Frequent Poster
Gear: .......
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Big Inflation Valve

Postby windyway » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:03 am

In a 2011 thread, another kiter wrote:
Now I have a mixed quiver of kites, half of which are the "old" style with a small valve and another half got the big ones... Time and simplicity arguments aside, there's no way i'd be getting another kite without an over-sized valve... It's just so much easier to pump... And much faster to deflate...
----------------------------------------------------------------------

And three years later, several major brands still use tiny valves from the last century.
Seems they prefer to give us marketing bullshit, instead of actually improving the product.

All the pumping time and effort is due to the constriction at the small pump nozzle.
Sure would be nice to see a standardized big inflation valve.

Cabrinha was first to offer the big inflation valve about seven years ago.
Liquid Force joined in 2011.
Just saw as 2014 Best with a large screw type valve for 2014.

What other manufacturers are going big?
Attachments
Best Cabo twist_lock.jpg
Best Cabo twist_lock.jpg (51.24 KiB) Viewed 3108 times

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Big Inflation Valve

Postby zerogee_ca » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:19 am

Core - Speed Valve 1 and 2.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:58 am

Yeh north of course this year.

I fully agree though, although I have been shot down for saying so.

Pumping is the worst part of kiting, no-one enjoys it really. Not if you do it a lot like myself and the buddies i kite with.

It is seriously a major factor in my purchase decision as there are plenty of kites that do a similar thing out there. Well it is something I seriously consider.

No quick inflate, no buy from me. Sounds petty but read above sentence.

All kites should have a large flow valve now in my opinion.

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eldadgold » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:47 am

Pumping up a kite makes my back hurt for days so i use my Bravo BST. Keep it always in the car and charge it through the lighter socket.
Every time when i get to the beach people are jealous of me but for some reason never buy one for them selves...

RedStar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oulu

Postby RedStar » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:58 am

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:20 am

eldadgold wrote:Pumping up a kite makes my back hurt for days so i use my Bravo BST. Keep it always in the car and charge it through the lighter socket.
Every time when i get to the beach people are jealous of me but for some reason never buy one for them selves...

Well they can laugh at me soon as well, I'm getting one (but an island pump, Aussie made) soon.

Well actually they already have when I told them....don't mind, gotta know how to laugh at yourself I think. f*** it, of pumping up kites, done it for 14 seasons, and we kite a lot over here in WA, so f*** it, I'm getting one.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:15 pm

Westozzy wrote:
eldadgold wrote:Pumping up a kite makes my back hurt for days so i use my Bravo BST. Keep it always in the car and charge it through the lighter socket.

Well they can laugh at me soon as well, I'm getting one (but an island pump, Aussie made) soon.

Well actually they already have when I told them....don't mind, gotta know how to laugh at yourself I think. f*** it, of pumping up kites, done it for 14 seasons, and we kite a lot over here in WA, so f*** it, I'm getting one.
haha, I have one as well (since more than 5 years - still my first one and I'm on the water almost every day).
I bought a spare BST12 more than a year ago since I'm waiting for this one to break. But it doesn't. It pumps and pumps and pumps and......

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:24 pm

Westozzy wrote: Pumping is the worst part of kiting, no-one enjoys it really. Not if you do it a lot like myself and the buddies i kite with.

It is seriously a major factor in my purchase decision as there are plenty of kites that do a similar thing out there. Well it is something I seriously consider.

No quick inflate, no buy from me. Sounds petty but read above sentence.

All kites should have a large flow valve now in my opinion.
Perfectly agree with you, I do not buy anymore kites with old style small valve. And I do not understand why every compagnie in 2013/14 would not use a large inflate valve. Also, you just need one instead of two so 50% less risk of having to replace one, they are easier and faster to inflate so more time on the water. In the winter I use Flysurfer foil kite, I hate pumping in the summer so you can imagine on the snow at -15C how much I hate it!

jyetley
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Millacs MN, Pepin WI, Clear Lake IA
Favorite Beaches: Spring: Texas's Laguna Madre or Florida's Pan Handle.
Summer: Michigan's Western Shore
Fall: Upper Mississippi River
Winter: Utah's Wasatch or Wyoming's Teton Mountains.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone, Slingshot, Best

Postby jyetley » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:32 pm

After flying 2009 Ozone, 2010 Slingshot and 2011 Best kites all with small inflation valves, I then bought a new Switch Nitro V2 in 2012. Love the kite and the large inflation/deflation valve! I have bought two more Switch Kites since then. I would never consider buying any kite without a large inflation valve again.

Www.switchkites.com

Same should be said for separate deflation valves. There's simply no need for an additional failure location. Besides additional manufacturing costs. I can't believe that there are so many companies failing to revolutionize.
Last edited by jyetley on Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:50 pm

Unfortunately that Best one pictured is pure crap, slam your kite 2 times and the entire valve breaks in half. There's a reason they're sending 10-20 replacement parts with each kite :/

Return to “Kitesurfing”