Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Nov/Dec/Jan caribbean/central-america recommendations

Forum for kitesurfers
waterlooalex
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Near Long point (Lake Erie), Kettle point, Grand Bend and Oliphant (Lake Huron)
Favorite Beaches: Guajiru, Brazil
Gear: Best Kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nov/Dec/Jan caribbean/central-america recommendations

Postby waterlooalex » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:49 am

I'm in Canada, flying out of Toronto, looking for a good spot for some kite surfing for a 7-9 day trip, where do you recommend?

Criteria:
- Consistent wind
- Beginner friendly
- Would love flat and shallow water
- Night life is not important
- Reasonably cheap/easy to get to (e.g. 8 hours or less flight, direct if possible)

I'm checking out:
1. Cuba (Playa Santa Lucia, Cayo Guillermo)
2. Costa Rica - Bahia Salinas (I hear its gusty?)

Thanks, Alex

Miltsface
Frequent Poster

Re: Nov/Dec/Jan caribbean/central-america recommendations

Postby Miltsface » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:15 pm

Bahia salinas is not shallow, but it's flat/chop (no waves) and consistently strong (5-7m kite) winds in dec/jan. Nov is a little more iffy. I didn't think it was gusty, but I guess it depends on what you're used to. pm if you'd like the lowdown on where to stay, etc.

Oldpeople
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno

Postby Oldpeople » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:29 pm

i've spent the last two winters in San Andres colombia. its a small island off the coast of nicaragua.
fantastic place for kiting. air temp 85 degrees, water temp 85 degrees. a great kiting area with very flat water inside an inside reef. on shore winds so if you have a problem you can drift/float back to the beach. winds are generally good. mid december on. I am 75 kilos and use a 12 about half the time and a 16m the other half, but a lot of people are using smaller kites. but winds are a bit lighter here than further east.
I think this is the best place i've ever been for learning and improving. other than about christmass to the first week in january it is never crowded. 80 per cent of the time there are only one or two kiters out. let me know if you need more info

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Postby whabbits » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:23 pm

I really like Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica.

Bring your 5m if you go :) There's some flat water to be had but it is mostly chop.

There's 3 schools operating there so it is beginner friendly to a certain extent but when it's above 30knots, it's not the best for lessons!

For the "gusty" reports of Costa Rica. I never experience "punch" gusts but it was certainly up and down. So while you were riding you would have a lot of depower pulled at times and then fully powered at other points of the session. Again it was not the violent punch gusts that you get say during a storm or like in some places.

I would say that it is far less gusty than say the event site at Hood River, OR.

waterlooalex
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Near Long point (Lake Erie), Kettle point, Grand Bend and Oliphant (Lake Huron)

Postby waterlooalex » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:38 pm

Oldpeople wrote:i've spent the last two winters in San Andres colombia. its a small island off the coast of nicaragua.
Sounds pretty sweet - what time of the year is good for wind, and are there any kite schools there? Also, is it hard to get to?

waterlooalex
Rare Poster

Postby waterlooalex » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:39 pm

whabbits wrote:I really like Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica.

Bring your 5m if you go :) There's some flat water to be had but it is mostly chop. .
Holy shit thats a lot of wind. I'm thinking of going in Nov just to get lower wind speeds :) Your comments about the gustying are reassuring.

exuma kitesurfing
Medium Poster

Postby exuma kitesurfing » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:53 pm

try exuma bahamas ... direct flight from toronto to george town, exuma or nassau, then on to exuma - a 30 minute flight.
the EK kitebeach is perfect for learning to kiteboard and improving your skill - the kitebeach is reef protected, waist deep, crystal clear, sandy bottom water, predominant side-onshore consistent winds (not gusty), and no crowds. the beaches here in exuma are stunning!
if you click the video link on the bottom left of the EK website, the back half of the video is a lesson at the EK kitebeach.
http://www.exumakitesurfing.com/index.php

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:15 am

waterlooalex wrote:
whabbits wrote:I really like Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica.

Bring your 5m if you go :) There's some flat water to be had but it is mostly chop. .
Holy shit thats a lot of wind. I'm thinking of going in Nov just to get lower wind speeds :) Your comments about the gustying are reassuring.

Direct Flights to Liberia are the best way , In feb this year AC and Sunwing had direct ex Toronto, perhaps Transat too. Transfer was $90 each way (last 20mins on dirt road) we had the guys at
kiteboardingcostaria come pick us up, and that seemed like the best deal.
I was there 1st week of Feb this year and it blew all week (30 C, no humidity, no mozzies)
I'm 178lbs and rode a 9m every day except one when it was close to 30k and I used my 7m. It's not flat water like CH Soundside or SPI by any means, but the schools there do teach and if you learn in Bahia Salinas you'll not be phased by choppy conditions elsewhere. .. PM me if you want more info. I'd certainly go back.

Oldpeople
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno

Postby Oldpeople » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:14 pm

About San Andres
it is a great place. there is one kite school there. its run by great guys and they do a good job with lessons. one on one. usually with instructor on jet ski. they can start you up wind and then take you back up wind if you need it.
to get there usually fly to bogota and then a flight from there to san andres. COPA has a flight that goes to panama city and then connects to one of their flight to san andres. its an easy way to go. last year there were a bunch on canadians with a direct flight from montreal and a package with a resort next to the kite boarding beach.
For wind I would pick january. start after the 7th when the tourist holiday is over.

flyingdutchman1978
Rare Poster
Local Beach: St. Catharines
Gear: 2010 9M Waroo
2010 13.5M Kahoona V2

Postby flyingdutchman1978 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:58 am

If you're thinking Colombia, check out Lago Calima.

http://kitecolombia.com/

Return to “Kitesurfing”