Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

kook alert

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

kook alert

Postby matth » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:23 pm

It was blowing 30 to 40mph gusting to 60.

http://masskiting.com/kiteboarding-foru ... ment-65651

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: kook alert

Postby Laughingman » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:40 pm

that kite looks way to big for those conditions, even the kite in the water in the first set of pics looks to big, what size where all these people flying that day...
5m should have been the largest imho.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:41 am

I can see it now, bunch of locals standing around just watching....with the 'I'm just here to get my sesh in' attitude letting this douche bag risk their entire access...if they cant get their act together, work as a team and step in, then perhaps they deserve to loose their access...

jens
Medium Poster
Local Beach: madison wi
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jens » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:08 am

the shot of him upsidedown with only his legs out of the water is classic.

it is really surprising that people like this even make it long enough in life to demonstrate their stupidity while attempting to kite.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:20 am

jens wrote:the shot of him upsidedown with only his legs out of the water is classic.

it is really surprising that people like this even make it long enough in life to demonstrate their stupidity while attempting to kite.
that water is only a few feet deep where he is

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:50 am

jens wrote:the shot of him upsidedown with only his legs out of the water is classic.
This trick was named in 2006:

:rollgrin: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2325141

I meant to do that...
Last edited by jakemoore on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:54 am

So let me get this straight. A newbie that knew no better tried to rig and ride in gusty conditions while experienced kiters stood, watched and took photo's?

Then after he hammered himself the experience crew told him off for being inexperienced?

It seems the kooks are the experience guys who did not intervene soon enough to prevent a potential accident in the making.

matth
Very Frequent Poster

Postby matth » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:14 am

plummet wrote:So let me get this straight. A newbie that knew no better tried to rig and ride in gusty conditions while experienced kiters stood, watched and took photo's?

Then after he hammered himself the experience crew told him off for being inexperienced?

It seems the kooks are the experience guys who did not intervene soon enough to prevent a potential accident in the making.
He was told to stop.....
This is a top notch kite community in Boston, lots of info , lots of support. Far from kooks.
I think you would be hard pressed to find a better group.

Outside
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Outside » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:44 am

NYKiter wrote:I can see it now, bunch of locals standing around just watching....with the 'I'm just here to get my sesh in' attitude letting this douche bag risk their entire access...if they cant get their act together, work as a team and step in, then perhaps they deserve to loose their access...
NYKiter, perhaps you are being unduly harsh on the locals? Have you kited there? I have not, but if it is anything like my local spot, controlling other people and their actions is close to impossible.

We are continually under threat of losing our access, yet have zero authority to control the actions of kiters. Even the authorities in charge of our beach have difficulty enforcing anything due to jurisdictional issues.

Gentle persuasion sometimes works, but usually ends up in a verbal spat and none of us kiteboard for the excitement of an argument with another beachgoer.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:00 am

plummet wrote:So let me get this straight. A newbie that knew no better tried to rig and ride in gusty conditions while experienced kiters stood, watched and took photo's?

I'm curious as to how you can tell someone is a potential accident in the making before they, what, set up? Launch?

Gotta be pretty hard job to tell someone to pack it in and come back another day cos they're a danger to themselves and others... especially with the sense of entitlement many have.

Recently had a conversation with someone trying to rebuild a bar system with swivels to stop the depower- and safety lines from twisting. It went round and round, and I finally twigged that the guy didn't know what he was on about. I politely & obscurely suggested that... and got told off: "I'm not a newb, don't talk down to me, I know what I'm doing" etc etc.

However, he got some advice from a local shop and learned that all he had to do to untwist the lines was... unspin the bar :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”