. You can probably recoup most of your money back on it. You can also find the 2013 Naish ATB Universal bar for 199.

You won't regret it. Even if you have trouble with the kite, which I never have, then you will probably become a better kiter from learning to deal with these problems.

Return to “Kitesurfing”