All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Islamorada in Decemebr
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:47 pm 
Medium Poster

Anyone going to be around? I will be in Islamorada for 3 weeks in December and would love to get a few sessions. Talked to Otherside Boardsports and hope to take a boat ride out to the flats if the wind cooperates. Any local tips on knowledge?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Islamorada in Decemebr
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:33 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Of course the wind direction will dictate where we tend to ride but here is a few ideas. There are plenty of spots to ride off a boat with miles of flats but the main spots are as follows. If the winds are NW we tend to hit the Cotton Key flats. A cool little sandbar with chop on one side and butter on the other. Most of the flat is about waist deep and a mix of sand and grass bottom. On a N wind we tend to hit the otherside sandbar. This is everyones favorite spot to ride as it is @ 3/4 mile long and butter flat. The bottom is the same as Cotton Key but also gets a bit mushy on the downwind side. Off land. For both directions is Founders Park. It's a town park and cost @ $5 to get in for non locals. The beach is small and a little sketchy for beginners as you are tucked into a cove. A few short tacks and you are in open water with a few small flats but mostly chop hop.

On NE wind there is Whale Harbor. $10 per day to launch. (sometimes) Huge open flats from ankle to waist deep. Also the starting point for a 5 to 10 mile downwinder. Epic! Most of us only do it on an E wind but you can do it on an E - SE wind. We also do most lessons and some off the best riding is at the Moorings sandbar. Huge sandbar but unless you are staying at Cheeca or The Mooring, a boat ride or downwinder are the only options. Good in NE - SW unless you are down winding. Then NE doesn't work. Last but not least is Anne's Beach. Free town park with flats near shore. Works on an E - SW. Limited parking and can get crowded with a very small beach.

There are tons of other spots throughout the keys but that would take me forever. Key west is @ 80 miles south. If there is no wind at anytime, there is always Keys Cable cable park. Plenty of other things to do.

Noel
oTHEerside Boardsports
www.othersideboardsports.com
www.keyscable.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:41 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Do you get a lot of north wind down there this part of the season Noel? I think I've actually only been in the later parts of the season, mostly SE wind up this way. I've never really looked at what it does in the keys.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:42 am 
Medium Poster

thanks noel. i've emailed with someone at your shop. i'll be in touch before I head that way. do you run the cable park also?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:26 am 
Very Frequent Poster

dyyylan wrote:
Do you get a lot of north wind down there this part of the season Noel? I think I've actually only been in the later parts of the season, mostly SE wind up this way. I've never really looked at what it does in the keys.

Honestly we get about the same direction at the same time as you in Boca. The difference is that our side shore wind is east as yours is north. All the beaches here face SE and S. Wind speed is usually but not always 5-8 mph more here as it is in your area in the winter but you guys get a seabreeze in the summer as we do not.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:31 am 
Very Frequent Poster

tucker wrote:
thanks noel. i've emailed with someone at your shop. i'll be in touch before I head that way. do you run the cable park also?

I don't run the cable park but I do work there. I believe the short story is on the website.

www.keyscable.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:45 am 
Medium Poster

Going to be NNE winds this Thurs through next Tuesday if the forecast holds. Should be some epic wind between 20 - 25 kts. gusting to 30 on Thurs and Fri.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:29 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Yes! Thursday and Friday show NNE at 25-30 gusting to 35. Chance of rain is high for Thursday but only 30% on Friday and less after that. Saturday thru at least Wednesday are showing a solid 20 knots everyday. Hoping it turn more easterly.

What a great way to start the season!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:50 am 
Rare Poster

where in islamorada can you kite on a NNE?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:24 am 
Very Frequent Poster

jonesey wrote:
where in islamorada can you kite on a NNE?

Thanks!

Whale Harbor is doable but gusty. Founders Park @ mm 86 is good on a NW-N. Tight launch and a couple of short tacks upwind and it's all open after that. Haveing a boat is a plus.

Check with Otherside or 7 sports for boat ride info and availlability to the flats or a sandbar.

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next