Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot compstick users...

Postby sijandy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:57 am

windrt wrote:
sijandy wrote:
windrt wrote:that`s the way I ride it

Na I meant for unhooked riding - that would be no good cos it would flag out everytime.
Usefull picture tho... what i meant was same as the pic above but around the CL aswell. Not only does having round the css ring mean you have extra safety but the pull from the lines on the css ring keeps your leash pinned up the top of the CL. The issue i'm having is getting the caribiner around both on the old bar.

Nop, it won't. :thumb:
my bad...didn't realise CL went through the red handle. Not thought of doing it like that.

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:20 am

bnthere wrote:there's another one

a person can do whatever they want, but just to throw it out there: there is really no point to rigging suicide/depower style as apposed to onto the leash system so the kite flags out, unless you are in a situation where you need the fastest possible relaunch or possible no kite crash and bar recovery after you lose the bar. and the only two situations like that are contest and wave riding. and y'all aint doing the first one, and your probably not talking about the second one. its not a big deal to let it disable and reset it, plus it will save a shit load of wear on your kite because it wont be slamming into the water every time you blow a move, it will float down with the least force possible. after splitting 2 or 3 kites trying to learn to land blind you'll figure it out.

people that rig suicide and keep the donkey dick on their bar can't be trusted. its one or the other man.

Sorry your not making any sense. The setup above is as good as it gets and allows you the choice. Why would i want my kite to flag out every time i missed the bar? Also leave the donkey dick on as it helps at times.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:27 am

Because my bars are old the trim needs a good tug to release from the cleat and if i don't have the donkey dick in it simply unhooks! Flagging out everytime you drop the bar sounds like a pain in the a*** and totally unecassary.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:05 pm

suicide/depower setup: wrap a steering line around your bar end while passing the bar and get drug by powered kiteloops after your bail, and try climbing your leash to get to the bar and fix it. its not so easy, even for me. happens fairly often. leash to the kill line and no issue.

also the kite slamming is the other thing. a depowered kite coming straight down with the resistance from your body being underwater because you bailed, hits hard. a flagged out kite virtually no impact.

it only takes 30 seconds to reset a flagged out kite.

these posts arent necessarily directed at you or anyone in particular and im not exactly trying to say "right or wrong", i just take these opportunities to post truthful and safety oriented advise for people possibly reading that may not know better and not realize the inherent differences in the way things can be done in kiteboarding.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:59 pm

sijandy wrote:
windrt wrote:that`s the way I ride it

Na I meant for unhooked riding - that would be no good cos it would flag out everytime.
Usefull picture tho... what i meant was same as the pic above but around the CL aswell. Not only does having round the css ring mean you have extra safety but the pull from the lines on the css ring keeps your leash pinned up the top of the CL. The issue i'm having is getting the caribiner around both on the old bar.
He does have it around the CL as well. You just can't see it in the photo.

This looks like it'd work pretty well, but I wish they'd just left the loop in place where the donkey dick attaches. I don't ride suicide that often, but it is nice to hook it "suicide" when you are practicing unhooked, but then go back to the standard flag out ring the rest of the time.

Has anyone that hooks as shown in the picture (CL through red handle) deployed the CL release to test it? Does the CL slide clean through that red handle and flag the kite out? It isn't clear if the release could catch on something and make it a mandatory suicide whether you like it or not...

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:45 pm

stop making this so complicated, if you liked it better the other way just put an extra pigtail or small piece of rope thru the old spot you liked and hook to that when you want to ride suicide

or not...

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:29 am

knotwindy wrote:stop making this so complicated, if you liked it better the other way just put an extra pigtail or small piece of rope thru the old spot you liked and hook to that when you want to ride suicide

or not...
:thumb:

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:38 am

bnthere wrote:suicide/depower setup: wrap a steering line around your bar end while passing the bar and get drug by powered kiteloops after your bail, and try climbing your leash to get to the bar and fix it. its not so easy, even for me. happens fairly often. leash to the kill line and no issue.
Not had to deal with that one yet... sounds like a laugh :(
bnthere wrote: also the kite slamming is the other thing. a depowered kite coming straight down with the resistance from your body being underwater because you bailed, hits hard. a flagged out kite virtually no impact.

it only takes 30 seconds to reset a flagged out kite.

these posts arent necessarily directed at you or anyone in particular and im not exactly trying to say "right or wrong", i just take these opportunities to post truthful and safety oriented advise for people possibly reading that may not know better and not realize the inherent differences in the way things can be done in kiteboarding.
I guess that'd be okay if you just doing tricks your comfortable with but when your trying to nail down a new trick and your crashing your kite everytime i reckon you soon get fed up with it flagging evrytime. Plus more insentive to get it right and land it as the crashes hurt more :)

windrt
Medium Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Kite + Board + rest of stuff you normally use.

Postby windrt » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:26 pm

No issues while rejecting with the red Oshit strap around the chicken, jumps out instantly.
When you miss a trick on suicide mode, the kite will stay in the air, and most of the cases you will cach the bar back before it crashes.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:48 am

windrt wrote:No issues while rejecting with the red Oshit strap around the chicken, jumps out instantly.
When you miss a trick on suicide mode, the kite will stay in the air, and most of the cases you will cach the bar back before it crashes.

im calling bs on this. the most classic one for a brutal kite slam is any blind landing. blow that and you are highly likely to be slamming your kite straight down. everyone that has blind landings knows that.

y'all can do whatever you want, i was just pointing out that suicide/depower leashing has some annoying drawbacks, which actually pretty heavily outweigh the 30 seconds it takes to reset a flagged out kite. if your not contest riding, 30 seconds is not really a big deal to reduce your personal risk of having to leash-releash and ditch your kite, wear out your kite faster through hard slams, and i dont think i mentioned stretch the shit out of your leash yet, which definitely happens. your call.

Return to “Kitesurfing”