Drew22
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tpa
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wave Kite blues

Postby Drew22 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:16 pm

So i have been flying a new wave kite for 5 or so sessions and I like alot about them but I have one issue. The kites are completely gutless on the lowend. I was full powered on my 9 struggling while my frienf was cranking on his 7. Same issue with the 11m. Can anyone recommend a wave kite with decent low end and turning speed. When the wind is perfect these kites are killer but I dont wanna ride a 11 in 20 knots I wanna ride small.

Drew22
Medium Poster

Re: Wave Kite blues

Postby Drew22 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:20 pm

Also I ride mainly side and side on.

ChristoffM
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan and Cape Town.
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in the Cape, South Africa.
Style: Hydrofoils! (And surf and old school)
Gear: Cape Town Foilboard and Spotz hydrofoils.
Any kite that can keep up with the hydrofoils.
Brand Affiliation: Cape Town Foilboards

Postby ChristoffM » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:45 pm

I suspect that the more a kite is dedicated to waves, the more it has to sacrifice low end, but maybe I am wrong. I actually prefer riding underpowered, which means getting a surfbaord that is better in light wind might be another option to consider. A bigger board also get more energy out of the wave for a more surfing feel (less kite pull) if the waves are small.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi,
Please try to test a Switchkites Method, these kites have a good lowend power, good drift and so on.
I have 80 kg use a airush compact5'6 waveboard
9m l use from 13/14 knts
7m l use from 18/19 knts
5m l use from 25/26 knts

This all without pulling depower you can extend the high range with using the other knots on the powerlines.
And another good point, the prices are interesting! :o :wink:
Dude :cool2:

http://switchkites.com/headquarters/for ... f=5&t=2509

http://switchkites.com/products/kites/method2.html
Last edited by naishdude on Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:33 pm

If you go for a "low end" kite, you will lose windrange by a huge margin.

But if you have never "liked" being able to kill the power in the kite anyways (like most of us waveriders prefer), you can just go for a more powerful kite instead.

What determines a wavekite ?

IMO, it is the ability to dump power, as first priority.
And of course, 4 lines only.
Able to relaunch fast - but this goes for all kites today, so does not matter really...

Drift ?

Kites drift well today, and if you ride aggresive it does not matter much, so not that important IMO.

The "older" Evos are kites with HUGE lowend (and the worst windrange of course - you can not get both), so with these you can ride one size smaller than your friends.

That is one of the most extreme I know of.

So you can choose any kite "in between", if you are not keen on classic waveride features, but want more power instead.

You forgot to mention your weight ?

REALLY important.

If light, you will typically want power dump kites, if heavy, you want grunt kites :naughty:

8) Peter

blacktip
Frequent Poster

Postby blacktip » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:50 pm

Sounds like a great kite Drew. Get a bigger board!

Drew22
Medium Poster

Postby Drew22 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Im 180lbs, get a bigger board? I ride surfboards only from 5'7" to 5'9". I dont need crazy grunt I just need kite with a little backbone. I live in Fl it doesnt blow 30 here alot and when it does I will be damned if im riding a 9. An 11m shouldnt need to be flown like a fighter jet in 17 to 18 knots. Seriously im going downwind with the current in 2-3 foot waves looping the kite and sinking. Im not gonna ride a giant board in in by fl standards good conditions.

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Postby cleepa » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:34 pm

Try a Cloud!

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:40 pm

Drew22 wrote:Im 180lbs, get a bigger board? I ride surfboards only from 5'7" to 5'9". I dont need crazy grunt I just need kite with a little backbone. I live in Fl it doesnt blow 30 here alot and when it does I will be damned if im riding a 9. An 11m shouldnt need to be flown like a fighter jet in 17 to 18 knots. Seriously im going downwind with the current in 2-3 foot waves looping the kite and sinking. Im not gonna ride a giant board in in by fl standards good conditions.
By the way....Switchkites have a pretty good 11m too :wink:
Dude :cool2:

vkngktr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: AirRush, Amundson Customs

Postby vkngktr » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:17 pm

I have to agree that any kite designed specifically for waves are poor low end performers. I have been riding Best Cabos and have tried others such as Drifters and I am always on a bigger kite and find they are poor upwind performers. They are deigned to sit back in the window hence better drift but a sacrifice in upwind ability. I just switched to Airush Lithiums and found the upwind performance of my 7m better than my 9 Cabo with the same wind. The Lithiums are definitely more punchy in gusts which is troublesome since I mostly ride strapless. I do like the light bar pressure, ability to handle gusts and wind range of the wave kites. If I am confident the wind will stay strong or I'm doing a downwinder I opt for the Cabo.

Return to “Kitesurfing”