Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ideal kite for these conditions?

Postby SSK » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:46 am

What is your real question. Are you visiting SPI or living there? It is a pretty windy place, I doubt many people ride/own a 15-17. I bet the biggest kite most people ride there at 160 is a 12. You can probably get away with an 11 and a big board. I am heavier and I think my quiver would be a 7,9,12 for SPI and cover most days.

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:46 am

I'm going there; but the wind is kinda light at the moment. I have an 11m Switchblade(2012).

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.
Been thanked: 0

Postby DrLightWind » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:01 am

There is no question about it, go big 16m + :!:
I'm only 130 lbs and using the 21m Flysurfer because I like boosting high
with a good hangtime in the same light wind range what you have :idea:
Anything over 16 - 18 mph it becomes a glider and you sh!t :lol:

DrLW

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:40 am

If you are just going to visit, there is no reason to buy a kite.
SPI has lot's of great wind, and SSK is right, many people that live there get by with one 11M or 12M kite, or a two kite quiver of 8/11 9/12 or even 7/10.
I thought you lived there and wanted something for the lightest days.
Where do you normally live/kite?

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
SPI

Postby rtz » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:50 am

In Oklahoma on lake Hefner. But I don't get to kite much here.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:56 am

Then maybe a big kite would help you get more sessions.
Buy a used big kite for cheap, they often have little wear and tear.
My list is a good place to start.

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
SPI

Postby rtz » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:20 am

I guess what I originally meant to say was because of the 14mph wind conditions; it was preventing me from going. If I had a bigger kite; I could attempt to use it here. Also; in Florida this winter.

I don't have any experience with light wind riding or big kites so I didn't want to get too much or too little kite and not have it work out. Example: sinking with a 14 or getting blown away with a 17.

I can look at wind charts all day but they all suggest the kite being "useable" in a huge range. I might just go and rent a big kite and go from there.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:37 am

Beauty with the 2013 zephyr (please note the date, before this the bar pressure got way to much in the higher winds) is it can handle the wind really well when it picks up.

Just got out of the water. One guy on a 12m dice and a light wind TT (crazy fly 145 by 48) a little on the light side but enough to chuck down his stuff. He is 85kg.

I am only 75kg and was also on a light wind TT (crazy fly cruiser pro, 145 by 44) and powered on the shortest knot (back lines as short as the settings allow).

Wind kicked right in (was an unpredictable Easterely), he changed down to his nobile NHP 134 but I didn't bring my laluz as I the charts said it would drop, it did the opposite. He also had his 12m depowered some.

I was still able to ride with some depower on the zephyr although unhooking was a handful even fully depowered. But hooked it, just lit and smiling.

My bro was also on the zephyr at 82kg on a 136 raptor pro.

The edge DNA in the kites canopy allows you to really push it to the edge of the window to spill air if you need to and have the edging skills to.

If the wind had dropped I'd still be out, my mate on the 12m wouldn't. If it dropped further even my bro would be in. But on the cruiser and the zephyr I could still be out in 11 knots. Whatever that is in mph.

That's the thing, the zephyr is NOT a true light light wind kite. For that you want more aspect.

But it gives you an enormous range and as the wind picks up you just smile more. The canopy is so stable and the kite has gears allowing you to spill air gradually or use it to develop speed.

My favourite kite and its a 17m!!!!! Learn all your tricks on this puppy. Although I don't recommend back roll back loops when lit, got my ass spanked today. Also unhooked rally's etc you want the wind a little lower than today unless you change the knots down at the bar end. Even at 75kg I have had it out in 20 knots and been fine. More pies and you could easily go higher.

Terribly important when riding on summer easterlies or winter westerlys. Peace of mind. Below 11/12 knots I'd rather watch paint dry anyway. Not enough power in the wind unless you like pointing on a race board, but hey as I said I'd rather watch paint dry.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:49 pm

I'm going there; but the wind is kinda light at the moment. I have an 11m Switchblade(2012)
The forecast you posted would be a very light period for SPI. If you look at it now I think you would be more worried that you have a small enough kite. If you are taking something like a 9 and 11 that should cover you well. You could rent a light wind board if needed. That 2012 SB has good range. If I was going to SPI the max I would bring would be a 12. If I could not fly that then I am drinking magaritas, eating Mexican food, laying on the beach, surfing, or going redfishing.
I do not know the conditions of your lake or where you go in Florida, so that is a different question.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:57 pm

15-17 I would suggest.
The bigger the more fun...and the easier to do tricks!
Just be cautious when launching and landing, but basic safety rules apply.
then you are off for greatest fun !!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”