Style: Strapless Surfboard
Gear: '19 Cabrinha Drifter 11m
'17 Cabrinha Drifter 8m
North Cross kiteboard
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Chicken loop replacement for old bar

Postby Rossta » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:42 pm

I'm still pretty new to the sport and need some help. My chicken loop has deteriorated and I need to replace it. The bar set up I have I bought from the guy I bought the kite from. It has been altered-it has a cabrinha bar but a best depower system and best chicken loop and the center lines that connect to the chicken loop have been changed(they look bigger). I haven't been able to find an exact replacement for the chicken loop I have probably because it is so old. The only thing I have found that may work is a best RP V2 chicken loop. I'm just not sure if the blue lines I have will fit into the new chicken loop and how they actually run through it. Also I don't have a single red depower line to attach my leash to. Would I have to add one somehow. I know some of you may say to just buy a new bar and lines but I'm trying not to spend a lot of money at the moment. I have attached a picture to show you what I have. Any advice you are willing to share is much appreciated!
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (123.71 KiB) Viewed 3434 times

slightlyimperfect
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Slave Lake
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chicken loop replacement for old bar

Postby slightlyimperfect » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:55 pm

Firstly, I don't know if I'd trust that bar...
Check the lines closely as well.

But here is a good place for replacement parts:

http://switchkites.com/warehouse_comp/i ... 57cd7abd7d

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:56 pm

Rossta Mr.slightlyimperfect is right, I would not trust this CL any more because of the wear and tear. You can find used or new CL accessories from different companies in order to replace what you have now. I think I do have few used CL you can have for FREE since I don't use them any more. All you have to do is pay for shipping.
This is my email: dimitri@epickites.com and yes I am the owner of EPICKITES.COM

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:40 pm

u should take up dimitri on his offer. But here is what I do when my chicken line loop gets that old

1) buy some dyneema of the right diameter. I get out a tape measure and figure out the thickness and buy more of the same. Amsteel blue is an easy to find brand of dyneema
2) buy some high pressure tubing of the correct size
3) cut both tubing and dyneema to the correct size
4) splice loops on the dyneema. If you have never spliced before you need to learn, it's a skill that will let you buy regular line for chicken lines, bridles, leaders and splice loops so you make your own kite replacement parts. I won't detail how to splice here.
5) sew the new chicken line to some kite line and use that to pull it through the high pressure hose, it will be a tight fit.
6) take apart old chicken loop
7) add new chicken loop and reassemble.

total cost should be less than $10. When I do this replacement on my bars I usually replace any worn leaders, chicken lines or safety lines. I never replace my kite lines I just ride those until they snap.

By the way, I am not a fan of those older best control systems. They don't usually have enough throw when they flag out to fully depower the kite, so when you get in trouble you end up ditching the kite too often. You can buy a brand new last year's naish control bar from 2012 for $350, it has single line flagging and cheap for a new bar, but sounds like it is out of your price range.

Rossta
Rare Poster
Weight: 175
Local Beach: Neptune Beach, FL
'17 Cabrinha Drifter 8m
North Cross kiteboard

Postby Rossta » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks for all the helpful information. edt I don't think I am up for the task that you describe but maybe something further down the road to learn. It looks like switch kites has some good replacement parts that I think I could put together and make it work for cheap. It looks like I would just need their QR chicken loop and theIR chicken loop lines and 5th line
http://switchkites.com/warehouse_comp/p ... ucts_id=67
http://switchkites.com/warehouse_comp/p ... ucts_id=62
The question I have now is how do the chicken loop lines attach to the depower straps? Right now the chicken loop line(my blue line) just goes up and through the stainless buckle. Would I do the same with the new chicken loop lines. I attached a couple pictures of the way its set up now. Does everything look like its set up ok?
What about that metal loop in the middle of my bar? That's going to be banging against the QR. Problem?
I know I really just need a new setup but I need to get better and get more into the sport before I throw down a lot of money.
Thanks so much for all the help!
Attachments
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (128.05 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (179.95 KiB) Viewed 3313 times

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:54 pm

What kite are you flying with this bar? The depower throw looks pretty short (distance from chicken loop to bottom of trim strap)

This set up is not ideal. Where do you attach your leash? Attaching to the ring at the end of the blue line DOES NOT kill the power of the kite andy more than just letting go of the bar.

I know it's tough to lay out a lot of money when you are starting out, but surviving long enough to get good is worth the money :thumb:

For under $200 you can go on ebay or ikite and buy a lightly used bar that is a year or two old.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:56 am

rossta you should learn more about control bars before you build your own. Start with looking up the difference between a mini-5th true 5th and single center flagging these are the three three types of control bars. that metal loop is called a "micro hook" you don't actually have the rest of the micro hook attachments on your bar. I would hacksaw it off if you aren't using it. There is a lot to learn before you build your own control bar. If you screw up the bar because you get something wrong, well, I know $350 for a control bar seems like a lot of money but a broken leg is more expensive.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:26 am

edt wrote:rossta you should learn more about control bars before you build your own. Start with looking up the difference between a mini-5th true 5th and single center flagging these are the three three types of control bars. that metal loop is called a "micro hook" you don't actually have the rest of the micro hook attachments on your bar. I would hacksaw it off if you aren't using it. There is a lot to learn before you build your own control bar. If you screw up the bar because you get something wrong, well, I know $350 for a control bar seems like a lot of money but a broken leg is more expensive.
Death is also more expensive in more ways then one.....

Rossta
Rare Poster
Weight: 175
Local Beach: Neptune Beach, FL
'17 Cabrinha Drifter 8m
North Cross kiteboard

Postby Rossta » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:46 am

Thanks for the advice. I have a '09 Waroo 13M that I use this bar with. So far I have managed not to get hurt but you guys are right. I just need to show this thread to my wife and maybe I can convince her to let me spend the money :wink:

So what bar and line setups would work with my kite? Or would it be better to ask which ones would not work with my kite? That way I can rule those out. Also what size bar? I would assume a larger bar, 22inch (55cm)? Anywhere other than ebay or ikite that would be a good place to look?

Thanks again for the help!

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:28 am

Hello Rossta,
I got your PM message few hours ago but some how when I'm replying it comes back as an error. So I am responding to your PM on this thread since it's not private at all what you are asking.
Ok, It is going to be the complete CL that you can attache to your Depower Strap. The CL will include the nice grey spectra line. All you have to do is pay for shipping, but also you have to customize it a little and make sure the length of the middle is the same then the outside lines but again that depends what kite you are riding.
Once again you can always email me at: dimitri@epickites.com for more info.

P.S. By the way, the blue line you are using is not what you should use because they do stretch a lot and won't last. You need some Spectra 8mm line. I think I might have some spare one you can have also. But you can find this at any Marine store.

Return to “Kitesurfing”