All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Ocean rodeo line setup
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:40 pm 
Frequent Poster

Just a question regarding the setup for an Ocean rodeo bar and lines.

I am after the distance that the Y split is from the bar Probably the length of the mini 5th line?

Can not seem to find this info anywhere.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Ocean rodeo line setup
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:45 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

The most recent Freeride bar? I posted the info up here somewhere...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:13 pm 
Frequent Poster

Kamikuza wrote:
The most recent Freeride bar? I posted the info up here somewhere...

would really appreciate the info posted again. Can not seem to find it anywhere.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:55 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Helps if you know the keywords... I'm struggling to find a post about custom lines on eBay from a trusted seller but can't find it now :-?

For the OR Freeride bar aka "below the bar" on the new webiste: from the top of the CL to the pulley is 2.8m.

The previous webpage had the 3 bars - two below the bar trim and the one above the bar. The Freeride uses the really long depower rope as the safey line, the other below the bar trim bar used the same setup plus a mini-5th to the swivel... I think. Can't remember the above the bar (Freestyle bar?) at all.

If you're doing a DIY mini-5th replacement, use at least 2.8m... if you've already got the bar, the steering leaders are as long as the depower rope so the lines are the same length - you could measure that...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:59 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Ok just looked at the photos of the new "below the bar" bar... looks to be a little different to the old one, but the mini-5th should be the same length...

Then again it could be completely different :o :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:24 pm 
Frequent Poster

Kamikuza wrote:
Ok just looked at the photos of the new "below the bar" bar... looks to be a little different to the old one, but the mini-5th should be the same length...

Then again it could be completely different :o :lol:

setting up an above bar depower. understand all that you have said :)

cheers . . .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:02 pm 
Frequent Poster

Hi guys, we took the opportunity with the launch of the new website to re-brand the bars for clarity. Here is the summary:

Above the Bar is an entirely new bar for us but is based on the old Freestyle.
Safety Bar is the old Freeride bar
Below the Bar is the old Fusion bar

For all 3 of these bars the Y starts at roughly 3m above the bar. The Above and Below options have a mini 5th line while the safety bar as trim line all the way up, allowing the option to simply let go of the bar to achieve full depower.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:07 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

So you guys are still using the same chickenloop without an integrated swivel/line untwister?
Does the mini 5th go to one center line or two?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:25 pm 
Frequent Poster

Laughingman wrote:
So you guys are still using the same chickenloop without an integrated swivel/line untwister?

Currently, yes. We aren't ruling out a change to a below the bar swivel on the Above The Bar design down the road but for now we don't offer that option.

The mini 5th takes down both front lines and lets the kite roll over, upside down directly down wind of the rider. There are a lot of debates on this topic and some very valid arguments in favour of a single front line re-ride. For us it came down to a couple things...

1) We feel that having the kite depower upside down directly down wind of you is preferable as it immediately flips the kite over upon eject. In single front line re-rides, if the kite is on the opposite side of the wind window from the side with the re-ride the kite must first be pulled through the window to the other side before de-powering

2) Without a legitimate below the bar swivel single front line re-rides can be very dangerous. This is because 100% of swivels will fail with time, regardless of design or quality, they will eventually seize. Or, put another way, as a company we need to assume they will seize with time and design our safety systems to work regardless of this eventual failure. If the swivel fails, there is a legit chance for the safety line to tangle on the swivel and cause the kite to not reliably de-power upon eject.

For both those reasons, we elected to go with our Direct De-Power system.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:07 pm 
Frequent Poster

ORSales wrote:
Laughingman wrote:

Currently, yes. We aren't ruling out a change to a below the bar swivel on the Above The Bar design down the road but for now we don't offer that option.

The mini 5th takes down both front lines and lets the kite roll over, upside down directly down wind of the rider. ….

2) Without a legitimate below the bar swivel single front line re-rides can be very dangerous. This is because 100% of swivels will fail with time, regardless of design or quality, they will eventually seize. Or, put another way, as a company we need to assume they will seize with time and design our safety systems to work regardless of this eventual failure. If the swivel fails, there is a legit chance for the safety line to tangle on the swivel and cause the kite to not reliably de-power upon eject.

For both those reasons, we elected to go with our Direct De-Power system.

I have only just purchased an almost new 2013 model 8m Razor (without a bar unfortunately).

So now I have set up a modified North system (great under bar swivel/chicken look safety) that includes a much lower Y than the North 4 line system.

I have little faith in swivels (from days gone by systems) and decided that in the end, it would be more clutter in an area near where the lines cross over during spins and not really needed (swivel under bar and spin both ways anyway)

I did contact OR for some info on the length of the mini 5th that would allow the correct working of the roll-over bridle but due to this crazy world of litigation, they declined to give me specific measurements as they could not guarantee the workings of my setup even if they did give me measurements (so they understandably have a policy of not supporting own bar creation)

I had initially set the mini 5th up for 2.6m with a swivel but after flying in light wind and some info above from Kamikuza (thanks) have changed it to almost 3m without a swivel. Proper testing still to come.

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next