All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kiting Kauai?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:15 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hey whats up everyone, I'm headed to Kauai on August 4-11 and I was wondering how to get some gear (rent or buy) on island. Also if there are any good spots for people to start learning at. I have some family that I want to teach or maybe finding an instructor.
THANKS

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Kiting Kauai?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:18 pm 
Frequent Poster

There is a very small kite community on Kauai. Only about a handful of guys. There is no kite shop, kite schools or kite gear rental places that I have ever seen or know of. I've been there a few times for kiting and there are some great kite spots but none that I really know of that would be good for learning. Every spot I've been to is pretty advanced. The best spot for learning that I can think of would probably be Anini Beach up on the North side of the island. Fairly shallow with a somewhat sandy bottom but the problem you are going to have with the spots that are actually shallow enough to be able to stand up and learn is that there is alot of reef and lava rock on the bottom. No fun to walk on and try to learn. Lots of reef and big rocks at all the spots I've kited so no good for deep water learning either. However, someone else may know something that I don't....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:36 pm 
Medium Poster

Since learning to kite is a bit like trolling yourself along for any big fish that may be around, Kauai and it's Tiger Sharks would like to encourage any plump, soft and delicious human beings to come hither ASAP and do all your initial learning and the resultant swimming. That would be fabulous. Place is pretty sharky and very very exposed to all big swell, and current. Bruce Irons yes. Laird, by all means. Aspiring new kiters, maybe not.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:11 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Jut a quick reminder to not stand or walk on live reef. :)

Anini you'd combat with snorklers and swimmers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:48 pm 
Medium Poster

I agree with what everyone else said. The beaches are mostly narrow with palm trees or rocks. The water is either deep or shallow live reef. Waves and current will also be an issue if there is enough wind to kite. Enjoy your vacation but forget giving anyone in your family you do not hate a lesson.

Bring all of your own gear and be sure of your ability. Look for other kites in the sky. If you see a few ask if you can join them. If you do not see any there may be a reason. It is not the hardest place in the world but the ocean in Kauai is no joke.

[ 5 posts ]