Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Big Inflation Valve

Forum for kitesurfers
ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Re: Big Inflation Valve

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:14 am

Yep definitely what ozzy says plus when its nuking/freezing/raining and your in a hurry to pack up or traveling and squashing everything to minimum size, the cover would be protect the canopy..

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tiago1973 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:28 am

if someone loses the cover will have the plastic rubbing the tissue. i would consider adding a patch to the canopy

and give a look on ZigZag post on the Switch Lab thread, some interesting stuff

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:36 am

Good idea, but I have never lost one of those. Plastic cap, supply a replacement with another seal ozone do.

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:50 pm

Dimitri,

First I am glad if you are seriously looking for a Boston valve! If you use the model like on the previous pictures you need an adaptor that will screw on the valve to correctly inflate it. Otherwise the hose will not hold correctly. An adaptor like in this picture below :

But you can use a better valve that require no adaptor at all, the hose just connect directly to the valve and voila ! Works like a charm.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:48 pm

Séb wrote:But you can use a better valve that require no adaptor at all, the hose just connect directly to the valve and voila ! Works like a charm.

My vote's for this one. I don't see any more downside to it than any other, but without the need for another adapter (Cab) or chance to pop out (Ozone).

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:57 pm

Oh and if you use someday this kind of large Boston valve, REMOVE the old deflate valve! You don't need it anymore once you have the large inflate/deflate valve. Just one valve do it all!

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:26 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Séb wrote:But you can use a better valve that require no adaptor at all, the hose just connect directly to the valve and voila ! Works like a charm.

My vote's for this one. I don't see any more downside to it than any other, but without the need for another adapter (Cab) or chance to pop out (Ozone).
i vote for this one as well. been using it for a season and works great. and you can use any pump, no extra parts or problems. easy, fast, works...

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:12 pm

Once again you guys are great for all the info you have been giving me. Thank you so much.

On the other hand Séb, the reason I am keeping only the old "Inflate" valves (see attached picture) is for 2 reasons.

1) In case you don't have a pump with you on the beach and some one else has a pump but with not the same nozzle. Believe me I have had this happen to me so many times.
2) I like pumping my kites rock solid, but by doing so you are increasing the chances of blowing your Leading Edge of your kite if the kite hits the water full power few times. So instead of having my LE blow out, I rather have my "Inflate or Deflate" valve open. And this is the reason why I don't put the safety elastic around one of the valves. So it can pop open if the impact is tremendous. If you have just the Big Valve system the pressure will explode the LE or the Big Valve in order to escape.

So if I decide to go with the BIG VAVLE system I will always have and extra old "inflate" valve on the side for these 2 reasons I gave you.
Attachments
IMG_2566.jpg
photo 5.jpg

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:14 pm

Séb wrote:Dimitri,
But you can use a better valve that require no adaptor at all, the hose just connect directly to the valve and voila ! Works like a charm.

That would be the best one - universal and also removes 1 extra moving part that you dont need... less is more in this case :D

Also in the pic below, it has a lot of holes and stitching in one small area...

Wether or not you keep the other valve - move the strut inflate to the opposite side - to load spread the leading edge and centralize the new valve away from the zipper more... less being more strength in this case :D
Attachments
Neoprene cover.jpg
Neoprene cover.jpg (119.74 KiB) Viewed 1240 times

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:46 pm

Also in the pic below, it has a lot of holes and stitching in one small area...
Wether or not you keep the other valve - move the strut inflate to the opposite side - to load spread the leading edge and centralize the new valve away from the zipper more... less being more strength in this case :D
Great advice ShaveTheWhales. Thank you. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”