Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Big Inflation Valve

Forum for kitesurfers
BlackAngels
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sunny Beach, Pomorie, Sarafovo....Bulgaria
Favorite Beaches: Viganj Croatia
Style: freestyle
Gear: RRD Obsession 13.5sm 2014 and Obsession 9sm 2012....Vision 13.5 2012 ex :-)))
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Big Inflation Valve

Postby BlackAngels » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:53 pm

RRD Obsession 2014 has single big valve :wink:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:04 pm

For sure all bigger kites (14+) should have those valves.
It is just sooooo much better to inflate the kites!

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:15 pm

5 years Cabrinha kites in all different sizes with those big valves and the only problem I had was when one of the threads stuffed up (it is plastic and can happen) and on another occasion a seal flew away which I glued on again and was perfectly fine afterwards.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:17 pm

I never had a single problem on the Cabrinha and Core high flow Boston type valve but I had many problems with the old type valves. Now, I do not buy a kite if it doesn't come with the Boston type valve. Like Toby said, for big kite this is a huge difference. Here we mostly have light wind so that mean pumping large kite most of the time. And there is no need to have more then one valve when you have the right type. Very fast to inflate and deflate and you can use any pump and use an electric pump which is also a PITA with conventional valve because the hose tend to pop out too easily and mostly because the air flow is not enough so the compressor engage much sooner so you can inflate usually just one kite while I can inflate 5-6 with the Boston type.

The best one IMO is the Cabrinha 2013/14 model.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:58 pm

darippah wrote:
plummet wrote:
But remember there is one downside to the big valve. Your kite goes down fast if the valve is not tight enough or you have sand in the valve!.
Thats a plus, Rather have my kite go down "fast" while still on the beach :)
Usually you find out within 3-5 mins if your have a leak flying.

You simply have to adopt a process when inflating.

Inspect.
blow off/remove and sand on the seal.
do up tight.

Sweeet as bro!

wedge
Frequent Poster

Postby wedge » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:12 am

The physicists and engineers out there can correct me if I'm wrong, but the amount of air you are moving inside the pump cylinder is exactly the same regardless of the nozzle size.

So a kite that takes 60 strokes to pump up with a small valve will still take 60 strokes with a large valve. May take less effort, but the same amount of pumping.

Right?

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:49 am

That's an easy one. Put a 2013 kite and a 2014 kite same brand down and same size and pump each one of them up. Assuming one has the Old small valves and then a New Bigger valve on the 2014 or whatever year.

See which one get s Full 1st and then tell me which one you would rather pump the next time.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:55 am

wedge wrote:The physicists and engineers out there can correct me if I'm wrong, but the amount of air you are moving inside the pump cylinder is exactly the same regardless of the nozzle size.

So a kite that takes 60 strokes to pump up with a small valve will still take 60 strokes with a large valve. May take less effort, but the same amount of pumping.

Right?

This may be true, but don't underestimate the 'effort' part. I suggest you try toesides empirical experiment with 17m as well. :lol:

On that, it takes about 60 good pumps for my zephyr, 50 and she has shape (wingtips out) and 10 to harden struts and about 10 or so to get it as hard a I need...give or take

I remember by 2012 rebel 11m used to take a good 100 to 110 pumps on the same size pump.

So your theory may not hold?
Last edited by Westozzy on Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rando1994
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tampa bay
Favorite Beaches: East beach at fort desoto
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone zephyr, ocean rodeo rise, mako king
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rando1994 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:56 am

I love the big inflation valves for deflating my kite. Inflation? Well, I have been using a BST for four years. I have my lines run out and attached while my kite is inflated to exactly the right pressure. I can be on the water faster than anybody. Why pump? I warm up on the water riding. And at 52 I don't need to show off my amazing pumping technique. I'll just ride sooner than most.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:10 am

Rando1994 wrote:I love the big inflation valves for deflating my kite. Inflation? Well, I have been using a BST for four years. I have my lines run out and attached while my kite is inflated to exactly the right pressure. I can be on the water faster than anybody. Why pump? I warm up on the water riding. And at 52 I don't need to show off my amazing pumping technique. I'll just ride sooner than most.

Rando why don't you leave your lines attached....when getting ready...as the kite is pumping up from your BST get your wetsuite/harness/get boards (that's if car is close like it is with us)....then run out lines from your kite and boom ya off!

That would be even quicker surely.

Return to “Kitesurfing”